Start by marking “Noem me bij jouw naam” as Want to Read:
Noem me bij jouw naam

Noem me bij jouw naam

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  11,916 Ratings  ·  1,526 Reviews
Als een 17-jarige Italiaanse jongen verliefd wordt op een zeven jaar oudere Amerikaanse wetenschapper die bij zijn ouders een studiezomer doorbrengt, raakt hij erg in verwarring.
Published June 2010 by Anthos (first published January 23rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Noem me bij jouw naam, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alex I think they were both people who knew how fickle feelings can be. They didn't want what was between them to ever become a sacrifice. Sacrifice was…moreI think they were both people who knew how fickle feelings can be. They didn't want what was between them to ever become a sacrifice. Sacrifice was what Oliver chose when he married, a "parallel life": one that you had to work on, secure, satisfying, not that intense and raw, but not the end of the world if it wouldn't work out, either. The "normal" life.

Imagine how much divided Elio and Oliver: their age, profession, experience, society expectations, the ocean. What they had was sacred, and I think they were terrified that when the real world enters their world, they won't be able to sustain it. It would become dirty and worn out; perhaps it could only hold on in their little enchanted Italian ghost place, and then it'd just go away and leave a void; and perhaps it wouldn't, and it would be impossible to live with such intensity all their lives.

At least that's my interpretation of it. For me the conclusion of the book is that you can hardly win with desire: you can't walk away from it but you can't really live with it, either. (less)
Forestation Just eliminate the peach as intermediary and think of the act that's left. It's basically the same gesture that's often used to convey intimacy during…moreJust eliminate the peach as intermediary and think of the act that's left. It's basically the same gesture that's often used to convey intimacy during sex. (less)

julio
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to julio by: karen
little intimacies.

description

of the many, many aspects of this book that resonated with us, one in particular was the basis of an interesting exchange between me and author santino hassell.

that exchange is excerpted below.

SH: what do you think so far

JAG: i like it. it's very good at being what i think of as authentic teen gay boy POV

SH: it reminds me of something

JAG: it reminds me of a lot of things

SH: the parts where he's talking about how hot and cold the love interest dude gets

JAG: yes, with his facial
Katie
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to make fun of this maddening book, but really, I must just want to make fun of myself for loving it. The bare bones of the story could have been assembled using some kind of Gay Coming of Age Novel Trope Generator. Teenager. Grad student. Italian beach. Fruit. Poetry. Jealousy. Sex. Loss. More poetry.

But. I agree with whoever likens Aciman's approach to Proust's (which is probably everybody who has read both Aciman and Proust.) This is not a Gay Coming of Age Novel, at all; it's an el
Nick Pageant
I've put off writing this review for far too long because I'm afraid I won't do the book justice. I want to write a review that makes everyone drop what they're doing and start reading Call Me by Your Name immediately.
Reading the other reviews, I find a lot of polarization about Aciman's writing style, which I loved. Some people find him pretentious, while others find his prose bordering on poetic. I definitely fall in the latter category.
Most books are read for a good story and I understand tha
Santino Hassell
This is a beautifully written story of passion, obsession, and possibly love.

It's told primarily in the voice of a highly intelligent 17 year old boy living in the Italian Riviera with his family. They are wealthy, have a beautiful villa, and allow tourists to visit, and writers to stay there for the summer. The book is about the obsession the narrator, Elio, has for a young professor named Oliver (one of the writers staying for the summer). The atmosphere is perfectly described. I could picture
Nancy
I found this novel painfully slow going at times. There was too much introspection, too little dialogue. The young grad student and the 17-year-old narrator annoyed me with their wishy-washy feelings and emotions. I craved more intensity and passion. Despite its flaws, I was gradually swept away by the lovely writing, the setting, and growing intimacy between the two main characters. Knowing early on these two young men were not destined to remain together did not prevent me from being deeply mo ...more
lottie
[Sufjan Stevens playing softly in the distance]
MishyJo
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MishyJo by: Nick Pageant
Shelves: nick-books
Second reading 1-1-15. Just as beautiful the second time. Crying on a crowded plane is normal, right?
*******
Original review:

