Start by marking “Jamie's Great Britain” as Want to Read:
Jamie's Great Britain

Jamie's Great Britain

Celebrating Britain’s very best food

Jamie grew up in one of the first true British “gastropubs”, which his Mum and Dad still run today. For him, the heart and soul of real British cooking is food that puts a smile on your face. And that’s what he wants to share in the new book: the essence of British food, done properly.

Over the years, British food culture has emb
Published September 29th 2011 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Start your review of Jamie's Great Britain
Angelc
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readers of my blog know that I am a huge fan of Jamie Oliver, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity to review this cookbook. Many people caught "Britain fever" this summer due to the Olympics in London, and this cookbook is released at a time when the world is really interested in knowing more about the country and it's culture. This book honestly has some of the best looking recipes in any of Jamie's books yet, and that's saying something because I love all of this cookbooks!

The
Joan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pros :

Great recipes.

Cons:
Who thought it was a good idea to have some print in red and yellow/ blue and red? (Breakfast Butty/One pan breakfast) It's virtually unreadable. As are the 'inserts' on the photograph pages which are white on coloured background.

Overall rating?

This would get 4 stars from me normally, but its supposed to be a cookery book and nearly half the pages are photographs. I bet if you took those out (and, nice though they are, they cont
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I was in the mood for a beautifully presented and not too high falutin' cookbook and that's what I got. It is pretty readable as a book and I found some interesting ideas. It seemed tremendously heavy on the flesh foods even for a book celebrating British cooking although the helpful 'v's next to veggie recipes in the index are in sufficient quantity to suggest that was only an impression.

I'm not sure it was really organised in the right way nor British enough to live up to its title
Polly Clarke
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Why haven't I cooked anything from this book??!!!. My picky family won't eat the lovely food (I know they won't eat rabbit)but I would eat absolutely everything cooked from this book because they are pretty gorgeous recipes. I didn't realise British food could be so good! This is a lovely, chunky book with fabulous photos and displays. I promise I will cook something from this book... within the next week, promise! You've got to love a good looking book though.
RH Walters
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A big hug from Jamie, with effusive photographs, long prose-poem recipes, Yemeni pancakes and pickalilly, and despite the length and heft of the book you feel like he's also rushing to tell you about homemade yogurt, mustard and infused liquor. It's probably a nightmare to be his wife, but the book is a mood-lifter.
Patty
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I do love a good cookbook. I read them much like a read a novel. There is much to be learned within the covers of cookbooks - even if I never use a recipe I pick up tips and tricks and taste combinations I might never have thought of. Some of my favorite dinners have come out reading different recipes and combining pieces of them to come up with a whole. I am a collector of cookbooks and my shelves hold one more now.

Jamie Oliver's Great Britain is a beautiful cookbook full of stunnin
Karen Foster
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. Full of heart-felt nostalgia, lovely personal stories that give each recipe context, and even little snippets of food history thrown in. I love Jamie's food writing, his voice rings so true, and his passion for the ingredients comes across so genuinely.
He really seems to care about making recipes accessible, all about hearty flavors, honoring local ingredients, and satisfying real appetites. The happiness oozing from the pages of this book is almost palpable.
As a
LaDawn
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Absolutely stunning cookbook to look at but I’m a bit relieved I bought this second hand for £1 because the recipes are proving infuriating. Once I get past the thousand ingredients list, the instructions are all over the place. I’m a very inexperienced cook but I must have re read the recipe for Veg Vindaloo a thousand times to figure out what went where and when. My 17 year old son normally eats everything and anything but he gave this recipe a 2 out of 5. Meaning he ate it but the leftovers a ...more
Dana
I have to say it, I probably won't cook many items from this one. But I've been a Jamie Oliver fan for a while, so I had to check it out.

I've only cooked one item: the cauliflower cheese soup - it turned out all right but, as with most Jamie recipes, you need to have many skills before making. And honestly, putting the soup in a casserole dish in the oven, after cooking on the stove seemed unnecessary.

