Start by marking “Return of the Guardian-King (Legends of the Guardian-King, #4)” as Want to Read:
Return of the Guardian-King (Legends of the Guardian-King, #4)

Return of the Guardian-King

(Legends of the Guardian-King #4)

The powerful finale to the Christy Award-winning novels in the LEGENDS OF THE GUARDIAN-KING series

Believed dead by all but the handful of supporters who rescued him from his Mataian enemies, Abramm Kalladorne has fled his homeland to the high mountains of northern Chesedh. Traveling under a new name with a group of bitter and increasingly desperate fellow exiles, Abramm ho
Published April 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Guardian-King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Guardian-King

Cindy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book and series is one of my all time favorite, and I highly recommend it! The author does an amazing job showing the difference between the faith in Christ and faith in religion. The more knowledgeable you are about God, His Word, and church history, the more things you'll recognize in this series. But even if you're not that knowledgeable of them, you'll wind up learning a lot by the end as things will become clear. The story is exciting, the characters so well developed you'll feel like ...more
Férial
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have a confession to make (fitting isn't it ?). I have read this book backward. Started with the first part (4 in total) and then went straight to the last and came back to the 1st part step by step.

Crazy, one might think. Perhaps.

Surely.

But it was so difficult for me to bear Abramm's, Maddy's, Trap's, Carissa's, Simon's, Ian's... ordeals. I needed first to see how things ended for them all (even for the villains). I needed to be reassured (whether I was or not eventually, I won't tell for th
K.M. Weiland
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a bit of a mixed bag—but the good far outweighs the bad. It’s still a bit rambling, but the plotting is thankfully much tighter than the last installment. The beginning is painfully slow, but as with all of Hancock’s books, it picks up the pace for a truly epic finale. Indeed, that has more or less been my experience with this series: slow bit, brilliance!, slow bit, brilliance! So the not-so-good parts are always worth wading through.

Even more importantly, I have found myself prof
Ranger
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This whole series is really cool. I think I liked it because of the characters and how they had to grow or sink. I really liked the plot line. I really loved these books and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in an extremely good read.
Amy
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
This series started out okay, but I got supremely tired with the over the top message of "Only this religion is the right one!"

It felt preachy and the characters were extremely flat and whiny.
Andrew Miller
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The following contains spoilers for the entire series:

The final installment of a tetralogy, Return of the Guardian King certainly serves as a good conclusion to a good series. But good is likely as far as it goes in that respect. It certainly has moments where it shines above said descriptor, and perhaps some moments where it drops beneath it. That being said, good becomes the best term, as it is the average of the book.
The series is an allegorical Christian fantasy dealing with a character, Ab
Lexie
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book series is now part of my top ten and will be re-read again and again. The journey splendid, the writing lavish, and the characters real. Allegorical to the Bible and to God’s own vessels He used for His glory, Karen Hancock wove the same awe-inspiring faith for which we need to strive. My mind soared, heart leaped, laughed, cried, and all that which a well-told tale does for its reader. This is a hidden treasure to which I highly recommend for those seeking not only a good read, b ...more
Sherrie Tate
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Series

I have read the Legends of the Guardian-King books 1-4 numerous times and have enjoyed it more with each reading. The story and characters were all well thought out. It is a wonderful story of the love our Lord Jesus has for each and every one of us. All we need do is accept His most amazing gift of love, mercy and so much more. The author also shows the reality of Satan, which many people often leave out. I highly recommend this series and plan on reading it for years to come.
Autumn Poole
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The final part of this series, I liked very well. However, I do hate loose ends and I feel like the author left way too many for my liking. Gillard, Simon, Rennalf, etc........
It seemed very drawn out at times and I felt myself rushing to get through it to the conclusion. Interesting enough read for those dedicated to the series, but I had much higher hopes for an epic ending that these characters deserved.
Lynne Modranski
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this whole series. I was a little disappointed when Book Three took a romantic twist because up until then I really thought my young teenage grandson would have enjoyed it; however, it made for a great plot and Karen Hancock used it clear to the end to add adventure. Don't start Book one if you aren't prepared to read all four because each one hooks you for the next!
Loren
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been so great to reread these to kick of this new year. I realized as I read that while Hancock's analogies tend to be a little heavy-handed, I still thoroughly enjoy the story and the characters, and even more than that, the light she sheds on the bigger picture going on in my day-to-day walk with Christ.
Louis
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m waiting for book five please!

This was a great story but I don’t want it to stop! I loved the characters, the spiritual lessons that improved the character of the willing. Especially interesting were the evil people who thought they were good. Just like today’s world.
Diane
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
read 3 times. love the series
Rose
The culmination of the adventures of Abramm. This book contains the ultimate test of his faith, his fight with the devil, and his greatest victories. It was thrilling and sad, exciting, fascinating, and also a little unfinished feeling. For instance, the visit to the dragon city felt kind of unexplained. What happened to the dragons? It was a fairly long book, but I would have liked to know what all happened on every front before it closed.
Still an amazing story. Four stars, for certain.
Hollie
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As I read this book immediately following the third one, this is really just an extension of the review I did for Shadow Over Kiriath. I gave the first three books four stars each, I thought they were excellent, but the heavy religious influence cast just enough of a pall over my experience with them to make me hesitate to give them five starts, which I try to reserve for books I love without reservation. That said, I did really enjoy the series, so while I didn't necessarily enjoy this book mor ...more
K
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Erin McLaughlin
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Andrea
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
My family will be glad I'm done reading these books because I've been a little obsessed, but I will not be. I wish the story continued...
There was much more darkness and evil in this book than I remember in the others. It was creepy at times and I put it down a few times to take a breather. Still an amazing, action-packed book.
Carissa & Trap were really annoying in part of the book. I wanted to shake them both.
For some reason, the talking with God part of this book bothered me a little (not
Rachel Thompson
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Abramm is believed dead by all but the people who rescued him from his execution, but Maddie is reluctant to give into the public consensus. Even her closest advisers are pressuring her to remarry for the good of Chesedh. Meanwhile, Abramm must undertake a series of trials that will shake his faith and delay his homecoming.

