Start by marking “Rutland Place (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #5)” as Want to Read:
Rutland Place (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #5)

Rutland Place (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #5)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  3,577 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
A mystery set in Victorian England by the New York Times–bestselling author whose “novels attain the societal sweep of Trollope or Thackeray” (Booklist, starred review).
 When her mother asks her help in finding a lost locket with a compromising picture, neither Charlotte Pitt, nor her mother, has any idea that the locket may be at the center of a bizarre chain of events l
Published June 14th 2011 by Open Road Media Mystery Thriller (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Rutland Place, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
C. No such claim was made. It was Caroline who didn't know Charlotte was familiar with Paul.

Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Genre:Mystery) I am always torn when I read Anne Perry. She writes a great mystery with distinct characters and wonderful attention to detail for the Victorian English culture. But I usually can only read a book or two of hers before I need a break. Her writing usually explores some hidden and dark elements that we usually don't associate with the time period (probably due to the social constraints at the time, not because they didn't exist). I've asked myself while reading her books if murder ...more
Roger Taylor
Having read a number of Pitt mysteries, I can honestly say this was not my favourite. Too much of the time was devoted to women at tea and idle chatter in drawing rooms. Life must have been incredibly dull for well to do ladies in the 19th Century. I much prefer those stories involving Thomas Pitt out in the streets trying to solve some grisly murder!!
As much as I love Anne Perry I really didn't care much for this story. Can't really say why though.

Charlotte's mother, Carolyn, has a missing necklace with a photo she does not wish anyone to see. The photo is of someone other than her husband and she is afraid the person who has it will try to blackmail her with it. Whil shee has done nothing wrong (this is just an infatuation) she knows everyone will think the worst of her.

While Charlotte, her husband, sister and mother look for the necklace a
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are numerous reasons to enjoy books. I applaud the reception of “Rutland Place”, 1983 and scowl at three-star feedback or less; protesting “This isn't a typical mystery”. How nice to see most appreciating that a swerve from the usual is a talent and a treat. Think of the opposite. Wouldn't we groan if Anne Perry only churned out cases, without acquaintance of chief characters, personal scenes, and heart? I constantly say this: the most creative mysterious of all are not crimes! This one ev ...more
Kathy Davie
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, history, homey
Fifth in the Charlotte & Thomas Pitt historical mystery series set in late Victorian London and revolving around Detective Inspector Pitt and his busybody of a wife.

My Take
This particular story provides an in-depth look at how the mere accident of losing a trinket can have a profound effect on everyone in one's circle. Followed with that step up to true scandal whether it's murder or stepping out on one's spouse.

For all the desperation Caroline feels about recovering her locket, I don't see
Fernando Alcala Suarez
For me it's been the weakest in the series so far. But the atmosphere and the characters (both, main and recurring) are so well portrayed that I'll obviously read the following.
Kate Forsyth
Rutland Place begins with a series of petty thefts, and escalates to bloody murder and a troubling denouement. Once again, Charlotte uses her upper-class family connections to dig out secrets that her policeman husband Thomas Pitt simply could not access.

This is not a series to read for pace and suspense. Anne Perry is much more interested in the interior lives of her characters, and in probing the hypocrisy of the Victorians’ attitude to gender, class, and sexuality. The mysteries are always in
Cathy Gingerich
I truly wanted to like this book. I love mysteries. I can't put my finger on why I didn't like it. Was it the he said she said dialogues that got to me or the lack of clear clues,or the slow moving very inactive plot? I began to enjoy the characters about 2/3 of the way through the book. Normally would have given up before then, but for some reason was compelled to know the ending. Weird, I know.
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense-mystery
I liked some aspects of this, mainly the recurring characters of Thomas & Charlotte Pitt, but on the whole I found it insipid and silly, expecting us to care about a murder victim whom no one liked and to give a fig about the indiscretions of genteel neighbors? Spare us the madness of polite Society in Rutland Place and give us the teeming world of Victorian London any day!
Carole (in Canada)
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Drama, Mystery
Shelves: favorites, mystery
Another wonderful book by Anne Perry evoking the sinister side of human nature of which she does so well. This is the 5th book in the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series of Victorian murder/mystery and my first review of her books. Each book is a stand-a-lone mystery. However, I have enjoyed how Charlotte and Thomas' relationship from strangers to husband and wife has evolved through each of the books. I have also enjoyed how Thomas Pitt's career as a policeman, to now Inspector, has come about and ...more
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad to read something out of my norm and try this Victorian mystery. Fun, interesting quick read and good glimpse into the social classes and mores of the day.
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I’m beginning to understand the attraction to Anne Perry. I think she writes for slow readers, so that is the pace I set for this novel. I took care to absorb every word, and I very nearly escaped re-reading of any lines or passages. I was able to follow the story line and even the implied meanings of conversation, although I’m unsure how anyone of this time period ever knew what they were talking about. They most definitely were never certain of another person’s intention, even when pla ...more
Debbie Maskus
Charlotte Pitt is expecting her second child, but that provides no reason to stop her involvement in a crime. Carolina, Charlotte's mother, has lost a locket. The problem rests in the fact that the locket contains a picture of a man that is not her husband. Wonders never cease in thinking a grandmother might still fall in love and act foolishly. The story illustrates the conventions and limitations of English society. Perry does a wonderful job in showing real people with real feelings and human ...more
Charlotte Pitt's mother, Caroline, is hiding a secret and when there's a murder in Rutland Place where she lives, it's up to Charlotte to help not only her mother but also her husband, Thomas, who is called in to investigate. The structure of society and its rules dominate this Victorian mystery and the keen insights into mores and the period detail are fun to read. The unspoken assumptions among the upper classes make for intriguing mystery.
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing on with Perry's series set in Victorian England. At first I was only going to give this three stars, but then I realized that it took me to the end to solve the mystery. That's a good mystery. Besides, I like to read of the life and ways of this period.
My complaint is the same as with the previous books in the series - (1) too much extraneous verbiage in the beginning before the "plot unfolds" and (2) on the other hand, at the end of the book, the crime is solved and the book ends within a couple of paragraphs.
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is worth reading, if only for the image of Charlotte Pitt on the verge of being falling-down drunk on champagne. But, of course, there is a solid mystery here, as well and Perry's dependable characters.
Not her best

