Start by marking “James Herriot's Animal Stories” as Want to Read:
James Herriot's Animal Stories

James Herriot's Animal Stories (James Herriot's Animal Stories)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  1,148 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
When you enter the world of James Herriot's Animal Stories, you’ll share his wonder and humor, his adventures and misadventures as he contends with pet owners and landowners; rough-spoken farmers and soft-spoken gentry; orphaned lambs, litters of piglets and puppies, cattle and draught horses; and a miscellany of cats and dogs including, of course, Mrs. Pumphrey’s inimitab ...more
Published August 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about James Herriot's Animal Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Herriot's Animal Stories

Jean Poulos
I first read this in 1998. Then in 2008 I listened to the audiobook. On impulse I decided to listen to it again as an audiobook. For me the audiobook format works the best so I can completely enjoy the various accents. I find I like to listen to a James Herriot book when I need a break from reading more intense books and when life gets a bit stressful. Harriot’s books seem to allow me to unwind.

James Herriot is a master story teller. He tells about practicing veterinary medicine in the Yorkshire
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was the third book that I read for my read-a-thon last weekend in the Goodreads group You'll love this one...!! A book club & more and it was by far my favourite read of the read-a-thon. Last year around this time I read my first James Herriot book and I've loved his writing ever since.

In this short book James Herriot told some old stories as well as some new ones. I really enjoyed reading the stories I've already read about some of the animals Tricki Woo in particular I think that sto
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all creatures young and old
Recommended to Chris by: my high school english teacher
This review is for all the Harriot books I read. I first read All Creatures Great and Small in high school. I was intimidated at first because well, it starts out with the birth of a calf. I didn't know if I could continue on (He goes into a lot of detail about that birth!) I finished it, and got an A on the quiz for the book. Then, I decided to read more of his series, because they were just so comical and well written. Unfortunately, I couldn't read those for a grade... just entertainment.

Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book on Christmas 2000 but I don't think I ever read it. I had read other James Herriot books but I don't remember any of these stories.

Herriot has a way of writing which makes inserting his hand into the birth canal of an animal to extract her offspring sound pleasant and almost whimsically romantic. He does a wonderful job at painting a screen an landscape where you can truly envision the surroundings whether its a cold, dank cow shed to the elegance and comfort of the home of
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My children and I listened to this book on CD as narrated by Jim Dale. What an enjoyable 90 minutes! I adore Mr. Dale's narrations immensely. His voice brought a sense of homey-neighborly-kindness to all the stories which are already brimming with kindness, gentleness and humor. We loved it. I am now ready to begin reading Mr. Herriot's other books....I wonder if Jim Dale narrates any of those?
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to an audio version of this book and I loved it! The reader, Christopher Timothy, did a great job with the characters and their accents.

James Herriot really was a master storyteller.
"Here are lambs, horses, cows, dogs, even a whimsical pig or two, along with their colorful human counterparts -- all brought vividly to life by [James] Herriot's storytelling magic. From a prickly horse young James encountered early in his veterinary-school experience, through Dorothy the goat -- star of the entrancing holiday tale 'There's Christmas -- and Christmas' -- we are reacquainted with all the charming companions of Herriot's Yorkshire menagerie. Once again illuminated by the radiant ...more
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of James Herriot or vet stories in general
Excerpt from Grade 6 review ahoy:

"The book I read today is a bunch of short stories about animals. The author is in all of the stories. He is a veterinarian.

The book is very well written and the pictures are spectacular. The book is pretty exciting -- not like murder-every-five-seconds exciting, but a life-and-death struggle.

