Start by marking “The Wellness Encyclopedia of Food and Nutrition: How to Buy, Store, and Prepare Every Variety of Fresh Food” as Want to Read:

The single most authoritative guide to shopping and eating for better health and a longer life: The Wellness Encyclopedia of Food and Nutrition, with a directory of every nutrient from beta carotene to zinc.

Here is a comprehensive guide to more than 500 fresh and whole food -- all the familiar ones you are likely to find in a supermarket or greengrocer's, along with more e
Hardcover, First Edition, 512 pages
Published September 29th 1992 by Rebus

To ask other readers questions about The Wellness Encyclopedia of Food and Nutrition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wellness Encyclopedia of Food and Nutrition

Paul
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable & remarkably accessible reference on precisely what the subtitle says: how to buy, how to store, and how best to prepare fresh food.

Regarding that last: this is not a cookbook, which is one reason why I find it so useful. I've got several very nice cookbooks; they tend to accumulate dust for years at a time. But this I use on at least a monthly basis. What they mean by "how best to prepare" food is on the level of the following partial entry on serving apricots (chosen a
Sharon
Sep 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People getting started on healthy eating
This book was my best resource when I first took an interest in the nuances of eating healthily. Although I now aspire to learn the art of traditional cuisines, which have nutrition built into them, this book was a great launching place for me as I waded through the grocery store: Which melon is healthier, honeydew or cantalope? What are the pros and cons of bulghur vs. couscous vs. quinoa? How much of a difference is there between the nutritional profile of kale vs. spinach? How can I pick out ...more
Jennifer Fenwick
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: food & nutrition enthusiasts
I have used this book more than any other book I have owned. It gives a nutrition overview of every food imaginable. It gives you tips on how to prepare each type of food, how to pick the freshest individual foods at the grocery store, and it has lots of little random tidbits of info thrown around. Awesome book.
Gretchen Heimlich
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my most oft-referenced book. I wish they would publish a new edition, but this one is still great, I love it. Includes nutritional information, interesting facts, shopping tips, storage, preparation and cooking tips of practically every fruit, vegetable, grain, seed, nut, or meat you're likely to come across. And I've probably forgotten some things...
Tat
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a wonderful reference book for the kitchen. The book is divided into sections: vegetables, fruits, dairy, meat, grains, etc. Each section lists individual foods, and for each food entry, there is information on proper storage, shelf life, nutritional benefits (and detriments, if any), and ideas about food preparation and serving.
Nand
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book as a ready reference. Not only does it have a wide array of nutritional information, on a huge variety of produce but gives recommendations on basic preparations. I've had it for many years now.
Burgess (Burgie)
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A friend of mine had a copy because it was on her reading list for school (she was getting her MA in nutrition). I ordered it off of abe.com for $1.
Tammy Abode
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Must have book . Everyone should own one
Dorothy
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is my favorite food guide. Basic common sense and fun with food...all kinds of food. I read this all the time.
Carlos Santos