Start by marking “Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)

Gunmetal Magic

(Kate Daniels #5.5)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  28,768 ratings  ·  1,830 reviews
Some people have everything figured out—Andrea Nash is not one of those people.

After being kicked out of the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea’s whole existence is in shambles. All she can do is to try to put herself back together, something made easier by working for Cutting Edge, a small investigative firm owned by her best friend Kate Daniels.

When several sh
ebook, 1st Edition, 326 pages
Published July 31st 2012 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Gunmetal Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gunmetal Magic

·  28,768 ratings  ·  1,830 reviews

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

So...we have to go a year without a Kate Daniel's book. I admit, I cried, I fell to my knees and howled to the moon "whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyy" in most most despairing tone...but once they let me out the padded room (major over reaction by the way, just because you howl at the moon, it DOES NOT make you crazy!) and ate some chocolate my rational brain smoothered my crazy brain and I started to think. I like Andrea, she is a kick arse female, I wanted to know what would happen with her and Rapheal a
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
[August 2018]

And the moral of this particular rererereread is : NEVER open an Ilona Andrews book by accident. You won't be able to resist reading it if you do. It's an immutable law of the universe and stuff.

And the other moral of this particular rererereread is : see moral of previous rererereread. Thank thee kindly. Oh, and by the way:

Don't ask.

The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick road to Magic Triumphs

And the moral of this parti
Anne
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Since I decided to hop on the Kate Daniels train a few months ago, I've gobbled up every book in the series.
Now what do I do?
Sit patiently, and wait till some unknown time in 2015 for the next book to come out?
I don't think so!
There are a plethora of novellas to keep me occupied in the meantime.
I will read them ALL!

Gunmetal Magic is listed as Kate Daniels #5.5, so when I requested this one from my library, I was fully expecting to get handed a shorty. You know, something I could read in an h
Em Lost In Books
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-19, 3-star, 2018
Andrea and Raphael's story. Andrea was trying to survive from day to day and Raphael was being an ass by bringing his current flame to meet his ex. oh yeah it didn't go well. Half of the time, Andrea spent crying over her ex and the other half was spent kicking whoever comes in front of her except Roman. Raphael didn't let go any chance of letting us know that he was an alpha and would do everything to get back his mate.

it was enjoyable but I kept missing Kate and Curran. I kept turning pages to
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. Kate Daniels' best friend Andrea, a werehyena/bouda/beastkin, gets her own novel with Gunmetal Magic. She's dealing with a rough breakup with Raphael (another bouda), a problematic investigation that involves several murders, and her own painful past involving physical abuse as a child. There's lots of relationship drama in this book. (view spoiler)

I like Andrea, whose combat and kickass abilities seem to be
Evgeny
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

We might not notice it in everyday life or just forgot it, but the modern word processing tools are very powerful. One of the things you can do with practically any one of them is search and replace of all occurrences of a word. Let us test this feature. Take this book, replace all "Andrea" by "Kate", "Raphael" by "Curran", and "gun" by "Slayer". Lo and behold, we now have completely different book called Magic Bleeds. A couple of people i
Sophia Triad
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Major events happen in this book and they are life changing for Andrea :

1. Her position in the Shifters’ clan in general and in Bouda’s clan in particular is shorted out. She finally belongs somewhere (“We take care of our own”)
2. She successfully deals with Aunt B, Bouda clan’s Alpha who is also apparently her future mother in law.
3. It is about time to stop the games and decide if Raphael is the man (or maybe better the hyena) of her life and mate with him.
4. She accepts her past (her painful
Anzu The Great Destroyer
“You’ll never take me alive”

WTF is Gunmetal Magic about? Good question my friend. Gunmetal Magic takes place in the same world as the Kate Daniels series does: post-magic-induced-apocalyptic Atlanta. Now, I presume you have read the previous books. If not, then you probably should, it helps build up the story.

Andrea has a new case. A few members of the pack got killed so you know the old story. She has to investigate and get to the bottom of it. Add lots of actions, fights, bullets, cool weapo
Angela
February 2018 Reread. I'm more mad at Raphael this re-read. His stunt at the beginning of this book is absolutely ridiculous. But, as Kate says at one point, they both need to figure out what they want and what's worth fighting for, and stop being hurt at some point. Because if they want each other, they have to get over it.
August 2016 re-read: My opinion of Andrea (especially) and Raphael continues to grow with each reading. Before this read I'd always held onto the grudge of Andrea not contact
carol.
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Andrews fans, urban fantasy fans
Don't be ridiculous. Of course I enjoyed this book. It's set in the world of Kate Daniels, my favorite urban fantasy series ever.

