Start by marking “Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help” as Want to Read:
Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help

Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help

If you are new to the occult, this book may provide a new vantage point, perhaps a different way, of looking at life than you are used to! Astrology, Tarot Cards, I Ching, Witchcraft, Words of Power are all explored.
Published December 1st 1981 by Phoenix Publishing (first published April 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Positive Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Positive Magic

Start your review of Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help
Joan DeArtemis
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this a really long time ago, but it made a huge impression on me. There is a section on space aliens that I wasn't too sure about at the time, but since, I found this belief to be rather widespread. The part that REALLY made an impression was the part about the beginning of the Age of Aquarius. Pretty much, what she said about that is turning out to be true. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to learn about Wicca and/or neo-Paganism.
Kelley
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, favorites, pagan
This book isn't just for people who practice witchcraft. It is very interesting, is packed with fascinating theories and world-views, and is a great read. It also has a positive outlook on life. I would recommend this for anyone who enjoys a deep, scholarly book about the origins of witchcraft and how it can be safely and positively practiced today.
Meg
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. I need to reread this. Probably the best wicca/alternative religion book I've ever read. One of the best psychology books I've ever read too! Love this. Hard to find a copy because last I checked this lovely book was out of print.
Melissa
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember how this book was recommended or how I came across it, but I am so glad I did. I should have read it with a highlighter in hand because I dogeared almost every page in the book. This book is not really about magic spells and whatnot, it is about learning to be positive and create positive energy and karma all around you. From the first day of reading this, I gave it a try and things started changing in my life. It taught me that not just my actions affect my karma, but also my ...more
Marcia
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book written by Marion Weinstein It is a positive magic self-help book. Marion teaches "the right mood," and how suddenly everything we do comes out right. She teaches that witches are no different that who were are already, although, she points out that some people are born with a sense of healing, "second sight," abilities to manipulate outcomes of events in their lives, etc. She teaches techniques that others can learn to bring about positive changes in their own lives. I highly ...more
Annette
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annette by: Dustin Walker
If you can look beyond the idea that magic may not exist, this book can give a new perspective on current ideas and idealism. I enjoyed the expansion of thought, but I am not going to be taking on Wiccan ways any time soon.
Marlene
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my pagan friends
Recommended to Marlene by: don't recall
This book has a good deal of practical advice. One of the reasons I like this book so much is that I agree with Marion Weinstein's method of reading tarot cards.
Christine
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Classic- I need to read the revised edition.
Erik
Nov 22, 2019 added it
Life changing; a former girlfriend, who "preferred the company of women" and once ID'd a witch recommended it to me when I realized I was spiritually malnourished at the time. The relationship fell apart, but the book, and its simple delivery of history of, arguments for, and instructions to practice elementary spiritual independence and individuality of witchcraft was totally transformative-- even as a man, I still self-ID as a witch. So grateful for her recommendation and this book.
Geoff
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
This was my first Pagan book, purchased in Salem, MA, almost thirty years ago. I don't still have it, but it opened my mind to ideas and practices that have become an important part of my life.
Emily Wagner
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A classic and must read.
Mitt Soyce
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and informative book! Thank you!
HorriblePumpkin
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book for all beginners in the world of Wicca or Witchcraft. It's the safest introduction you can get that still remains accurate.
Meg
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
My sister's mother, who is a white witch, recommended this book. I have always been interested in the occult and asked her what books I should read to understand the religion. This is the book she recommended.

This book is an interesting introduction to the occult. It explains the power of words, the history behind the religion and the Tarot. The information is written in a style that is not to difficult to understand and gives enough information to help the reader have a good understanding of
Andrea
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!!! I am taking a year long class as research for a book I writing. This was one of the resources that we were asked to read. This was a wonderful book. Easy to read and I could get enough of it. My book now looks like it has been through a college war. I have highlighted sections, notes in the margin, and doggy eared pages.
sage
Sep 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious crack if you want to make fun of the most annoying kind of new age hippie freaks. Really annoying if you're trying to sift out historical lore from specious claims, especially since she doesn't say what bits she got out of any of the footnoted sources. It's like the footnotes are decorative. Primarily useful for its bibliography.
Mafalda Ramos
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: espiritualidade
Very nice book, with a lot of information. But very descriptive, specially the first part, difficult to read. Second part with more practical information much more interesting. The author seems to have a great knowledge in this matter.
Diana Padua
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a mistake. I was trying to put a cover to the one I read already--lol.
Debbie
Mar 30, 2015
Nahman Finnegan
Aug 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • Behind the Scenes: Or, Thirty Years a Slave, and Four Years in the White House
  • Passion (Fallen, #3)
  • Dark is Her Nature (The School of Necessary Magic #1)
  • Rapture (Fallen, #4)
  • The Universe Is Calling You: Connecting with Essence to Live with Positive Energy, Love, and Power
  • Jamaica Inn
  • Kingdom of the Northern Sun: The Revolution Series
  • Fallen in Love (Fallen, #3.5)
  • The Calling: 3 Fundamental Shifts to Stay True, Get Paid, and Do Good
  • A Course in Meditation: A 21-Day Workout for Your Consciousness
  • The Ozimord Project
  • The Gift of the Magi
  • Decoding Boys: New Science Behind the Subtle Art of Raising Sons
  • The Facts of the Matter: Looking Past Today’s Rhetoric on the Environment and Responsible Development
  • A Great Fit: My Take on Confidence, Charisma, and the Career that Suits You Best
  • Stealing Venice (Venice Trilogy #1)