The thing this one has going for it though, is it has the crispy duck salad and the ice cream
Emma
The first recipe that I have tried from this book the the fresh tomato soup (pg.46). I havent made this with the croutons, just made the soup on its own for lunch. The combination of tomatos, basil and garlic brings a lovely smell to the kitchen. I used frozen basil rather than fresh basil as this was all i had, but this meant that when i blended it it just crumbled rather than ending up stewed. The idea of blending the ingredients whilst uncooked was a little odd and I found doing the carrots p ...more
Julie
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Visually lovely & written in a very engaging style. I was surprised by the level of involvement for each recipe as I was under the impression that Jamie's recipes were simple, nutritious & for everyone. There is a large block of text accompanying each recipe that needs to be read carefully beforehand & it was hard to find my place when I needed to refer back to it during the creative process. This book is for dedicated cooks who enjoy spending time in the kitchen.
Hannah
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent cookbook, and one that I turn to with regularity. Funnily enough, it’s probably the Jamie Oliver cookbook I cook from most. I have a few firm favourites including the jammy coconut sponge, earl grey tea loaf, empire roast chicken, epic roast chicken salad, apple and watercress salad, Cornish pasties, oxtail stew with spinach dumplings, shredded Brussels sprouts, leek gratin, and rhubarb and rice pudding.
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect. The matte, full color pages were not irritating and glossy. The book was beautifully detailed and photographed. Oliver's commentary is priceless and so appreciated. I don't buy cookbooks that are simply lists of ingredients and step by step instructions anymore. I am more than willing to pay $30+ for books that are well-written and thoughtful with lots of insight and backstory. This was very enjoyable.
Dottie
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The recipes are written in a paragraph/block of text rather than a point form so it's harder to follow during cooking, and there is definitely more involvement with each meal - it's not a 15, 30 or even sometimes a 45 minute recipe by any means! They are meant for special occasions or those days you just want to experiment and try something new-to-you. Jamie definitely goes above and beyond to change my mind about how boring British food USED TO be.
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this cookbook! It's easy to read, colorful, and loaded with pictures. Every recipe has a photo, and the pages are easy to turn. Which might not seem that amazing... but it counts when you want to find a recipe fast! All of the recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients are not so far fetched or too fancy. Fancy cooking has it's place, but I'm all about flavor.
Carla Khoo
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book. Yes, it's incredibly pretty, but more so, the recipes are exciting! There are loads of old favorites that are just begging to be cooked. I borrowed this out from the library, and am glad I did, as most of the recipes are not ones I'd cook, but some of the cakes, breakfasts and soups are lovely. Yummo Jamie, doing it well as always!
Roxy
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Another gem from Jamie. Love the presentation and the paper used. Loaded with awesome recipes that anyone could try - nothing too fussy. Although a lot of his recipes use chilli which i am allergic to i can usually leave it out and still make most of the dishes in the book. Can't wait to try the Jam Tarts.
Ninja Neko
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I had a big feeling of deja-vu while going through the latest Jamie Oliver cookbook. Being British it's logical he's published most of these recipes in one form or another already. This collection was probably made to ride along on 2012's Brit craze. There wasn't anything really exciting (to me) in here. Not really worth seeking out if you have read or own a few of Jamie's cookbooks already.
Cinta
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was so impressed with this book. One normally think that Great Britain's cuisine is not very good, but if you dig in their roots and take the time of discovering what it really has to show, you can get amazed. If you like learning about food from different countries than yours, this is the book for you.
Cheryl Crichton
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For me only Jamie's 'Dinners' beats this book to date. But then I haven't read all his books. Our love of good old British food is taken to the max in this book. If you like Jamie's London Lad no nonsense cooking - you'll love this collection of classics - and some with a twist.
Stephanie Graves
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I think this is the best of his cookbooks, but it's possible that's because, despite my American-ness, British Sunday roasts are the epitome of comfort food to me.

And, as usual, if you can ignore his smugness and the slight sanctimoniousness of his personality, they are good, solid recipes.
Amanda Chan
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
It's difficult to get some ingredients in the recipes here in Singapore. Tried a breakfast recipe this morning.

The book is well organized into breakfast, tea, pub snacks, sauces making it easy to navigate daily cooking requirements at various time of the day.
Kelly
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book! Going to make three recipes from it this week! I'll admit, I was getting a little panicky when I hadn't come across Cornish Pasties. But alas! They are in there and in a very fancy update. I'm so happy to add this to my shelf :-D
Marg
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Going to have to buy this one i think,
Magasvs
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the best Jamie's cookbook!!! I loved it and I bought also one for my friend as well.
Kirsty
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-author
Another cook book I spend a lot of time reading rather than cooking from
Neni  Marlina
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
another way to respect food and life!
David Carrier
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the combination of traditional british fare with more international ingredients. A very tasty way to discover the UK in a new way!
Wyntrnoire
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: browsed
I did not read all the recipes but read everything else. Many recipes I would love to try.
Constance
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really inspired to clean out my fridge to buy the ingredients to try some of these recipes. I had no idea Great Britain had anything worth eating/drinking. Beautiful pictures inside.
Free Books, .99, ...: Win a copy of Jamie Oliver's Great Britain! 1 73 Oct 30, 2012 02:17PM

• Baking Made Easy: 100 Fabulous Easy to Bake Recipies
  • Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast
  • Gordon Ramsay's Family Fare
  • How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • Martha's American Food: A Celebration of Our Nation's Most Treasured Dishes, from Coast to Coast
  • Magnolia Table: A Collection of Recipes for Gathering
  • Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics
  • Delia Smith's Summer Collection: 140 Recipes for Summer
  • Feast: Food to Celebrate Life
  • Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite. Food by Mark Sargeant
  • Nigella Bites: From Family Meals to Elegant Dinners--Easy, Delectable Recipes for Any Occasion

James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, sometimes known as The Naked Chef, is an English chef and media personality well known for his growing list of food-focused television shows, his more recent roles in campaigning against the use of processed foods in national schools, and his campaign to ch