Start by marking “Jack and the Flumflum Tree” as Want to Read:
Jack and the Flumflum Tree

Jack and the Flumflum Tree

Jack's Granny is sick with a bad case of the moozles! And the only cure is the fruit of the fantastic flumflum tree which grows on the faraway Isle of Blowyernose. It's a perilous journey, but Jack bravely sets sail, with a motley crew of only three.
Published July 1st 2011 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Jack and the Flumflum Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and the Flumflum Tree

Erin Murray
I liked the elements of friendship and family within this book and how the children all wanted to go on an adventure. The rhyme within makes this text a nice read for children as the language isn't too difficult either. Lovely light read.
Edel Mc
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Book review
Jack and the Flumflum Tree By the author Julia Donaldson

Jack decides to go on a voyage to find the fruit that grows on flumflum tree in order to help his granny get rid of her spots. He leaves on his journey with his multicultural crew; they come across many dangers but are saved by the contents of the patchwork sack Jacks granny gave them. This book is told in rhyme. The story keeps you interested and gives lots of room for imagination. There are some many items mention in the short
Meredith
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
Jacks grandmother gets sick and sends Jack and his friends on an adventure to bring her a healing fruit. Armed with a patchwork sack of necessary tools for the journey, Jack and his friends set off for the island of, Blowyernose.

This story is told in verse, and has a predictable rhyming pattern that allows young readers to participate in the reading. Beautiful illustrations accompany this book and young readers will enjoy pouring over the details, especially the pages with the sharks. My first
Rosie Potter
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Really fun book with beautiful illustrations from David Roberts. The book is at its best when read aloud, as you really appreciate the rhyme at the end of each sentence, which in turn helps the story to flow from page to page. It’s a funny book, and children will definitely laugh! It could be used throughout EYFS and KS1, and would make a lovely topic book. You could recreate both the art style and the writing style as it’s a nice introduction to both. Not that long a story so could be enjoyed a ...more
Francesca Lee
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another book that I read which I borrowed from placement. I really enjoyed this book. I think it was great that it had a rhyme to it because it made the story have a rhythm when reading it. Also I thought the illustrations were very bold and colourful. I think this would be a fantastic story to read to EYFS/Year 1 to help them with phonics or at the end of the school day. I also liked the link between the Granny being ill, the island they had to go to being called 'Blowyernose' and on th ...more
Mrs G
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, ks1
Jack's Granny has the moozles so he sets off to find the cure on the Isle of Blowyernose! Luckily Granny has given him a patchwork sack full of useful items to help him on his adventures. Lovely rhyming story with lots to discuss in the pictures (love the endpapers and the Troll hiding in the wrong book...) Would make a good topic in early years - could inspire lots of ideas.
Fiona Hill
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks, ks1, ks2
Great book with rhyming couplets throughout. Children can join in with “Don’t get your knickers in a twist,” said Jack. “Let’s have a look in the patchwork sack.” Also teaches children to not give up when faced with a problem... find a solution.
Niken Nastiti
Love the illustrations
Claudia G-D
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of rhyming. Themes of friendship throughout. EYFS/KS1
MummyCanYouRead
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My children asked for this again and again. We all know it by heart.
Susan Siow
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An adorable picture book that will appeal to the young-at-heart.
Olivia Henderson
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for teaching children about rhyming couplets. Children can join in with the repetition of: ‘’Don’t get your knickers in a twist’’ said Jack. ‘’Let’s have a look in the patchwork sack.’’
David
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my first reading of this one.
Jenna Mills
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
My 2yo wants to read this over as over and I just don't get it. It's odd and just blah!
Grace Thurman
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jack and his friends set off on a journey to find a flumflum fruit to help cure his grandmas’ disease. He carried his grandmother patchwork bag that had tools to help them with their journey.
Isobel Smith
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A book about an exciting adventure.
Katie Antrobus
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This very animated adventure of young Jack unfolds when he sets sail on a voyage to the Isle of Blowyernose to cure his Granny’s ‘Moozles.’ Once his boat is built and he has found his crew, red-cheeked Rose and stubble-checked Stu, the voyage begins and off they sail. They discover that the ocean is a very dangerous place however, prior to departure Granny gave Jack a patchwork sack. Perhaps the contents of the sack will help them to overcome the problems they encounter, sharks attacks, a leak i ...more
Today We Did
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Today We Did

