Start by marking “Traditional Astrology for Today: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Traditional Astrology for Today: An Introduction

Traditional Astrology for Today: An Introduction

Traditional Astrology for Today introduces modern astrologers to the vibrant traditional revival currently underway. Ranging from philosophies of life to predictive techniques, a leading expert and prolific translator of older Latin works explains the usefulness and importance of traditional astrology.
Published July 25th 2011 by Cazimi Press

To ask other readers questions about Traditional Astrology for Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traditional Astrology for Today

Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Modern astrologers who are curious about traditional astrology.
Many authors who write about traditional astrological techniques write for readers who have committed themselves to this approach. This is a book for those readers who haven't decided yet but are curious and want to know more. In the first part, Dykes begins with a short history of traditional astrology, followed by an explanation of differing philosophical approaches that lie behind both forms of astrology. In the second part of the book, Dykes explains how traditional astrological technique di ...more
Paris
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: First approximation to traditional astrology.
I've liked it very much, but my first impression is that it's too summarized (only about one hundred pages). Obviously, there are some important gaps like the "Planetary Sect", however the structure of the book is superb. As an elementary introduction for traditional astrology works fine, and it has been a great help for me. Despite it's quite limited is not superficial. I've especially appreciated the chapters about history, philosophical thought, whole-sign houses, lots and profections, and th ...more
Kimberly
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing astrology resource! You’ll want this in your library for sure!
Julie
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very interesting foray into traditional astrology and its modern day implications. Before reading this book for a course, I never knew the distinction between traditional astrology and modern astrology (and all the practices that fall within the spectrum). After that course and this book, I am more inclined to lean toward the traditional practice over the modern practice. This book contains lots of historical information and support, which only aided in my understanding of the foundational his ...more
Ian Wong
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent and highly accessible introduction to the differences between traditional and modern astrology. As someone who barely knows much about the subject I actually managed to follow somewhat (although admittedly I have some knowledge of the Tarot and its astrological correspondences, but not much else in particular) and it has actually given me the confidence that perhaps I can get a grip on a subject that can on occasion be intimidating and almost forbidding in its inscrutability.
Jillian
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: astrology
Required reading for my Kepler 101 astrology class. This is quick, clear, and the chapters are a short. Anyone looking into traditional astrology should check this out for a first look, and especially skip to the frequently asked questions to get an idea of why Hellenistic astrology is making a comeback.
Moog
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Does what it says on the tin. A very accessible and well written traditional astrology primer. Recommended for astrologers who have some astrological knowledge and experience who would like to understand and use traditional concepts and techniques. An excellent book.
Gabe
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Easily the "beginner's book" for grasping what traditional astrological practice.
Diane
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A concise introduction to medieval astrology with a helpful resource list. This is a slim volume with limited content but it would function well as an outline of key points for future study.
Kate