Start by marking “Midnight Magic (Midnight Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Magic (Midnight Magic, #2)

Midnight Magic

(Midnight Magic #2)

Mangus the Magician must free a princess from a terrifying ghost. Naturally, Mangus doesn't believe in ghosts. He doesn't even believe in magic! However, his servant boy, Fabrizio, is a secret friend of the princess and is determined to prove the ghost is real.
Published October 1st 2004 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Magic, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Midnight Magic (Midnight Magic, #2)
Simon
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was fantastically entertaining and adventuresome. I really enjoyed the timescale used here. You never really get nice, exciting mystery-type stories from the ancient past. Writing in a time on no technology as simple as the light bulb is an extravagant and hardly touched upon world. So much more is open to what we don't know from personal experience to what we do know in our everyday lives.

The fact that the author had to write this novel from doing research on the time period and from
Malia
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I must have read this book at least five times when I was younger. In hindsight, I don't even know why I liked it so much, but I think it was just the combination of mystery and magic that really sucked me in.The characters are interesting and likeable and I suppose I loved the cover too;)

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Saskia
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, historical, german
Ok, before I say anything else I have to point out that this appears to be the second book in the Midnight Magic series and that I have not read the first one because I found this in a cozy café/book shop for second-hand books. So please excuse me if any of my comments would be void if I had actually read the first book. :)

That left aside, however, I thought the book was ok but not great. Apart from the clumsy and repetitive language which may, after all, be a problem of the German translation,
Lisa the Librarian
Feb 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans, princess fans
A medieval mystery based on magic, or more accurately perceived magic.

Fabrizio is the servant of renowned magician Magnus. Magnus is fully aware that he is not really a magician and believes true magic does not exist. He is a master of slight of hand and has gained reputation in the kingdom. After a trial he has renounced the practice of "magic" basically on pain of death. Fabrizio, on the other hand, is superstitious as are most other members of the kingdom and fully believes is magic.

The king
Carrie Goodall
I really enjoyed this historical mystery by Avi. It's been a while since I read anything by him and I wasn't disappointed. For such a short book, his characters were vivid and well-developed.

I loved the bits of history related to the printing press and attitudes toward modern inventions and progress. One of the characters did not want any modern inventions in Pergomontia (the Italian kingdom in which the story took place) and it reminded me that all technology and progress is met with skepticis
Jane Evans
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this book out loud to my class!!!! Everyone loved it! It was a great mystery! Although, this is the second book in the series.... Oops! Should have read Murder at Midnight first! Guess I'll have to back track!
Holly
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Another book from childhood. This one taught me "niche."
Christina
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Midnight Magic was one of my favorite books as I child. In fact, I remember checking it out of my elementary school library on multiple occasions, and I wanted to revisit it now as an adult. While not as mystical as I remembered it to be, I can definitely see why Midnight Magic wowed me as a child. It was so much fun to discover the story anew, and I loved thinking about how this book helped shape the person I am today.

From tarot cards, ghosts, and magic, to reason and logical thinking, Midnigh
Vickie Brannon
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Entertaining dialogue, plenty of action, twists and turns through secret passage ways, and delightful characters! Loved it! I'll have to get a copy of Murder at Midnight to get more of Mangus and Fabrizio!
Rod Innis
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avi did not disappoint. This is another good story by a great author. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It kept me on the edge of my seat any guessing until the end. I highly recommend it.
Tamara
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is seriously one of my very favorite childhood books. I loved the way it was written. The characters were alluring and the story's pacing was so incredibly engrossing. Iconic read.
Joy
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
7.5 -- fun middle-school medieval mystery.
Erin
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Older children, young adults and adults who like a good murder mystery.
Recommended to Erin by: I found this book at the library.
I choose this book to read with my 11-year-old daughter since we were studying the Renaissance. By the title alone, I wasn't sure I would like it. Magic, wizards, sorcerers... not my thing. The story opens at the home of Mangus the Magician. His sole servant, Fabrizio, waits till midnight then casts tarot cards to shape the future for his master. I about stopped there. Although the book was hard to "get into" (the first 85 pages of a 249 page book), once we got past that point it was very hard t ...more
Francesca Calarco
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. It was one of the first novels that I read for fun and more than once. I also always considered it the book that got me interested in the fantasy genre. Now that I am well past my formative years, and significantly less easy to impress, I thought it would be fun to go back and re-re-read this novel that left such a big impression.

