Start by marking “As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1” as Want to Read:
As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1

As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1

(As The World Dies Untold Tales #1)

THE FIRST DAYS: AS THE WORLD DIES introduced Jenni and Katie and their harrowing journey to the makeshift fort in the Texas Hill Country. But theirs is not the only tale to be told. In the first volume of the AS THE WORLD DIES UNTOLD TALES experience three terrifying tales of those who are forced to face the unrelenting and hungry walking dead.

Deep in the Texas Hill Countr
Paperback, 1, 158 pages
Published March 22nd 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about As the World Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As the World Dies

Start your review of As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1
Giselle
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
I will never get enough of this series.

With its extraordinary characters that all left a mark on my heart, and a story that kept it beating hard - As the World Dies by Rhiannon Frater has become one of my favorite series ever (and it's a short list). Thus, I rejoiced at the idea of the Untold Tales, where she takes us into the lives of different characters prior to their appearance in the original series.

In this volume, we get familiar with the stories of Lydia, Monica and Eric. Lydia is a sign
Ian
I guess there are a few things to say about this.

I bought the audiobook which cost something a little north of $15. And I don't think it's worth that much. It contains 3 stories, first of all is Lydia who died one the first day and has only been heard from as a ghost in the main series. Then there is Monica and finally Eric.

Lydia and Monica were really just scraps and hardly worth the effort. The stand out was Eric's story which was pretty good. Just not $15 good.

Untold Tales 1 is available i
James
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love these stories! They brought clarity and answers to lingering questions! Loved them!
Ashley - The Bookish Brunette
YES... Rhiannon Frater put together a collection of three short stories to go along with her As The World Dies trilogy (for all her DIE HARD fans... *ahem* that would definitely include me!)

First short story was Lydia's... *sobs*
Lydia is totally one of my favorite characters in the As The World Dies series... even though she is already dead at the beginning of the first book. I know right? She is such a HUGE part of Katie's memories, that we care about her as deeply as we do Katie or Jenni! When
chucklesthescot
The Untold Tales series is a great companion novella anthology to the As the World Dies series. I'd advise reading book one in that series before reading these stories. I'm going to write just a few comments on each story and how good each one is so I don't ruin the plot! And how gorgeous is the cover of this book? I love the colours and design.

1) The Broken Heart
As Katie rushes off to get to court on time, her wife Lydia is at home, getting worried about the strange behaviour of her blood cover
Jenne
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
So this is 3 short stories from the first days of the zombie outbreak. I wish I'd of read it closer to finishing the series. It took me a minute to remember who was who. Still good and I really liked Eric's POV the best. My favorite zombie books are the early days of the ZA.

Lydia's story:
This one is the selling point of the book since Lydia is such a presence throughout the series. It was just way too short. I kinda felt cheated lol.

Monica's story:
I'd forgotten what a tough cookie Monica is.
Aoife
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It brought back all the memories of what I felt when I was first introduced to Jenni and Katie's world and I wanted to go and read the whole trilogy again.

This book and the other volumes that follow, give us an insight into the tale that very few authors give to the readers that enter their world. A small look into the lives and thoughts of other characters, not central in the plot line but important enough that they made an impact on us. Like Lydia, who was always the tragic b
Hayat
Once again Ms Frater has hit the nail on the head! I loved getting to know what happened to some of the characters from the main story and their friends and loved ones. The untold tails of the desperate survivors (and the unlucky ones) was exciting, scary, sad, disturbing, heart-warming and at times darkly humorous. The only down side is that the short story on what happens on the first day to Katie’s beloved wife (Lydia) was a bit too short. I would've loved for there to have been more on this ...more
The  SciFi Chick Muses
Great follow up stories to the As the World Dies series! I really enjoyed learning the stories of some of my favorite characters. You can never go wrong with a Rhiannon Frater book!
Netanella
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
I love me some Rhiannon Frater!
Carolyn  Storer
Originally posted on Book Chick City. 7/10 on the blog.

I don't often read short stories. Not because I don't think they are good but because I prefer the longer story and character arc that a novel can give. But when I found that one of my all time favourite series had a companion volume of short stories, I had to read it.

I'm not sure if readers coming in as a completely new reader will find this small collection of short stories as riveting as I did. The first two stories are short and I think
Lucille Bransfield
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Listened to an audio of this. The two short stories were very good. I enjoyed the heck out of the last story the most. It was very well done and I was happy it was not a short. I liked meeting the cast of characters and the things they did to try and survive. I will look for more books by Rhiannon.
Mrs LB
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Backstory

I read the series several years back and always knew I would eventually get to these backstories. I just wish I'd have done it sooner as my memory of some of the characters are not so fresh.
Robin Perryman
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Short stories

