Start by marking “Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

In Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus, Lois Tverberg challenges readers to follow their Rabbi more closely by re-examining his words in the light of their Jewish context. Doing so will provide a richer, deeper understanding of his ministry, compelling us to live differently, to become more Christ-like. We’ll begin to understand why his first Jewish disciples abandoned ever ...more
Published February 29th 2012 by Zondervan (first published December 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus

Ed
Apr 09, 2013 Ed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, 2015
There is a lot of fascinating information in this book; it made me want to learn more about Jewish culture and the Old Testament. It is too easy to put Jesus into a 21 Century context and lose out what is being said. However, it is difficult to avoid this without a good understanding of the culture in which he lived. This is a book with so much information that it could bear multiple readings. Tverberg does a great job of emphasizing the richness of the Jewish religious texts and I feel guilty o ...more
Harold Cameron
Nov 18, 2012 Harold Cameron rated it it was amazing
"Examining the words of Rabbi Jesus in the light of their Jewish context will provide a richer, deeper understanding of Jesus' ministry, compelling us to live differently, to become more Christ-like." (From the Zondervan Publishing Company Website).

About the Author: Lois Tverberg, PhD, has been writing and teaching about the Jewish background of Christianity for the past fifteen years. With Ann Spangler she coauthored the bestseller, Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus. She is also the author of
May 01, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus by author Lois Tverberg is the sequel to Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus and it is a book that every serious student of the Bible needs to have on their shelf.

There is so much valuable information in this book that opened my eyes to many strange things that Jesus talked about, that it is hard to pin-point just one selection. Tverberg, has done an incredible job of getting into the Jewish mind and interpreting Scripture as Jesus would. Her knowledge of Jewish
Marty Solomon
Jun 22, 2012 Marty Solomon rated it really liked it
With Tverberg's incredible insight and down-to-earth way of communicating complex subjects, she has nailed another great book on the contextual world of Jesus.

One of the things that I just love about Tverberg's writing is that she is able to bring what I call the 'Jewish Hermeneutic' into a our world and explain it in a way that is so easy to understand, even if you're not used to all of the "lingo" that is often assumed within such conversations. I can confidently recommend this book to any stu
Doug
Aug 15, 2012 Doug rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
"Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus" is the best book I've read this year. Author Lois Tverberg does an excellent job of taking her years of study of Judaism and applying it to Jesus. In this book she unveils layers of meaning behind many of Jesus' words. Passages that were once opaque in meaning I can now understand. The brilliance of Jesus is astounding to see...

I've never recommended a book for group study, however I think this book would be an excellent choice for groups choosing to study a
Marge
Jun 12, 2012 Marge rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who reads and studies the Bible. Looking at the words and meanings of Bible passages from the direction of one living at the time of Jesus and one who heard the words in Hebrew, gives a way better understanding of the message. Having Tverberg as a guest at our Bible study was a real gift and left me with new skills to understand my Bible reading.
Rena
Jun 09, 2012 Rena rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It gave so much new insight to me,.
Shirley Brosius
Jun 28, 2015 Shirley Brosius rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
As in her previous book, Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus, author Lois Tverberg believes that understanding the culture of the ancient world is critical to interpreting and applying the Bible to our own lives. For instance, while we may puzzle over phrases such as “the kingdom of God has arrived,” Jewish people would have understood that to proclaim the kingdom was in fact announcing the expected Messiah had arrived.