Magic has returned to the world, coming and going in 'waves:' when magic is up, technology fails, and vice-versa (except telephones--they're unpredictible at any time). Magic hates concrete and tall buildings, and it's been a struggle for citizens to reclaim their city from pre-Shift buildings--now rubble--and magic-powered areas of wildness. Reclamation companies spe
Dija
2.8/5 stars

I've never liked Andrea and Raphael, not like I do Kate and Curran or Jim and Dali. I was hoping their book would change that, but I think I like them even less now.

I had a lot of trouble connecting to the characters and story. Andrea was cold and hard to relate to. Raphael was okay, didn't really have the most noteworthy of personalities. Basically, I like Raphael and Andrea as a couple, but not so much as individuals.

The action part bored me to tears and I really didn't care for it.
1st read - August 2013 - 4 stars
2nd read - June 2015 - rating Increased to 5 stars
3rd read - July 2016
4th read - February 2018
5th Read - July 2018

Original Review

I have loved Andrea ever since she was introduced to the series so I was quite excited when I found out she was getting her own book. I love her friendship with Kate and the fact that she is another strong female character who is able to stand up for herself and fight when she needs to. I also really enjoyed the novella Magic Mourns star
Cyndi
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Next to Kate, Andrea is my favorite woman in their world. She is so cool! This in-between book is told through her POV.
Andrea and Kate have mended their fences and one of my fav female friendships in literature is back and going strong.
Andrea has decided to accept her beastkin. After Raphael pulls a truly jerky stunt, the changes she has been undergoing step out for the world to see. She has walked out of the animal closet and now she has to join the pack.
Meanwhile, shapeshifters are dying
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Regardless of whether Ilona Andrews writes a Kate Daniels or an Edge book, know that each time you will be getting a quality, action-packed novel. There's just something about their writing style that captures you - hook, line and sinker. The Ilona Andrews name on a book is like a guaranteed seal of fantastic entertainment. A must-read for sure!

GUNMETAL MAGIC is a guaranteed good read. Ilona Andrews skillfully mixes action, suspense, and humor with heady romance in their alternate reality Atlant
MISS VAIN
I had conspired to break the law with my ex-boyfriend, who I professed to hate, broken said law, destroyed the victim's attack dog/magic creature in a fit of murderous frenzy, and then ran away across the city, wandered around some woods, and fell asleep in a tree in my beastkin shape. When I went off the rails, I didn't do it halfway. No, I flipped a few times, caught a lot of air, and then exploded in a fiery crash.

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to review this book early and let me
Maria V. Snyder
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The was recommended to me since I loved Andrews Edge series, my friend thought I might like this one as well. She was right! I'm not a big urban fantasy fan as I get annoyed with the heroines who are extremely stubborn and refuse all help - yes they kick-ass and are independent, but they rub me the wrong way. I love strong female protagonists, but I also like a little romance :) This book had both and I'm now curious about Andrews books about Kate Daniels.

So has anyone read the Kate Daniels book
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Gunmetal Magic in numbers:
Number of pages: 326
Number of hilarious sentences per page: Anywhere between 3 and 17
Number of characters I want to be best friends with: 5
Number of raw emotional moments: too many to count

It would appear that, at this point, the husband-and-wife writing team Ilona Andrews can do no wrong. There’s a reason why many people who don’t normally read urban fantasy adore their Kate Daniels series, and people who do read lots of urban fantasy usually single it out as
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

This book amazed me. That’s different than “this book is amazing” (although it is, that). What I mean is that I didn’t expect to be so wowed by it. The world, the characters, the storyline, all of it was so vividly built that I had no trouble at all picturing the Kate Daniels World.

I can’t get over how seamlessly the writing flows, at how darkly beautiful the world is, and how well-written this book is. I almost can’t even write my review because I
Glass
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I was looking forward to reading more about Andrea, but, unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book.
Geri Reads
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Did I ever mention how much I love Andrea?

Well, now you know.

I love her character. And yes, I love Raphael, too.

But back to Andrea (because this series is pretty much the most heroine-centric series ever which is another reason why I love it so much).

She's dealing with the consequences of the events in book #5. One, the Order knows her secret and she's basically been unceremoniously shown the door. Two, her relationship with Raphael, the male alpha of the douda clan, imploded. Andrea felt unmo
The Flooze
*4.5*

Fanfuckingtastic.