This is not one of those books where I cried all the way through. I didn’t cry at all in fact. Until I realized it was over. And the fact that it ended where it did, how it did, destroyed me. And now, a few days later as I read other people’s updates of this book and the quotes they are including, I realize the significance of those moments I may have missed before and I ge
Kirstine
"He was my secret conduit to myself - like a catalyst that allows us to become who we are, the foreign body, the pacer, the graft, the patch that sends all the right impulses, the steel pin that keeps the soldier's bone together, the other man's heart that makes us more us than we were before the transplant."

I saw someone call this book 'maddening', I think I'd like to second that. I never expected it to get under my skin like it's done. And I certainly never expected to read scenes that ought t
Mariel
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: swing your little axe or be an oak tree if you can
Recommended to Mariel by: this cat's asking if I've seen a little bit of his lost passion but yeah only when I pedal past him
I hadn't a hope left. And maybe I stared back because there wasn't a thing to lose now. I stared back with the all-knowing, I-dare-you-to-kiss-me gaze of someone who both challenges and flees with one and the same gesture.

I can't find again the Jean Rhys line in one of her short stories that the hopeless are more sincere. It stuck out to me and I read a few of the stories again (well worth the time, anyway) trying to find it. Oh, well. I agree with this if it means that if it comes from a place
Michael
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Page after claustrophobic page, reading Call Me By Your Name felt a bit like trying to fall asleep with the covers pulled completely over my head -- creating a warmer, humid, slightly uncomfortable place -- because the bedroom's a bit chilly and immersed within bed covers is, despite a distinct lack of space around the body, the head, the mouth, the best place to be.

I could never fully separate from the narrator, this 17 year old kid Elio consumed by his first serious feelings for another human
Libby
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thesis-book-list
I've been roaming around for weeks now, proselytizing to any and all who will listen, on behalf of this novel. Call My by Your Name completely gutted me. I haven't read a novel that so powerfully affected me in a very long time.

There are many fine, nuanced, wonderful reviews of the book up here already, so I'll just touch on one aspect of the novel that I found particularly surprising in its acuity of vision and the precision of its rendering, beyond its portrait of desire: Elio's habit of proje
Charles
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm in two minds about this book. I found it a lot of it self-indulgent, sub-Brodkeyean word playing, without any of the emotional charge and depth that Brodkey provides. I had no sense of Oliver's charm or the narrator's desirability, and I found their sexual flip-flopping deeply unconvincing. I also find it hard to believe that any bookseller with an ounce of sense would organise a poetry reading in Rome in August. Having said all that, I did read it to the end and was left with a sense of the ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

"Call me by your name, and I'll call you by mine."

Commercial Photography

If you want to read a real review (you know, one that actually has some quality to it), I recommend clicking over to Nick or Julio's instead of this one.

Still here? Don't say I didn't warn you.

Call Me By Your Name is the story of an all-encompassing love affair between a teenaged boy and an older guest who is spending the summer at his family's home. For Elio, this is a time of expl
Melanie
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-i-own
For almost the entire first half of this book I was certain this was going to be a 2 star rating (which is an "ok" book on my rating scale). Then...the second half inched up to a 3 star rating (which means "I liked it" on my rating scale). By the end, 4 stars!
This is a "slow burn" type of book. I loved the descriptions of Italy. You never know exactly where the majority of the story is taking place, it is referred to only as "B", but wherever it is, it is beautiful!
In the beginning, the love s
Blair
Some stories are an experience. This is one of them. Recently adapted as a film by Luca Guadagnino, Call Me by Your Name is urgent and anxious and sexy, a tense, often agonising, evocation of desire. Elio is seventeen when he meets Oliver, the summer guest and writer-in-residence at his parents' Italian villa. Uncertain of his sexuality, and in complete torment about it, Elio becomes obsessed with Oliver, pursuing him and fleeing from him simultaneously. At first, Oliver is aloof, reacting to El ...more
Mike Puma
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aciman takes a privileged young man (Elio, age 17) who resides in a household of intellectual abundance, and lets him narrate his own story of coming of age and coming to love. At once peevish and peculiar, vulgar and verbose, precocious and pretentious, Elio’s story—every thought and emotion, every slight and every erection—is laid bare for the reader. Aciman walks a fine line revealing a young narrator who is carnal, caring, and confused and brings him to an adulthood as complex as his youth, ...more
Irina
“We had found the stars, you and I. And this is given once only.”

