Start by marking “Under the Bright Wings” as Want to Read:
Under the Bright Wings

Under the Bright Wings

Paperback
Published November 1st 2000 by Regent College Publishing (first published March 18th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Bright Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Bright Wings

Start your review of Under the Bright Wings
Peter Scholtens
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
A fascinating journey through the founding A Rocha, what is now a multinational Christian charity focusing on the care and stewardship of creation.

I love the book, although I'm biased, since my wife and I were charter members of the board of A Rocha Canada, the Canadian incarnation of the organization.

Great discussions about missions in the 21st century, the meaning of work, the sacred/secular divide, among other things.
Emma Relei
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
"There were constant reminders that we could not explain everything we saw purely in terms of its function. Much of the beauty of a Woodlark's song, or the colours of a Bee-eater's plumage, goes well beyond what might be seen as necessary for the bird's biological effectiveness, and speaks of the artistic activity of a creator working to a different set of priorities than what is merely useful or efficient. As we talked with those of our visitors who were Christians about what we were watching, ...more
Naomi Bosch
In his book Under the Bright Wings, Peter Harris describes how out of a deep passion for the environment, and the wish to serve God in a place with little hope for people and ecosystems, the international organisation A Rocha developed. On this journey, he rediscovered some age-old biblical truths. The Bible frequently challenges Christians to take on responsibility for the creation entrusted to us. Out of the initial contradiction between the need to take care of people versus the environment, ...more
Clara
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
I would have read this in a few days if I hadn't started it during a busy week.
I adored the author's voice and honesty. There was no hiding back about the many bumps along the way, but there was a constant reminder of the faithfulness of a God who provides.
The entire story is truly inspiring.
Nicole
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Good to read some of the history of A Rocha. I like Peter Harris' writing style. I quite enjoyed all the stories that were part of the grander adventure.

"Such a response to being out on the cliffs isn't surprising, because the natural world was created, in part at least, to give exactly that kind of prompting; to make us consider if there might be a God and, if so, what he might be like. The world around is studded with clues, even if some of them are hard to comprehend." (5)

"Few things affect p
Tim
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great life story of a pastor who went to Portugal as a "missionary" who would do environmental research and care in a place and time when that was rarely heard of.
He founded A Rocha, a Christian organization with sites in 15 countries (I've heard), including one site in SE Surrey, BC. They work to raise awareness of environmental concerns, and are a bright spot in this regard for Christianity.
Daniel Stewart
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm a bit of a hard marker I'll admit, but I couldn't rate this book higher simply because it isn't exactly brilliantly-written or a masterpiece of any kind but it is CERTAINLY worth reading and interesting for those who struggle to connect conservation with their Christian faith.
Katiewithrow
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
For all of you following my work with A Rocha... this is the story of how the organization began. Told honestly, more a story of beginnings, risk and redefining Christian thought, than about environmentalism...
Shawna
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as I liked Planted, but it was still an interesting look at the origins of A Rocha. It's enlightening to see an example of how someone from another Christian denomination tries to live their faith and what they are willing to do to create a personal ministry.
Genevieve
Elliott Garber
Mar 17, 2011
Becca Garber
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
An inspiring read for Christians with a heart for creation and conservation.
Christina Baehr
Stephen Bau
Jan 06, 2017
1 follower
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.