I'll admit I was worried about this one. As Roman tells Andrea, "You were all clenched up before... Very serious. Robot Andrea." And she was. In Kate's books, I'd found her absolute devotion to rules and order difficult to relate to. I admired her skill and determination, but I didn't look forward to a whole book from her POV.

I was incredibly, blissfully surprised then to find myself adoring the new Andrea. She's changed, and it's all for the better. Though she still has th
Armina
Buddy read with Eilonwy , Evgeny , Asya , Monty Cupcake

3.5 STARS

It seems that from all the buddies I read this book with, I enjoyed it the most. It does have some annoying stuff in there but it didn't bother me so much and I still had fun while reading it like going through the last 36%(which is more than one third of the book) in one sitting for the last 2 hours or so. And I'm rounding my rating up because .... (you already know why, it's one name only but I still have to write it down):
Robin (Bridge Four)
The Re-read before Magic Breaks Continues

Another great re-read down and I continue on. Just a few more stories so go. I really loved the hoemance between Kate and Andrea in this. There Dialogue together is such a good time.

“Kate leaned back against her chair. "Where is the bane of my existence?"
"In the shower, freshening up."
"Oh, God, who did Asciano screw now?"
"No, no, he's covered in blood."
"Oh good." She sighed and stopped. "The kid is covered in blood and we're relieved. There is something w
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book. This was a re-read for me and I had a lot of fun re-visiting this book since I know what will happen to these wonderful characters as the series moves forward. I do remember being slightly disappointed when this book was first published simply because I wanted another book featuring Kate and Curran and I got Andrea instead. I ended up loving the book though.

Andrea and Kate are best friends so their lives overlap
Cathryn
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
June 2015 Reread
I LOVE Andrea's book. I love the legitimate relationship drama. Everything feels perfectly mapped out and I can't imagine her (view spoiler) happening any other way.

Original Read - Sept 2014

Magic Slays (#5) ★★★★☆
Magic Gifts (#5.4) ★★★★☆
Gunmetal Magic (#5.5) ★★★★☆
_________________________________

More like 4.5 Stars actually...

I LOVE THIS SERIES
description

A series where I love EVERYBODY's voice and POV??

Kate's POV: Kickassery
Dani's POV: Awkward and so much fun!
Curran's
Nicole
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the fairness of full disclosure, I read this story in a previous draft as well. While I liked it back then, I love and adore it now.

Andrea is incredible in this book. She kicks ass, takes names, and is a total bad ass. I love her, best side-kick. Ever.
Raphael has some total d-bag moments, but I love him. He more than makes up for it with some groveling and hilarious shifter pranks.
Asciano gets some great page time, and I love that little kid!!
A few moments with Kate and Curran, and they ar
Tina ♥ Bookaholic

Meine Gedanken zum Buch:
Ich weiß nicht mehr, warum ich so lange gewartet habe, wieder einmal ein Buch von Ilona Andrews zu lesen. Oh wartet, jetzt fällt es mir wieder ein – genau: Und zwar, weil ich dann nie etwas anderes machen kann/ will, außer zu lesen, weil die Bücher sooo gut und toll und spannend und überhaupt sind. *hach* ♥

Aber beginnen wir mit dem Anfang des Buches, als wir miterleben, wie Andrea – die Hauptprota – in ihrem Schrank aufwacht, mit ei
♥Rachel♥
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
4.5 stars.

Ilona Andrews completely monopolized my attention until I flew through the Kate Daniels series the winter of 2012. When I looked up the dates I couldn’t believe it had been so long because the series still burns pretty bright in my memory. It’s taken me a year to get back to this series, and I might have been a little hesitant to pick this up because Gunmetal Magic stars Andrea and Rafael instead of Kate and Curran. To be honest, I was a little worried I wouldn’t love it as much as the

• Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Hex Appeal
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
“Did those nice church ladies come by again?"
He nodded. "I asked them if a man died and then the woman remarried, and then the three of them met in heaven, would it be a sin for them to have a threesome, since they were all married in God's eye. And they decided they were late to be somewhere else.”
209 likes
“Kate smirked.
"What?"
"Your horse looks pink."
"So?"
"If you paste some stars on her butt you'll be riding My Little Pony."
"Bugger off." I patted the mare's neck. "Don't listen to her, Sugar. You are the cutest horsey ever. The correct name for her color is strawberry roan, by the way."
"Strawberry Shortcake, more like it. Does Strawberry Shortcake know you stole her horse? She will be berry, berry angry with you."
I looked at her from under half-lowered eyelids. "I can shoot you right here, on this road, and nobody will ever find your body.”
195 likes