First off, I was surprised to find that my memory totally betrayed me and that this is only debatably a 'fantasy' b
Elizabeth
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to give this book a five because it was my absolute FAVORITE when I was in sixth grade. Not a lot of books from my childhood are super memorable, but this one certainly was. It inspired me to write a rip-off of it when I was twelve called "Midnight Mischief." (And of course in my story, there were also secret passageways behind tapestries.)

But really, what is there NOT to like about this book? You've got a fabulous mystery, memorable characters with great personalities, plot twists, intr
Cooper
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just have to start out by saying, this was a fantastic book. Combined with the fact that Fabrizio knew some of Mangus´s magic tricks, this book was well thought out, and is adventurous and exciting.
The plot was exceptionally good. I especially like the timeline that this book and story take place in. These are just some of my thoughts about this book. This is the second book in this series. I did not know about the first book until after I started to read the second one. I hope you enjoyed
Corgis Are
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
It's an exceptionally foolish choice, but this is my favorite book of all time. The reason I read every book twice. There is no magic in this world, until you give a second look. The cards the assistant pulls from the tarot deck truly do predict his masters future, showing that there is magic. Although it's silly and cliche, this childrens book has shaped who I am, and instilled in me one of my many odd habits. This book isnt special, but its special to me for one simple reason, it reminds me of ...more
Catherine
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Usually I love Avi's books, and the cover of this one is very attractive, but this story felt like he wrote it in a hurry. I was intrigued by the medieval setting but disappointed that nothing was adequately developed: the characters were shallow, the writing felt repetitive, and the mystery was not very involving. Another draft or two and this might have been more compelling. The best part of the story was the clever aphorisms that Fabrizio and Mangus kept throwing at each other.
BeParticular
I had picked this up for my nephew to read and he liked it. So, I decided to give it a try. This is my first time reading anything by Avi and I was not impressed. Character development was light and conventional. The mystery was boring. The sense of place was okay, but not great. I'm way over the intended reader age for this title, but that shouldn't matter so much. The author is acclaimed, so I may try another book one day.
Sue.the.very.busy.reader
“You may be ignorant...but you are kind, and kindness is the most underrated of all human qualities.”
Midnight Magic by Avi, as with most of these Battle of the Books, was a book outside my comfort zone. I would not have picked this book on my own. However, what I liked about the story was the character Magnus. No matter what happened to Mangus or how people treated Mangus, he replied with kindness and respect. To me that is a great lesson to teach kids as they read the book.
Kenya Mendoza
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a really interesting book although it was not what i expected. I thought it was the type of book that i like to read but it was not, so i felt that i did not enjoy it very much but it was okay.the book was about a servant boy who is better than his master, and a magician who does not believe in magic and they team up to confront a mysterious ghost that is harassing the castle.
Amanda Mic Perkins
Good, but more complicated than it needed to be. This book’s plot was made entirely of twists that didn’t make much sense, irritating characters, and figures of speech that make the main characters dialogue sound like it came straight out of an episode of Hannah Montana. But still, the plot was good enough, and the writing was engaging and quick to read. So, you know. Whatever.
Steph
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A well written, interesting read that introduces young readers to genres such as historical fiction, adventure, and mystery. The book, although for young readers kept me guessing at each turn. Worthwhile!
Mateo Monroy
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mangus is sent to a castle with his noble servant Fabrizio to try and save the princess from a ghost thought to be her brother. Will Mangus the magician who doesn't believes in ghost, be able to find a solution to this problem.
Amy
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a quick read. It was easy to get through. The characters weren't overly developed, but there were some surprises for a short easy to read book. It was a good choice for a quick read.
Jasmine
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though this is a younger middle grade novel I still feel that the setting of medieval Italy was enough to grab my attention. Overall it was a good book and something I would defiantly recommend to someone trying to get their kid to read more.
Geneva Woodmansee
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this probably about fifteen years ago and forgot most of the plot. It's another middle grade/YA book that is well done.
Betsy
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as well developed as it could have been. Perhaps a young reader would be satisfied, but somewhat implausible characters.
Christy Sibila
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun medieval mystery for the YA crowd-Battle of the Books, 2019.
Amy
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written, fast-paced mystery adventure on par with Sherlock Holmes! I couldn't put it down!

• The Secret of Platform 13
  • Navajo Long Walk
  • Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914
  • Dragon's Breath
  • Once Upon a Curse
  • A Tale of Light and Shadow (A Tale of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • No Place for Magic (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #4)
  • The Salamander Spell (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #5)
  • Dave At Night
  • The Island of the Day Before
  • The Wish
  • Pickett's Charge: The Last Attack at Gettysburg
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old. ...more

Midnight Magic (2 books)
  • Murder at Midnight (Midnight Magic, #1)