I enjoyed each of theses short tales. I connected with these characters so easily and it left me wanting more. I'm about to get volume 2 right now. I will be reading more by this author.
Deedra
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good.I did not read the original series,but I liked the characters,even the ghosts, that these stories were about. Kathy Bell Denton was a fine narrator.I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.'
Ann Bickle
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love the series by Rhiannon Frater...and these short stories of the characters I love were fun to read.
Betty
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want more Eric and Stacy!!!
Gar
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading the trilogy, it is refreshing to go back and explore other aspects of the book. Well done.
Shanna Tidwell
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great additional stories are added to this world.
Amazing talent for character & wold building. Thank you for bringing the characters to life.
Raymond Clause
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing fill in for the backstories for the characters of the series. I recommend this if you are a fan.
Keith  G
Lot of stories about different ends to the world.
Amy Fournier
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have a few blogger friends who absolutely swear that I need to read the As The World Dies series. After reading this I am totally going to. This book goes into the stories of some of the characters in the series, who as the title states, stories are untold. I have gotten to know some of the characters through their own stories and I need read more about everything having to do with this series. Rhiannon Frater sure knows how to do the whole zombie thing. It's intense, creepy, and totally addic ...more
Laura Thomas
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those of you who haven’t read the As The World Dies Trilogy or even volume one, The First Days, never fear. These three tales only tell us a small part of what is occurring in The First Days and mainly focuses on a few characters, spotlighting them and giving them their due.

The Broken Heart (Lydia’s Story)

Lydia, Katie’s wife, is already dead in the beginning of the series, but even in death she steals the hearts of fans. This is her story.

It’s a perfect dawn and Lydia is enjoying her morn
Loretta
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Posted here:

I love that Rhiannon Frater wrote these short books that include some characters in the books you really do not get to learn about. Now you do, and I thought Vol. 1 was a great addition to read after reading the 1st book in the As The World Dies series The First Days. You will get to learn more about Lydia, Monica and Eric.
One of the characters that I really loved in The First Days that you don't really get to "know" about is Lydia. So I was e
Camille Picott
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
*The Writer's View - a unique approach to book reviews. For more, visit me at www.camillepicott.com.*

I am totally flipped out over Rhiannon Frater's As the World Dies trilogy. Seriously, it's been a long time since I've been this in love with a series. I go to bed at night dreaming about zombies, which I think worries my husband a little. I think the last time I was this obsessed, it was with the Hunger Games. But I can't even compare this series with The Hunger Games -- they're nothing alike.

I
Toni
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review is also posted on My Book Addiction as part of #zOctober2013

I have been wanting to read the Untold Tales for quite some time now, but I wanted to get through the entire As The World Dies series first. It didn’t work out that way. So far I’ve only read The First Days — my review can be found here – and it was brilliant, of course, just as all of Frater’s work. When this blog tour hit my radar I knew I had to jump on it, even though I hadn’t read the rest of the series. I’m so glad I d
Yolanda Sfetsos
I've read the AS THE WORLD DIES TRILOGY and absolutely loved it. I bought the two short story collections set in the same world--for my Kindle--because I wanted to know more about some of the supporting characters. I also wanted to try out my new Samsung Galaxy Note. :)

This is the first Volume:

The Broken Heart: The title of this story pretty much sums up how sad this tale is. I mean, it's about Lydia--Katie's wife--so right away we know that it's not going to end well. Still, it was nice to see
Michelle
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you have not read any of Rhiannon Frater As The World Dies series than I suggest you stop what your doing and get your ass to a bookstore or on a kindle and get it NOW! This is by far, the best zombie series out there. I don't care if you don't like zombies and think they are gross. The series is so much more than a bunch of mindless undead beings walking around trying to eat your brain out. It's about the human condition and what society will or won't do when forced out of their comfort zone ...more
Lelia Taylor
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews

I’ve never read the As the World Dies trilogy but I always like a good zombie story so I was delighted to have a chance to get an introduction to the trilogy through these collections of short stories and novellas. I’ve just finished the first and I must say I’m impressed.

In the first story, we meet Katie and Lydia and, in just a few brief moments, begin to understand what all the alarming news reports mean. The relationship between the two young women is heartwarming and I quickly grew to like
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)

Story #1
Katie and Lydia are an amazing couple. Even with this very short story, I could see the love they shared for each other. You can't help but want to have a love like theirs. Even though I knew it was coming, I was devastated with what happened to Lydia, but her story was inspiring even with the short amount of time she had left.

Story #2
Monica was pretty badass. Another very short story but it packs one hell of a punch. She is just trying t
« previous 1 3 next »

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Taking on the Dead (Famished #1)
  • Asteroid Aftermath (Post Apocalyptic Survival Book 2)
  • My Final Breath
  • The Wreckers (High Seas Adventures, #1)
  • This is Not a Test (This is Not a Test, #1)
  • Beautiful Disaster
  • Dying Days 4 (Dying Days #4)
  • Widows (Dolly Rawlins, #1)
  • Dirty Deeds 2
  • Dirty Deeds 3
  • Broken World (Broken World, #1)
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Dirty Deeds 4
  • No Place Too Far
  • Haunted Ohio: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Buckeye State
  • Breakfast with the FBI
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

She l

As The World Dies Untold Tales (5 books)
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
  • Deadly Night: Jenni and Katie's Untold Tale (As The World Dies Untold Tales #4)
  • A Very Fort Christmas (As The World Dies Untold Tales #5)

News & Interviews