I've been a good girl. Not only did I find the courage to finally read this book, but I got myself nice and numb promising not to cry, and I managed to stick to the plan. No tears were spilled.

But the pain, the all consuming crashing heaviness around my heart doesn't stop choking me up! This book has nearly broken me.

I kept holding my own hand reading this, the hand of a much younger me, a teenager, full of love, hope and romanti
April
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, loved
I cried pretty much all the way through the ending pages and on the very last page, I conveniently burst into sobs. This book is amazingly beautiful and has got under my skin like no other book has ever quite managed to do. It's so darn powerful I can't even comprehend the idea of writing a review to fully compact all of my thoughts and feelings because I can't even articulate them myself. There is this sense of lust and absence at the heart of this novel and so beautifully is it described throu ...more
Anyta Sunday
This book was the first gay story I read as an adult. It absolutely blew me away, it's beautiful and haunting and I just love it. The prose is perfect--literary, but not too purple (in my opinion)--I was just swept away with it. It's incredibly sensual and evocative. At the end of reading it, I couldn't stop thinking about it. For weeks (years) I still have moments where I'm remembering a part of this story.

It's not a romance by romance standards (if you are looking for guy meets guy and a simpl
Christopher Alonso
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbtq
This broke me.

Edit 08/25/2015

I keep thinking about this book, and recommending it to readers, and I even brought it to grad school so I could reread passages from it, so because I still thinking about the writing, it's going on my favorites.
Maya
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Original review posted 18 June 2014

I did not want this book to end. As I was turning the pages I was deliberately slowing down my reading pace not only to avoid the inevitable ‘Fin’ but also to re-read paragraphs, hell, full pages just because of the pleasure their words gave me.

This is not a book to read to escape but to experience.

I am afraid that whatever review I attempt to write, it will be too emotional, or worse, will sound like a love letter to the author written by a teenager so I woul
Jean-Paul Werner Walshaw-Sauter

description

(Lac des Quatre-Cantons, 1936 Herbert List)

André Acman's novel recounts the nascent love between a 17 year old boy called Elio and a lodger who is spending the Summer in Elio's family home on the Italian Riviera. The strained courtship between Elio and the 24 year old scholar, Oliver, which blows hot and cold over the first few weeks of the Summer is finally consummated in a secret romance which leaves an indelible mark on both men for the rest of their lives.

Looking at its plot the book seems b
Gaby
What to say?... I finished this book last night (or this morning) at 3:00 am. I thought of turning on my computer and writing a review but 1. It was late as fuck and I had to get up at 6:00; 2. I was still crying; 3. I didn't know what to say, and that hasn't changed much, I've got to tell you.

This book is a sort of coming of age story, it is but it isn't.. if that makes any sense. One summer in the mid eighties Oliver goes to Italy to spend a summer there, there's this family who owns this hous
Christin
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished reading it and promptly burst into tears.

Maybe not so prompt because I could feel it in the back of my throat for the last fifty pages which I read like Oliver and Elio's trip to Rome: voracious and hoping it would never end.

ETA: Been thinking about this book a lot all week and while my original assumption was that I cried because of the missed opportunity and the heartbreak, I decided the last line (which is such a killer, I can't even read just that without tearing up) is about some
Daniel
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Nick Pageant
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
EDIT: 14/04/17

Keep your eyes open.

The movie adaptation for this one is scheduled to be released on November 24, 2017.