The title of the book refers to the fact that disciples of a rabbi were encou
David
Feb 05, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Tverberg does a stellar job of unveiling the words of Jesus and some of the classic themes of Scripture. Though I have spent 35 years of my life in study of Scripture for ministry and personal use, she repeatedly surprised me with insights that changed my perceptions of God, and my life in His Kingdom. I have not read the previous volume, "Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus," but plan to do so in the near future.
Lori
Jul 10, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing
What a great book! For years I struggled to understand certain portions of scripture, this book opened the bible up to me by explaining the customs the details of what it was like to live in Israel at the time Jesus did. It took what used to feel hard and condemning and turned it into an understanding and compassionate view of how God sees me. I would encourage anyone to read this book, it is so helpful.
Bekah (WillBakeforBooks)
Jul 17, 2014 Bekah (WillBakeforBooks) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
This was my first experience with Lois Tverberg's works and it was just delightful. Jam packed with helpful information, I would recommend to any looking for a deeper, thought-provoking read. She really has a lot of knowledge to share about Jewish culture and the Old Testament. It was SO interesting. I would really love to read Tverberg's first book as well!
Callie
Sep 20, 2012 Callie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
The 1st section didn't hook me immediately, but the rest of the book left me with lots to think about. Definitely one to read again with a group. Opens up a lot of the teachings of Jesus in a new way as they are discussed in the Jewish context.
Megan
May 04, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Great book for understanding Jesus' words and parables in light of his cultural context. Many times it makes previously confusing parables...less confusing. Also, this was very easy to read. I highly recommend.
David
Jan 31, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Recommended to David by: Cheri Leigh
read for sunday school. one of the best group study books we've had in years -- looks at teachings of jesus in context of Jewish scripture, culture. Would read her earlier book, "Walking in the footsteps of rabbi Jesus"
Pamela
Nov 28, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-recommend
Very, very good. Has made a difference in my understanding of the bible.
Sandra Henderson
Oct 03, 2012 Sandra Henderson rated it it was amazing
The sequel to Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus. An excellent book to help you understand the Jewish roots of Christianity.
Donna
Jun 06, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Eye opening!
Bryan E
Oct 28, 2015 Bryan E rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Brings the words of Jesus alive.
Jason Lyle
Oct 10, 2015 Jason Lyle rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Really helps bridge the gap between Jesus' Jewishness and my Americaness .... A must read!
Kari
Feb 04, 2013 Kari rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. My husband and I started reading this at the same time. SHould've bought two copies. :)
Jolee
Jun 15, 2012 Jolee rated it it was amazing
Very, very good ... informative and enlightening.
Aug 08, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Insightful - I learned so much!
Jerome
May 24, 2012 Jerome rated it it was amazing
My type of approach to Jesus
Robin Warden
May 03, 2013 Robin Warden rated it it was amazing
Sequel to Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus...love these authors and their affection for Israel and the Jewishness of Jesus. Good books!
GarnerGoingsOn Library
Jun 19, 2012 GarnerGoingsOn Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-in-christ
Great companion book to Sitting at the Feet of the Rabbi Jesus.
Pam
Dec 28, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
I love the approach of this book, which is to exam Jesus' teachings in the Jewish context in which He lived. This is a very well-written, thought-provoking book.
Susan
Feb 22, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Just started reading it, and excited. This is my Lenten read this year.
Barb
Aug 04, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing
Love this author and all her insights into the culture that shapes the teachings of Jesus.
Sydney O (Сидней О)
Oct 29, 2016 Sydney O (Сидней О) rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
If you have ever wondered how 'Jewish' Jesus was, this will definitely be a book for you to try. There are many Hebrew words used throughout this book to help convey the specific meanings that English cannot quite grasp.
If you follow the 'Messianic' branch of Christianity, then this book is right up your alley.
The author did a good job of showing Jesus' Jewish side without promoting others to follow Judaism, which tends to be a problem among Messianic writers. (They can't seem to separate that
Evan Kostelka
Jul 08, 2017 Evan Kostelka rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Another great book to introduce people to the Judaism of Jesus' day and how it informs the meaning behind the Biblical texts.

I found the chapter on the 'good eye' and 'bad eye' as well as the 'thinking with both hands' to be especially enlightening. Judaism was more practical and action-oriented than the Western world has made religion. Logic and reason are not bad in themselves, but religion is about transforming yourself and helping others. Thinking about it too much gets in the way of actual
  • Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith
  • New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context
  • Unclean: Meditations on Purity, Hospitality, and Mortality
  • Jesus the Jewish Theologian
  • The Epic of Eden: A Christian Entry Into the Old Testament
  • How to Get a Date Worth Keeping
  • The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All (Great Lives Series)
  • A Christian Survival Guide: A Lifeline to Faith and Growth
  • Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith
  • Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common
  • The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Beliefs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • The Jewish Annotated New Testament
  • The Gospel According to Moses: What My Jewish Friends Taught Me about Jesus
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • Your God Is Too Safe: Rediscovering the Wonder of a God You Can't Control
  • The World of Jesus: Making Sense Of The People And Places Of Jesus' Day
Lois Tverberg has been teaching and writing about the Jewish background of Christianity for the past fifteen years. Lois has always enjoyed discovering the answers to head-scratching questions and sharing the "ah-hah" moments with others. For years she did this as a professor of Biology after receiving her Ph.D. in Physiology. Her career as a professor took a turn, however, when she discovered the ...more
More about Lois Tverberg...

“Making sense of everything is not an obligation or even a possibility. Acceptance of mystery is an act not of resignation but humility. — David Wolpe” 3 likes
“In everyone there is something of his fellow man…. Hence, “love your neighbor” — for he is really you yourself. — Rabbi Moses Cordovero1” 1 likes