This one wasn't quite up to par with the first four and there were several continuity errors (both series and within the book itself)
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series. This series is following along nicely.

Charlotte has been summoned by her mother to help her find a locket that has been stolen. The locket is not valuable but the picture inside could cause Charlotte's mother to suffer a great damage to her reputation. To make matters worse, it doesn't appear to be taken by a servant but more likely by a neighbor. Others who live around Rutland Place have claimed to be missing little objects also. Sudd
Well-the series has grown on me...I enjoyed this entry (#5) and the fact that Charlotte's mom and sister were featured. I hope that continues in the next book!

"London’s most unusual sleuthing team, Inspector Thomas Pitt and his wife, Charlotte, just cannot seem to stay away from trouble. When Charlotte learns of her mother’s distress in losing a locket with a compromising picture, she has no idea that it’s just the beginning of a series of bizarre events that will end in sudden death. For hidden
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Holly H
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical mysteries and it seems I had read all my usual favorite authors and was in the reading dead zone--nothing to read!!--when I stumbled upon this volume by Anne Perry. Not only is she prolific with several series to read, but she is a master of her genre and time period--Victorian England. Riveting story lines, richly-drawn characters and the mystery keeps you going to the very end. I'll be going through each series from start to finish!
Jan C
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2018
The ending bumped this story up to ****. It was a bit of a twist at the end that I, for one, hadn't been expecting. Although not out of the realm of possibilities.

A neighbor of Charlotte's mother is found dead - suicide or murder? Apparently poisoned by a cordial. Then there is a rash of robberies going on in the neighborhood. In the previous year a woman disappeared and Charlotte wonders if it is connected. Charlotte still can't keep out of Thomas' investigations.
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Perry has been hit and miss in the five Pitt entries I've read by her. I find she rushes her endings something terrible. However, Rutland Place is probably the more interesting Charlotte and Thomas Pitt I've read so far because as well as going strong on Victorian social mores around sexuality, gender and veneers of respectability, the murder mystery has a pretty good resolution. The ending is tragic, but well played out and it was nice to check in with Charlotte's parents.
Virginia Walter
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myste
When her locket with possibly compromising contents goes missing, Charlotte Pitt's mother asks her to help recover it -- discreetly, of course. This brings Charlotte back into close contact with the Society world she mostly left behind when she married Inspector Thomas Pitt. The Inspector hardly figures in this entry in the series; it is all Charlotte and the well-born people on Rutland Place.
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rutland Place has a petty thief and Charlotte's mother is a victim. She has lost a locket with a photo of a man other than her husband. Tongues will wag if someone finds it and knows it is hers. She enlists Charlotte to play detective and it's not too big of a mess until one of the well-bred in Rutland Place is found murdered. Again, we find just as many secrets upstairs as downstairs.
Nancy Wilson
Apparently I am a genius--I was about half the way through the book and I thought oh I know who did this and I know why and I looked--pretty much what I thought and I decided the book wasn't really good enough to wade through all the stilted Victorian conversation. Think it is time to take a break from Perry.
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like this series of hers as well as the Monk series and this book just didn't measure up for me. Way too much English manners and I usually enjoy that kind of thing. It picked up towards the end.
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Anne Perry's books because she does such a good job of bringing one into that period.
This was quite a confusing "who dunnit" with far more high society conversation than I enjoy.
I still enjoyed the book.,
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • Days of the Dead (Benjamin January, #7)
  • A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #8)
Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry," the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several categories of genre fiction, including historical murder mysteries and detective fiction. Many of them feature a number of recurrin
More about Anne Perry...

Charlotte & Thomas Pitt (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
  • Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2)
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • Resurrection Row  (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #4)
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
  • Cardington Crescent (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #8)
  • Silence in Hanover Close (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #9)
  • Bethlehem Road (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #10)
  • Highgate Rise (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
  • Before I Go to Sleep
    $8.24 $2.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
“Handsome people are often extremely selfish. To be able to charm others is very dangerous to the character. It comes as a shock, sometimes an unacceptable one, to find there is something you want and you may not have it.” 0 likes