Start by marking “A Glimpse of Heaven: One Woman's Life-Altering Visit with God” as Want to Read:
A Glimpse of Heaven: One Woman's Life-Altering Visit with God

A Glimpse of Heaven: One Woman's Life-Altering Visit with God

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Through both personal and spiritual experiences, JoAnna Lynn Oblander guides us to a deeper understanding of our heavenly home. Shared within the covers of this book are experiences and insights that will remind you of God's great love for each of His children, His desire to be a daily part of our lives, and that each of us has come to earth to fulfill a unique and importa ...more
Published January 8th 2012 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about A Glimpse of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Glimpse of Heaven

Kathy
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book was full of so many great nuggets of wisdom and truth. I found myself agreeing with all the authors insights and beliefs that she shared. This book just radiated faith and hope and the love God has for us. Through Joanna's sharing of her very personal struggles and trials I was left feeling like I could over come the trials in my own life. I definitely have some work to do in my own life to develop the kind of relationship she has with God.
Heidi
This book touched my heart in many ways and not just because I'm a member of the same church as the author. Being an introvert myself, I know how hard it can be to share experiences and feelings with the world. It leaves one vulnerable. I admire the author for being so open when it was so hard for her to do so, something she admits in the book itself. I think the parts I related to the most were her internal struggles. Maintaining one's self worth in the face of a world that is so very focused o ...more
Tracy
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Spiritual People
This was another Goodreads giveaway I won. I am not a very religious person, but this book was actually quite touching to me. Very short read only 110 pages, read it in one sitting. Made me sit and think about what really is out there. I hope for something....I really would like to see my mom and Nana Nana again!
Shanda
A Glimpse of Heaven opens with the author, in the depths of despair, praying her last prayer after planning to commit suicide the next day. That night, as she slept, an angel came to her. She followed the angel and the experience that followed affected her greatly. She still struggled, felt pain and suffered with depression, however her perspective of the purpose of her life was forever changed.

As I read A Glimpse of Heaven, several of my own experiences were confirmed to me. Members of The Chur
Ruth Hill
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I will admit that I planned on giving this a rating of a 3 and then a 4. But the author won me over, and I can whole-heartedly give this book a rating of a five with only a few objections. I will mention those later. This is a fantastic true story from the author's own life that will inspire you.

I did not care for the first couple chapters. Why? Well, the author is a Mormon, and I have some very different views on heaven and angels and the afterlife. I was concerned that this was going to be th
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
JoAnna Lynn Oblander shares with us a very personal journey. The journey is her life. She lives a life that is very religiously inspired and by living such a life is able to help give some ways that we can conquer the challenges that we have through our relationship with deity.

I was able to incorporate some of her experiences and see the similarities with my life. We have many of the same core values. She helped me to reflect on my life and ways that I can improve in different aspects.

I need to
Adella
Feb 26, 2012 marked it as to-read
It's books like this that really give me hope about the existence of God. Being that I am Agnostic. I think this would be an inspirational and moving read.
Holly Olsen
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worthwhile, quick read.

I really enjoyed reading JoAnna's testimony of a personal relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Especially the emphasis on personal prayer. The whole story seemed to be building to a climax of finding her son and daughter, but then I was left wanting to know what happened next. I'm certain there were trials and lessons learned as she raised these last two children, but there were very few details given of this stage. That was disappointing to me. Overall, it
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
As you can tell from the summary above, this is a very religious book with faith in God being at the center of it's message. JoAnna Oblander takes us on a extremely personal journey though her life. She talks about depression and suicide, adoption, chronic pain and family. Through it all you will feel her devotion to God.

There are so many hard things that we all experience in life. One thing that I think those experiences can teach us is how to be more compassionate to others who may be experie
Janiece
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, resonating so much with her experiences and truths that she shared. Having so many shared experiences with the author, I appreciated very much her ability to share and describe her experiences. Easily recognized her path to healing included attention to mind, body, spirit and emotion. While the emphasis was on the spiritual truths, there is much more to be gained from her experience. A great book for anyone needing healing of any sort, reassurance of God's love or the ...more
Julie
May 29, 2013 added it
Yikes I can't rate a book that feels like I was just snooping in someone's private journal - like rating the book is rating HER and her personal experience. Recommended to me because of the adoption aspect...which is intensely interesting. She talks in the book about her adoption experiences, several very personal visits from/to heaven and her severe depression and considering suicide. I can't imagine publishing a book like that had those experiences been mine!
Swhite
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I was definitely supposed to read this book. The insight into our pre-existence as beings we only catch a glimpse of in this life, lifted my self-perception and self-acceptance to a new level. Her experiences with prayer and promptings and figuring out what they really meant and why was also interesting. There are many different ways our Heavenly Father supports us and prods us on to accomplish our earthly missions, develope faith in Him and seeks to bless our life now and for eternity.
Melanie
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am of the same beliefs as the author and thoroughly enjoyed this. I LOVED reading about her vision of the pre-mortal world...it brought me some very interesting insights that I know will help me through many experiences of this life to see things in a new perspective. I am inspired by her faith through the many difficult challenges she has faced in life. Very interesting read!
Natalie Pyles
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a memoir of a mother who has hit rock bottom. She delivers her vision at the very beginning of the book. The spiritual lessons that she learns help her endure her suffering and struggles, and eventually overcome them. Themes include depression, parenthood, adoption, pain management and faith. This book is uplifting, quick and insightful.
5 stars
Saraelizabeth
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The author of this book had some amazing experiences that really made me think about the life before and what I'm doing with my life now. It got a little repetitive in some parts. But whenever she shared her experiences, visions, etc. there was a lot to learn.
Susan
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
I really enjoyed this true story about Joanna's journey to the pre-mortal world and about her other spiritual experiences. It taught me a lot about prayer and about turning my life over to Heavenly Father.
Shawnna
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an inspirational book that helped me to see beyond what's happening in my life right now. It gave me an "eternal perspective". I highly reccommend it to anyone interested in learning more about God's love for each of us, no matter where we are in life.
Andrea
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting book that kept me reading. He had a lot of interesting spiritual experiences and it was nice to see how through the help of the Lord she was able to make it through such trails.
Kimberly
I have always been interested in the after life and this women's story is fascinating. It makes me sad that so many people don't take her story more seriously!
Robyn
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is short, it is quick to read, but after reading it my thoughts kept turning to her story. It made me consider my own beliefs and I love it.
Sheridan
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
Another sort of near death experience book, in this one the author views the per-existance.
Interesting, also she shares her experience on being led to adopt a child.
Lori
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked that I could relate to so much of her story and found some good lessons in her experiences.
Wendy Buchanan
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved the first half of the book, but then I felt it got too preachy. But I do appreciate her sharing her amazing experiences!
Angelia Bell
Nov 11, 2014
Rodney Fife
Apr 09, 2014
JoAnna Oblander
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
JoAnna Weekes Oblander is the recipient of a near death experience in which she witnessed a personal meeting with God. She entered that experience as a severely depressed, headache-ridden woman who was determined to end her torment. She emerged from her experience determined to get well and build a profoundly meaningful life. In the years immediately succeeding her experience, she worked relentles ...more
More about JoAnna Lynn Oblander...