Start by marking “Mother Teresa” as Want to Read:
Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa

A sensitive, perceptive biography written with Mother Teresa's full cooperation and encouragement. Describes this living saint's mission of faith and the principles that guide her.
Published October 1st 1996 by Element Books (first published October 12th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Teresa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Teresa

Start your review of Mother Teresa
Katie
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago - it came into my life at a time I needed it - I enjoyed the book and was humbled by all that she gave - with that said there is a part of me that is sad that she gave up so much and that after her death her writings detailed how detached she felt from God - this was depressing to me on many levels - I do think anyone with a brain questions - but I do not believe God is about scarcity but is about abundance - for someone to give all of themselves and have so little joy ...more
Anil Swarup
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very rarely do you come across personalities who dedicated their lives for selfless service on the scale as Mother Teresa. What the book does so beautifully is to portray her persona so vividly. This could have only been done by someone who knew her well and took the trouble to know her. Various instance narrated in the book are touching. They create an indelible impression on the mind of the reader. Eminent personalities and institutions have honoured and described Mother Teresa but the one pro ...more
Mandi
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What an inspiring person! I wish I could have met her.
Amarilis
Nov 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Such a remarkable woman.
Robin
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I have great respect for her. Her Christ-like charity is an example for everyone. This book is so moving.
Ashlyn
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mother Teresa by Navin Chawla is a biography of the beloved Mother Teresa. Have you ever wondered how someone can so caring for other people? In this book it expresses why Mother Teresa decided to do what she care about the most, helping the people in need.

This biography explain how many things she has done for the people in need. Starting with nothing but faith she began to do many things for these people, setting up institutions for the destitute, the handicapped, orphans, the leprosy-affected
Chris
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Wow! I have read other reviews that remark a Christian should have written her biography. Navin is a Hindu, but refers to himself as "near atheist". Who better to write a biography than one who is sceptical? He writes of the facts, which include miracles that occur everyday. Mother Teresa herself tells him about these miracles, "if you pray, you will see them". He writes facts which no one can dispute. Main point, God can use anyone to accomplish His will.
Luci
Sep 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: faith
A biography written by one of her friends (though not a confidant), who had both love and awe for this saint during her lifetime. His perspective as a Hindu gave an interesting view of her life and work through an unexpected lens. A good biography that I didn't want to put down, I only wish it had covered her period of doubt for so much of her ministry.
Isabella
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
everybody should find out about her
Prasenjit
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A role model of service before self. She was a living God.
Da-ri-ko
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think everyone should read this book.
Sushmita
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A role model of service before self. She was a living God.
Prakhar Prateek
There are a lot of things that I personally disagree with that mother Teresa holds sacred. Some of the things are her devotion to religion, anti abortion and no business sense. But I must admit and commend her love for humanity which has inspired me to try and contribute to humanity. Whatever insignificant contribution that my life can have on this world, I will ensure that is for the better off this world.
I loved of she didn't force her beliefs on others and said I want them to be a better hind
Kay Johnson
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
A definitive biography of Mother Teresa. I'm reading this one in a book club with a few friends. She is an intriguing character, certainly admirable and compelling. I am sometimes confused with what seems a fascination with suffering, but I am perhaps misreading her. I certainly will not presume to judge her! I am taking away some good lessons about serving those around me as a gift of love to Jesus, even if those around me are not always lovable.
Rusty-11780
Jul 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Rusty-11780 by: no one
MT loves the church and she loves god, but she only loves the poor as proxies for Jesus. MT said that without her suffering for god, all the work she did was JUST social work. She provided inadequate medical care, she took large amounts of money from unsavory donors, and she secretly did unrequested death bed baptisms to increase her body/soul count for jesus. The more I read about her, the more I find that she is no Mother Teresa.
Jaime
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a detailed autobiography of the humble Yugoslavian girl who became the beloved Mother Theresa, the patron saint of the poor of India. While well-written, it is the saintly woman's struggles and love for mankind that holds the reader's interest. A close friend wrote this biography and there are many intimate and private looks into the life and heart of this servant. After reading this book, one will treasure this godly nun who was a selfless servant of those with less than nothing.
Scott
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this before my trip to Calcutta. Finished the book in one day, and looked up to see that it was the same day as the anniversary of her death. If there are other heroes in the world, they must look upwards at Ma T. Visited and volunteered at Motherhouse and Home for the Dying. If you aren't religious, you may give it some thought after being at either of these places.
Akshara Soman
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that inspired me a lot... I read it in my childhood, but I'm writing this review now because of its great influence in shaping my thoughts and giving answers to some questions I faced later in my life. The book showed me a different facet of life around us. It gives the meaning of selfless life, love and faith.
Jen Shank
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I love Mother Teresa like everyone else on the planet but I feel this author was a novice at best and failed to pull me in. That being said, Mother Teresa still managed to shine through enough for me to love her even more.
Angie
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book several years ago for a college class and was very touched and inspired by Mother Theresa's stories and messages. This is an insightful book for anyone no matter what their religious beliefs may be.
Jim Lavis
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This woman is a saint in my eyes. I love biography's in the first place, but read and learning the life's story of Mother Teresa brought tears to my eyes. How can anyone be so selfless and giving like Mother Teresa?

It's a book I'll read again and again.
Sjlovealive
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the life of Love, who in the heart of one woman changed the world
Charity
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
Slow read, couldn't finish it.
Lauren
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, history
Reading about all Mother Teresa has done, makes me want to do better at finding ways to help the poor, sick, handicapped, etc. She saw a need and found ways to make it possible to help.
Tiffany Honn
Fascinating Woman, this book is interesting. It gave me a humbling perspective on life and a desire to be more charitable.
Dhanaraj Rajan
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good introduction on Mother Teresa and her work. An inspiring biography for a Christian.
Brendaarmenta
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
it was a very touching book what she did was so cute and i think she is just an amazing person.
Meg
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the life story and work of Mother Teresa. Interesting and a woman to be admired for what she did for the poor and dying! Her life was one of service for others and love of God.
Rohit Mishra
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
The biography of Mother Teresa, it is very detailed and will tell you a lot about her life, work and what she did and why she did it. This is a must read book on Mother Teresa.
Rizky Amaliya

• The Garden of The Prophet
  • The Illustrated Guide to World Religions
  • National Geographic Concise History of the World: An Illustrated Time Line
  • Lonely Planet on a Shoestring: Africa
  • The Spiritual Traveler: England, Scotland, Wales: The Guide to Sacred Sites and Pilgrim Routes in Britain
  • The Timechart History of the World: 6000 Years of World History Unfolded
  • Ancient Egypt: Civilizations of the Nile Valley from Pharaohs to Farmers
  • The Intellectual Devotional: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Roam Confidently with the Cultured Class
  • Between Heaven and Mirth: Why Joy, Humor, and Laughter Are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life
  • In God We Trust: A Positive Faith for Troubled Times
  • Mother Teresa's Prescription: Finding Happiness and Peace in Service
  • God: A Biography
  • Long Walk to Freedom
  • Essential Korean Phrasebook  Dictionary: Speak Korean with Confidence!
  • A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam