Start by marking “Devil by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Devil by the Sea

Devil by the Sea

"The first time the children saw the Devil, he was sitting next to them in the second row of deck chairs in the bandstand. He was biting his nails." So begins the horrifying story of a madman loose in a small seaside town—his prey the very young and the very old. Seen through the eyes of Hilary, a precocious, highly imaginative, and lonely child, it is a chilling story abo ...more
Published April 1st 1978 by Avon Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Devil by the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil by the Sea

Cheryl
Oct 09, 2016 marked it as xx-dnf-skim-reference  ·  review of another edition
I must have read the wrong blurb when I decided to read this. Yuck. Not just the Devil, but the rest of the characters, too, seemed horrid. I skipped to the end, and it's still very unsettling. I might be able to stomach it if it were as magical as the books of Sonya Hartnett but it's not.
Alexandra
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
We love Nina Bawden when she writes for children, because she understands a child's mind so well. She uses this same level of understanding to chilling effect in this book, where 9 year old Hilary witnesses a little girl being led away to her death. I found this book repulsive and compelling in equal measure - definitely worth reading.
Ali
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I already had got this book on my all Virago all August pile for this month, when I heard the news on Wednesday that Nina Bawden had died at the age of 87.
Like many readers I was first introduced to Nina Bawden as a child, when I read Carrie’s War, which has always remained one of my top three favourite children’s books. A few months ago I read The Grain of Truth – the first of Nina Bawden’s adult novels I had read.
Devil by the Sea – I can imagine not being to everyone’s taste – it is a chilli
Rebecca
Dithering between three and four stars so I may amend my star rating at a later date. This would be an easy read if the subject matter wasn't so dark. Nina Bawden has captured her characters perfectly, they are all flawed and terribly vulnerable. The story belts along with not a dull moment from start to finish but it's real too, having lived through the 90's when it was written I recognise the world, the people, the manners, the places, the details, that the author describes.
It is dated and I
Stephanie
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book when I was about ten and didn't finish it. As an adult, I spent a good amount of time looking for it for a reread. Finally found it and read the whole thing in one sitting. It has a very creepy feel to it. I enjoyed it so much that I'm looking for more books by this author to read.
Andrea
Mustafa Acungil
Apr 16, 2016
Verity Diamond
May 19, 2016
Nina Bawden was a popular British novelist and children's writer. Her mother was a teacher and her father a marine.

When World War II broke out she spent the school holidays at a farm in Shropshire along with her mother and her brothers, but lived in Aberdare, Wales, during term time.
Bawden attended Somerville College, Oxford, where she gained a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

Her nove