Jack’s Granny has developed the Moozles, and there is only one known cure, the fruit of the Flumflum tree. The Flumflum tree grows on the distant island of Blowyernose, but Jack is determined to reach it and return with the fruit to cure his Granny. He builds a boat, secures a crew, and gets ready to sail. Granny gives him a patchwork sack full of interesting objects that she thinks the adventurers may need, and they set off, but what awaits them along their journey?

Jack and the Flum
Lynley
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebook, british
The title suggests this may be a retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk but it's not really -- it's an original tale based on mythic structure with elements of Little Red Riding Hood (the sick grandma) and pirate adventures (the big seas, the small boat). Like any good fairytale, this story makes use of the rule of threes.

This is also a carnivalesque story, in which the opponents are friendly, easily distracted, and very happy to join the children in their hi-jinks.

The book annoys me for the same r
Library Quine
Wow! This is a great book - it has it all!
Jack's granny is ill with the moosles and the only cure is to eat the fruit from the flumflum tree. Jack and his multicultural crew set sail to the Isle of Blowyernose to bring back a cure for granny. The engaging story is told in rhyme, with just the right amount of naughtiness and repetition with the phrase "Don't get your knickers in a twist said Jack, let's have a look in the patchwork sack". The illustrations are fun too, very colourful with lots of
Pauline
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My classes author this half term was Julia Donaldson. All her books were thoroughly enjoyed. I particularly loved this story. Rhyme, repetition, a fantastic story and beautifully illustrated and of course the "don't get your knickers in a twist" line for the children. I had never heard of this story before and now wonder why it is not as famous as The Gruffalo? My class and I highly recommend it.
Deanna Quirke
When his Grandma is poorly, Jack and his friends sale off the the Isle of Blowyernose in order to track down the mythical Flum Flum fruit that will make her better. It's a lovely vibrant book with beautiful illustrations, and the nonsense words used will both entertain KS1, and help them improve their phonetical knowledge for the Year 1 phonics screening.
Lena
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love David Roberts' illustrations! I recognised his style from the Fairy Detective Agency books so I just had to pick it up. It's a lovely little story about a journey to a Flumflum tree and appropriate for my age (27) I cracked up every time Jack said "Don't get your knickers in a twist.". Oh, also, this one has rhymes if you like that! I think it worked wonderfully.
Roshanne
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents
I think I have read this book to my 3yo on average once a day since he got it. It has lovely rhyme and the pictures are beautifully drawn. It's not too taxing on a 3 year old's attention span. Much better than a lot of kids books out there - holds the parents attention as well as the childs.
Dom Conlon
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love picture books which don't rhyme; they offer a tone and approach all their own. But when you start out on one which does, wow, it's liberating and an adventure in speaking. The Flum Flum tree is Donaldson at her best. It's a flight of fancy which flows without a hitch. Beautiful.
Judy
I love David Roberts' work. I think I prefer his black and white work as he does 'gothic' so well, but still excellent. Particularly loved some of the details like the sharks swimming under the wave pattern. Expert.

Not my favourite Julia Donaldson book.
Jon Bradley
Aug 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's no Tolstoy. Maybe I'm not the target audience. It might take me a while to get used to being a parent.
Dav
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favourite Julia Donaldson book, but lots of fun nonetheless!
Melissa Fisher
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son thoroughly enjoyed reading this. The humour injected into this book is memorable with my son laughing at 'blowyernose' long after the book was finished.
Christina
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit, oliver
Very silly adventures of young jack as he sails to the isle of blowyernose to cure his grandmother's "moozles." gets lots of giggles every time it's read at our house

• Whatever Next!
  • Aliens Love Panta Claus
  • Puffin Peter
  • The Crunching Munching Caterpillar
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho