Start by marking “Look at My Striped Shirt!: Confessions of the People You Love to Hate” as Want to Read:
Look at My Striped Shirt!: Confessions of the People You Love to Hate

Look at My Striped Shirt!: Confessions of the People You Love to Hate

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Target. Observe. Ridicule.

You run into them every day—the striped-shirt guy, the karaoke master, the dude with a pencil-thin beard, the guy who won’t shut up about his fantasy football team—characters who annoy, irritate, and incense us all. Based on the wildly popular essay on ThePhatPhree.com by Mike Polk, this book is a look inside the heads of the most infuriating douc
Paperback, First Edition, 192 pages
Published December 26th 2006 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Look at My Striped Shirt!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look at My Striped Shirt!

Adam
Sep 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Adam by: post college males w/ brains of 9th graders
Shelves: lamesauce
picked this one up after the dismal experience of 'avg american male' or whatever. thought that perhaps the genre is ok and the particular book bad. well that theory is out the window. striped shirt confirms that the genre grown men w/ minds of children does indeed exist. the text was mostly unreadable, not for lack of grammar, but rather for lack of interest. this book certainly disproves the old saw 'there are no boring things, only boring people' and in this case finding enjoyment herein indi ...more
Suede
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: burnit
seriously? this book averages a 4.20? wtf? can i get my money back?

the reason I bought this book was because I was interested that tucker max's book was a nyt bestseller.

tucker max is an imbecile.

so i can't buy his book. and i TRIED to read it at a bookstore without actually purchasing it. but it's so bad and so so so offensive that i just couldn't "enlighten" myself in that way.

so i took your advice, mr. goodreads, and i bought this book instead. i read exactly 52 pages (approximately 40 on the
cathy
May 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is not featured in this book.
Shelves: popculture-read
Some stereotypes are for a reason, and this book serves as the Rich Little of a-holes. It’s one of those super-quick reads with lots of filler and a couple of standout, pee-your-pants essays from the point of view of jackasses you love to hate (and mock). There’s the “cool” high school teacher, naked locker room guy, the music snob, meathead at the gym, ballgame streaker, Hooters waitress, vacuous post-college woman on a freeloading date, etc.--they are all here. The contributors really do their ...more
John Rivera
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
A friend of mine lent me this book, so I put down what I was reading and indulged myself. This is a book with a series of short stories, most of which are in the first-person, about the kinds of people that annoy the hell out of everyone--each done with brutal humor. I laughed my ass off reading this book, but generally found these stories to be a hit or a miss, either very funny or not funny at all.
Whitney
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
hilarious. i gave it three stars because i could only relate to some of the stories/people. the stories just aren't as funny when they don't relate to your life or the people you've encountered. there are MANY stories though, and when you find one you like or can relate to, it really is outrageously funny.
Maryam
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any one with the ability to think for themselves
Recommended to Maryam by: The new books display at Barnes and Nobles
I loved this book because it validates the point I've been trying to make my whole life... That most people are self-centered jerks. Which is why I don't like most people. Except for you. I like you...maybe. But the book is really funny. It's a good quick read because it keeps you laughing. Once you've read it, it makes a a good bathroom book. It's funny in there too.
jennifer
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a weird book.It's humorous essays supposedly written by the most annoying segments of the American population, like the couple who will fight to be the first off a plane, the convenience store clerk who hates his customers or the office coordinator who barely restrains her rage in a memo about stolen snacks. Pretty funny and accurate.
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"I'm just like one of the guys! Hey, can I be in your fantasy football league? I think I'll take Joe Montana as my first pick. Then I'll take LeBron James followed by Indiana Jones."

Okay, so not EVERY essay in this book was great, but enough of them were. I laughed so hard my face hurt.

And by the way...my business cards are glossy and magnificent!
Oi Yin
Mar 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who can make fun of themselves and others ;-)
Satirical essays by a bunch of sarcastic guys who say all those things you're thinking to yourself but would only admit to your girlfriends. It's one of those fluff books that you'd read to empty your mind for a meatier read.
Patrick
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
Funny essays told from the perspective of various douchebag archetypes, like "I am the master of karaoke," "Let me tell you about my fantasy football team," and "That bartender is totally into me." From a patmagazine-esque website called thephatphree.com.
  • The Truth About Chuck Norris: 400 Facts About the World's Greatest Human
  • The Day I Turned Uncool: Confessions of a Reluctant Grown-up
  • The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times
  • French Quarter Fiction: The Newest Stories of America's Oldest Bohemia
  • I'm Having More Fun Than You
  • Faking It: How to Seem Like a Better Person Without Actually ImprovingYourself
  • Flights of Passage: Recollections of a World War II Aviator
  • Give War a Chance: Eyewitness Accounts of Mankind's Struggle Against Tyranny, Injustice, and Alcohol-Free Beer
  • In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century
  • It's Happy Bunny: What's Your Sign?
  • D-Day with the Screaming Eagles
  • Serenade to the Big Bird
  • Crossworld: One Man's Journey into America's Crossword Obsession
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Easy Ways to Love the Difficult People in Your Life
  • Saved From Silence
  • A Secret Word: A Novel
  • Where Do Nudists Keep Their Hankies?: ... and Other Naughty Questions You Always Wanted Answered