This was a satisfying end to the series, made even more so by the events that occur between Trap and Carissa. Honestly, Trap is perhaps my favorite character in these four boo
Kiersten
I loved it! A satisfactory ending to the series, although I want to know exactly what happens with Duke Simon and Gillard - I despise loose ends, although one important thing with Duke Simon did get cleared up right near the end. (*Note - the rest of this paragraph is a spoiler*.) I was so thrilled when Carissa and Meridon finally got their marriage worked out! This was possibly the most agonizing love story I've ever seen, and they needed to fix it! Carissa's blatant flirting with her husband w ...more
Diane
The fourth and final book of the Guardian King series is my favorite. Return of the Guardian-King has action, tension, and suspense. Following the horrendous events that took place at the end of the third book, Abramm is desperately trying to rejoin his wife and children, but like Odysseus, he encounters obstacle after obstacle. And like Job, Abramm must consent to lose everything. He must allow himself to be brought low. This remaking of Abramm is very important. It is Eidon’s doing, and it tak ...more
Kristen Stieffel
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Karen Hancock brings her tremendously satisfying Guardian King series to a worthy conclusion. Return of the Guardian King gets off to a slow start, because Hancock must catch us up on everything that happened between the end of Book 3 and the beginning of Book 4. Once we are up to speed, the story proceeds apace through a dense maze of twists and turns. Some of the twists are predicable (the couple with a misunderstanding ignore the advice of their friends until it is almost--but not entirely--t ...more
Ariel Paiement
This was a stunning finale to Hancock's series, Legends of the Guardian King. The blend of Biblical concepts and fantasy is wonderfully done, and the close of Abramm's story is inspiring. I found the whole series to be very uplifting and would recommend this as a must read to anyone who is at least fourteen. There is a fair amount of violence due to the war going on, and the book did contain adult concepts, although nothing inappropriate, but that is why I recommend that those under fourteen wai ...more
Susanna
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Return of the Guardian-King" echoes the biblical story of Job, as Abramm seeks to regain his lost family and throne and yet finds his efforts continually thwarted. As his wife struggles to cope with the politics and creeping threats, Abramm is called to walk a path that very few men have survived. Through mountains, desert, dragon-cities, and at the foot of his Lord's throne, Abramm is continually reminded that nothing he once had was truly his. And more importantly, that it matters not who he ...more
Christina Weigand
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Ms. Hancock. Her character journeys are well written and draw the reader through the store always turning the page and wanting to know what happens next. The message of perseverance and placing your faith in Eidon comes across so strongly and resonates within the reader long after the book is closed. I wanted more, but not because she didn't finish the story or that it was lacking in something, but because it inspired me and left me wanting a closer relationship with Go ...more
Shara
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hancock takes this world full of dragons and other strange fantastic creatures to paint a picture of the struggle every christian faces. Our battles may not have hair raising outcomes but they are no less dire and life changing. It has been a joy to see life through the eyes of a world where black and white are so sharply contrasted it makes you realize that maybe we don't take our normal lives seriously enough.
David Bergsland
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a great 4-part fantasy. The Christian roots are developed well and they are edifying. The story is fun and often exciting. This is the weakest of the four. We finally reached too much angst in the romances. It became predictable and the workings of Eidon largely left their biblical roots. But it is still an essential part of the series and needs to be read as a massive epilogue, if nothing else.
Melanie Bridge
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Ending

The Fourth a Book in the series was by far my favorite. It was a quicker read with more movement and less internalizing. It was also very faith promoting in a weird way. The only thing I didn't like was the ending. The author winds the book up too fast after all the time she spent getting there.
Nicole
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Note #1 - this should not be read without having read the rest of the series. (I did. I had been given a review book without being told that it was the final installment in a series.) It's really hard to follow if you start with the last book of 4.

Note #2 - this should also not be read if you're not okay with heavy-handed religion in your fiction.
Amy Riccio
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this series, and this last book. I am so sad it has ended. The books bring out such a spiritual reality of the forces of darkness at work all around us, and the different things that control us. I loved the characters and love the depth at which the author allows us to know them. Bravo!
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • Cyndere's Midnight (The Auralia Thread, #2)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • Fusion Fire (Firebird, #2)
  • The Dark Foundations (The Lamb Among the Stars, #3)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • The Battle for Vast Dominion (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #3)
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)

Legends of the Guardian-King (4 books)
  • The Light of Eidon (Legends of the Guardian-King, #1)
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)