Start by marking “Buster's Sugartime” as Want to Read:
Buster's Sugartime

Buster's Sugartime

When his father takes him to visit Vermont, Buster sends postcards to his friends back home telling them what he is learning about maple syrup and the "mud season.
Published April 12th 2006 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Buster's Sugartime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buster's Sugartime

Start your review of Buster's Sugartime
Beverly Hendricks
Text-to-Self Connection

Buster's Sugartime by Marc Brown is an informative book. Buster and other characters from the Arthur book series introduces the reader to what sap in the tree is used for. The book begins by introducing children to vocabulary discussed in the story. It also begins a discussion of the history of the state of Vermont. I love the way Mr. Brown used his lovable character Buster to engage the reader. This book provides multiple lessons, from family, to geography, and language.
Lisa Vegan
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: level 2 early readers only
I was a little disappointed in this book. It’s a children’s book that really is for children. As an adult I wasn’t that entertained or informed. It’s a Passport to Reading Level 2 (of 3) book: “Increased vocabulary and longer sentences.”

I love maple syrup and I’m interested in the process it takes to make it. (I did have Pete Seeger’s “Maple Syrup Time” song running through my head as I was reading this.)

This story is fictional but includes facts about maple syrup too. It also has some real
Mikayla Wollan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is about Buster going to Vermont to see his friends with his dad. This book talks about various things buster got to do like gather wood for a bonfire and learning how to get maple syrup from a tree. Personally, I did not find this book super exciting because it was just about going to a new state and learning how to make maple. However, just because I did not find this book exciting does not mean my students will not.

This book is censored because it references to two different family
Meagan Fast
Apr 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
First, the book wasn't really educational at all--I picked it out assuming some new terms by my six year old son would be learned. Secondly, the fact there are same sex couples in here caused me to stop reading it out loud to my son halfway through. This review isn't to start a debate or discussion with anyone (so please save yourselves the trouble), but I feel with such a highly controversial topic, parents should be warned before allowing their children to be exposed to the material. Say what ...more
Nicki
The info about making syrup was accurate, but sparse.

The inclusion of not one, but two, lesbian couples in this book made it one we will not be reading a second time.

Beyond the Pages
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book! There are so many creative ways that it can be used. The layout is perfect. I'm hooked on using the Buster series as an educational resource.
PWRL
Aaliyah Hopkins
Jan 22, 2016
Emily Burke
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Buster's Sugartime was a cute story about his trip to Vermont. He tells his friends about what he is learning about maple syrup. Within the story, there is a lesbian couple. This reason is why the book is controversial. While I was reading some other reviews of this book, people were not happy with the inclusion this couple in this story. They said that for that reason they would not read this book again, nor would they recommend it. I believe that books are tools for learning and that children ...more
Nicole Schwartz
Kx
Feb 27, 2016
Christina
Mar 23, 2016
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his series of children's books about Arthur the aardvark, which was turned into an animated television show on PBS. Brown is a three-time Emmy Award winner, for his role on the television show inspired by his books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and