Start by marking “Great British Bake Off: How to Bake: The Perfect Victoria Sponge and Other Baking Secrets” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  441 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This delightful cookbook takes you through the baking challenges from the second series of the Great British Bake Off and shows you how to achieve baking perfection. Throughout the book, Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood are on hand with practical tips to help you bake perfect cakes, biscuits, breads, pastries, pies and teatime treats every time, as well as showing you how to ...more
Published August 4th 2011 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Great British Bake Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great British Bake Off

Hazel Stanton
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I found that this book is a little basic in places, what you get out of it depends on your compancy level and I would suuggest that if you are a regular baker then perhaps opt out of this purchase. Having said that the book is beautifully photographed which helps anyone who is trying to learn a new baking skill. There are some nice recipes in it but if you are a viewer of the program then dont expect everything you saw on screen to be contained within the pages (something that I was a little ups ...more
Rory
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not really for me. I don't want to revisit all the contestants. We saw all that on the show. I have given the book to charity and not saved even one recipe; but then I am vegan and can't be bothered to try and change the recipes.

People who love baking may like it.
Jessica
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I enjoyed the layout and the pictures and while I don't necessarily want to try all the recipes, there were a few that I'd like to give a go. (Chocolate Chilli <--- very British I suspect, we would label it chile here --- Cake).
Rebecca tedder
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've really enjoyed looking through this book, I am going to be trying out some recipes in time but this is the PERFECT book for a not so experienced baker.

It shows pictures and step by step pages (ideal for those times you wonder if your sponge mix REALLY DOES look to thick) and for new bakers, this is great.

It also demostrates a wide range of recipes and twists on classics that sound exciting and worth trying.

This is one of the better baking books I have come across in recent months and rec
Elle
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
this is a pretty good baking book :)
nice recipe varieties and really nicely displayed/set out.
as well as this, there's good tips within the recipes to avoid some things happening (like scrambling the eggs in lemon curd etc) which is good for amateurs like me!
Only thing is that I would have liked a photo for nearly every recipe - i get that sometimes they take up space, but they make it easier to bake something, and make the book more good-looking overall!
Cara
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Free gift for subscribing to BBC Good Food magazine - well worth buying on it's own merits. If you enjoy baking then this book is a real treat. There are step-by-step guides to some of the technical challenges from this year's TV series (2011) and I am itching to try the chocolate roulade! Plenty of photos throughout and a wide range of recipes from the series. This book is a treasure trove of high quality baking recipes.
Josephine
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Brilliant for simple recipes to more impressive ones. The chocolate crackle cookies are really effective, as is the coffee and walnut battenburg (although wrapping the marzipan around it is a nightmare!)
Christine
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of the show, I think you'll love this book. Great baking tips, beautiful pictures and wonderful recipes from the show. Attention Americans: this book will force you to measure ingredients using grams, but it's worth it for serious bakers.
Rachel
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full of useful tips, glossy picyures, expert advice and most importantly yummy recipes! I Tried the pina colada macaroons at my husbands birthday party- they were a hit!
زاهي رستم
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Its a good book, with perfect recipes, but most of the ingredient is hard to find in my country. Thats why I will never try any in my kitchen... and I like its tips and secrets.
Hazey
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Success every bake a delightful cook book with cakes for all occasions.
Lili
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-drink
This is a good cake cookery book, plenty of choice, many simple recipes and some more intricate, delicious.
Matthew Morgan

$4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99