Start by marking “A Small Book About Drugs” as Want to Read:
A Small Book About Drugs

A Small Book About Drugs

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Most people who use recreational drugs haven't had their lives destroyed, aren't living on the streets, and enjoy normal and unscathed relationships with families, friends and the world. So why is it that discussion about drugs and drug policy only reflects tragedy that ends with death, jail or addiction? Why is it that the only politically acceptable position on the use o ...more
Published August 2011 by Allen & Unwin (first published July 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Small Book About Drugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Small Book About Drugs

Adam Shand
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Wellington Central Library has become my home away from home. Or I suppose more accurately, my office away from office. I spend a lot of time there reading, writing and nerding (on the occasions when the free wireless actually works).

My favourite way to find books is to check seats for books which people have picked up and abandoned. I find all manner of interesting books that I never would have picked up otherwise. I've also learned that there is a a certain set of display shelves which al
Lucy
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
A briskly executed, yet still compelling read; this book presents some very interesting issues about drug use, and the need to expand the debate about drugs. Despite her repetitiveness, Pyror is ultimately quite convincing, and I am always happy to be made a little less ignorant.
Johnson Pang
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this for one of my uni subjects (first year). This is a clear, concise and well written book dealing with the issue of drugs, particularly in regard to young people. It's thought provoking and raises the underlying hypocrisies when comparing drug-taking and alcohol use and provides ways of addressing issues that drug-taking raises in our current society (mainly Australia).

While I loathe anything that is forced upon me through school, uni, etc. I enjoyed this book and it leaves you wantin
Sunny Flynn
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a piece of journalism, great. It is written well within a short number of words. Very thought provoking. I had an opportunity to meet with Lisa and she sounded more affirming in her written pieces. Although slightly outdated in Australia now, a good read for someone looking to expand their view of the world and how to be critical.
Niki Jacobs
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very thought provoking and insightful about something so entrenched in young Australian society. Have never been happier to be proven so ignorant about something we all do. Every young Australian + politician should be made to read.
Lyndee
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting and informative book. Pryor makes some unique and interesting points, all backed with sound statistics. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and felt that it was quite eye opening in terms of the perspective it presented.
Ruby
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Some interesting points, but I found the book a little dry and unengaging. Right in the final chapter, Lisa allowed her passion for the subject shine through. I enjoyed that chapter the most.
Andrew McMillen
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Engaging tone, great blend of research and personal anecdotes. Quite guarded and methodical in her style of writing but occasional flashes of insight and beauty.
Beth