The stories I've read so far mostly deal with all these animals having babies (eww), but in one of them, a bull had sunstroke and some calves got lead poisoning from paint."
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent stories of animals and the people who own them. The one title "There's Christmas --and Christmas" was so timely, and a perfect reminder of how wonderful the day can be even when you have to work. Herriot paints an idealized scene of the towns and countryside that only adds to the beauty of the story. This short volume was even more enhanced by the inclusion of beautiful watercolor paintings with each story, and an introduction written by Herriot's (Wight's) son that tells of his introd ...more
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful little read this was. James Herriot's son compiled 10 of his best-loved stories into this little 145 page book. It's been on my bookshelf for several years. I finally dusted it off and read it in one day. Brought smiles and sadness to my heart, I would wish for animal lovers everywhere to snuggy in and read it. The copy I have is a first edition with beautiful illustrations and lovely smooth pages. Read it, you won't be sorry. (If you are unfamiliar with James Herriot, he author ...more
Jodie Hill
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There is just something that is so magical about James Herriot's writing... I always love how he describes his life as a country vet. I've read all his other books, but when I ran across this one, I picked it up because I thought it might be a good introduction for my kids to his writing and stories. I think it's still a little beyond them with the language/dialect specific writing with the patients' owners, but breezing through this one evening was so uplifting, I didn't mind rereading some of ...more
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
James Herriots book Animal stories is a good book for people of all ages. In each story he talks about some of his stories of being a vet in the English countryside. Some stories make you laugh, like Miss Pumphreys Pekineses Tricky-Woo, a dog with a pen pal, and others make you cry. I personally enjoyed his stories and would recommend them to people who love animals or who would like to become a vet.
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Also a great little quick read. If you've never heard of James Herriot before, he is famous for writing stories about his practice as a traveling veterinarian in rural England. His writing style is simple and warm and is not just about the animals he visits but the interesting farmers and owners of the animals he comes to know and love. Totally clean!
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolutely charming change of pace for me. Got this to read to my Mom and turned out to be very entertaining. Being a vet in Yorkshire provided fodder for a good read. We are going to get another very soon!
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened-to
I just adore the James Herriot books. His writing is so desriptive, he paints just wonderful pictures, without being verbose. Some of these stories I had heard before - but I could listen to these over and over.
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I found this little treasure and bought it immediately. My children were raised on James Herriot stories. His stories are rich and delightful...they touch the best and most gentle side of our humanity. Grab his individual "children's" stories when you can.
Lynn Farina (Lynnie’s Library)
Animal Stories was a cute little book. My therapist lent it to me because she knows how much I love animals.

While it's not something I would have picked up on my own, I still liked it. There were some corny bits, but overall it was a nice, quick read.
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
I loved it , Warm down to earth family values you feel like you have gone back into the 1930s 40s 50s and you have gone to see some very dear friends.n time
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tales of the people and animals of the Yorkshire Dales, and Herriot's experiences as a vet. Especially great for long drives - the stories are great, and the narrator makes them even better.
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
James Herriot is an amazing story teller. I cannot wait to read more of his stories.
Sep 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I listened to these stories when walking to work this summer. What sweet stories.
Tracy Canuck
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love reading James Herriot's vet stories set in the English countryside.
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
You have to read this! even if it's only for the cute animals. :)
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it

These Charming stories are recommended in audio format - Jim Dale narrates wonderfully. 9/10
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Listened to the audiobook. Made me smirk and laugh to myself. Lots of wisdom in this short book.
Janet Popish
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love all of the books in the All Creatures Great and Small series, but the cat stories, dog stories, and animal stories hard covers with the watercolor illustrations are real treasures!

A strange thing happened to me a couple of years ago with the cat stories version. I was shopping in our local Salvation Army and found a copy. I sometimes purchase books to take into our local used book store (where I work) to get trade credit, and I knew I'd sell this one easily as it was still in great condi
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I loved the accents of the person who read the audio version. I loved the atmosphere it created. I love animals, and I considered becoming a vet when I was young. These stories are of a farm vet, and the love he has for his animals is quite clear. I was sad when the book ended. It's quite a short one, only three discs, but very much worth it.
Kelli Cooper
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Started and finished this quick read today. I have read the work of Herriot in the past, and I love to hear his stories of working as a veterinarian in Yorkshire in the 40s. The work he does to save the animals is fascinating, and his interaction with the farmers is endearing and humorous. His books give me the same warm and fuzzies as a Hallmark commercial.
Engel Dreizehn
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Comparable to Beatrix Potter, another English "animal" writer in terms of gentle and old English style of writing only in Herriot's case more of a realistic approach. He has an intimate feel and touch to the depictions of all the animals.
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love James Herriot. His books are so heartwarming and entertaining. I nice break from some of the reading I have been doing lately.
  • Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story
  • Classics of the Macabre
  • A Cat Named Darwin: Embracing the Bond Between Man and Pet
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Little Mouse on the Prairie
  • Close Friends
  • Making Kind Choices: Everyday Ways to Enhance Your Life Through Earth - And Animal-Friendly Living
  • Living Free (Story of Elsa, #2)
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • The Daily Coyote: Story of Love, Survival, and Trust In the Wilds of Wyoming
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

James Herriot's Animal Stories (4 books)
  • James Herriot's Favorite Dog Stories

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99