Here's a quick look at the casting for Oliver (left side) and Elio (right side).

Can't wait!

5 APRICOTS STARS

[This review may contain spoilers.]

description

He came. He left. Nothing else had changed. I had not changed. The world hadn't changed. Yet nothing would be the same. All that remains is dream-making and strange remembrance.

What Call Me by Your name left me with the exact moment in whi
Jessi ♡
he nutted on the peach
Michael
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I'm somewhat at a loss for words. This was such an imitate look at love and heartbreak, at youth and life. I was completely caught up in the magic of certain parts of this novel, and aside from one small plot line I had a problem with, it was a beautiful, sorrowful tale. Im all but sure the upcoming movie will crush me.
Caravaggion
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbt
LISTEN I WAS JOKING ABOUT REVIEWING THIS WITH JUST A "IT WAS PEACHY" BUT I HONESTLY CAN NOT WITH THIS BOOK

my heart is bleeding i am offended it was too much
it was so beautifully bittersweet and heartbreaking i am speechless why is it like this how DARE

one day i might write an actual more eloquent review of this but until then
let me cry my gay tears in peace
Mandy
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mandy by: Nick Pageant
Shelves: m-m, gay-lit
If Not Later, When?

This book tells a story of two men who have found total intimacy that marks their life, regardless of the paths they have taken afterwards.

" You are the only person I’d like to say goodbye to when I die, because only then will this thing I call my life make any sense. And if I should hear that you died, my life as I know it, the me who is speaking with you now, will cease to exist."
Liz Janet
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We had the stars, you and I. And this is given once only.”
This is not a real review. This is a collection of gifs depicting my reading experience, and the aftermath. Basically is a bunch of images of crying people and beautiful quotes. This is a good book. Read it.

First of all, HOW DARE THIS BOOK DO THIS TO ME?!
description

WHY IS THIS SO SAD AND GOOD AND BRILLIANT?!
description

“Did I want him to act? Or would I prefer a lifetime of longing provided we both kept this little Ping-Pong game going: not knowing, not-n
Question about the ending (spoiler inside) 4 40 Aug 15, 2017 05:47PM
*spoilers* question about ending 1 22 Jun 26, 2017 10:00AM
A Thousand Lives ...: May's Book of the Month! 1 12 May 07, 2017 08:04PM
Call me By Your Name 5 93 Oct 20, 2016 08:35AM
Beautiful 1 11 Jul 03, 2016 05:45AM
The Filipino Group: This topic has been closed to new comments. [F2F Book Discussions] F2F52: April 2016 | Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman | Genre: Sexy Summer 22 84 Apr 24, 2016 07:28PM
Let's discuss this book 75 507 May 30, 2015 09:46AM
  • The Collected Poems
  • Comfort and Joy
  • Quicksand and Passing
  • Dear Diary
  • The Front Runner (Harlan's Story, #1)
  • The Brothers Bishop
  • The Charioteer
  • The Carnivorous Lamb
  • The City and the Pillar
  • My Misspent Youth: Essays
  • Actual Air
  • Dancer from the Dance
André Aciman was born in Alexandria, Egypt and is an American memoirist, essayist, novelist, and scholar of seventeenth-century literature. He has also written many essays and reviews on Marcel Proust. His work has appeared in The New Yorker, The New York Review of Books, The New York Times, The Paris Review, The New Republic, Condé Nast Traveler as well as in many volumes of The Best American Ess ...more
More about André Aciman...

“I stopped for a second. If you remember everything, I wanted to say, and if you are really like me, then before you leave tomorrow, or when you’re just ready to shut the door of the taxi and have already said goodbye to everyone else and there’s not a thing left to say in this life, then, just this once, turn to me, even in jest, or as an afterthought, which would have meant everything to me when we were together, and, as you did back then, look me in the face, hold my gaze, and call me by your name” 140 likes
“And on that evening when we grow older still we'll speak about these two young men as though they were two strangers we met on the train and whom we admire and want to help along. And we'll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.” 80 likes