Start by marking “Mirandy and Brother Wind” as Want to Read:
Mirandy and Brother Wind

Mirandy and Brother Wind

“Each page sparkles with life.”—The New York Times Book Review

In this Caldecott Honor and Coretta Scott King Award winning tale, Mirandy is determined to capture the best partner for the junior cakewalk jubilee. And who is the best partner? The wind, of course!

Grandmama Beasley says, “Can’t nobody put shackles on Brother Wind, chile. He be special. He be free.” With
Published January 13th 1997 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Mirandy and Brother Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirandy and Brother Wind

Luann
Even though I'm not a big fan of the wind (I live in a very windy place), I like how Jerry Pinkney has illustrated the wind here! The wind is treated as very nearly a real person in the text, and I like that he is illustrated as very nearly a real person as well. This is a fun one! I knew how it was going to end, but I still enjoyed reading it. I also really liked the author's note at the beginning so that we know Patricia McKissack's grandparents were cakewalk winners, and we are given a little ...more
Jenny
Mirandy wants to capture brother wind so he will be her dance partner for the cake walk. She tries several tricks to catch him...it's not so easy. But finally she has caught the wind. Then when another girl says unkind things about her friend Ezel, she makes a wish on the wind and asks Ezel to dance. She is a true friend. Cute story and I liked learning a bit about the history of the cake walk. I like the illustrations but the portrayal of the wind as almost human is a bit odd to me. (Don't misu ...more
Kaitlin Ronan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Johnnie Anderson
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is great, I love it. It has a nice story to it. It teaches the reader a lesson within the text. The ending also is nice because it gives you the chance to infer because it does not tell you what actually happens. I recommend this book to any age.
Cassandra Lemieux
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summaries
Summary: A young girl named Mirandy, wants to catch the wind in order for her to win the cake walk. She goes around the whole town looking for a way to capture the wind. Her grandmother told her if she catches the wind, the wind will owe her a favor. All Mirandy wants is for her and Brother wind to win. She spends the whole day trying to catch him, ignoring her friend Ezel who wants to be her dance partner. Mirandy catches the wind, but what she does with it is not what you expect.

Grade Level: 3
Darcy Tedford
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is about a little African American girl who wants to win the town cakewalk by dancing with the wind. She spends all day trying to catch the wind to make him her partner. In the meanwhile her goofy friend Ezel can’t find anyone to dance with him because he is so clumsy, and he teases her about trying to catch Brother Wind, but she is determined. She finally outwits him by trapping him in the barn, after many failed attempts, so now he must grant her a wish. When other girls are joking ...more
Mariah Mathews
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mirandy and Brother Wind is a story about an African American girl that wanted to win a cake walk. She spends all day trying to catch the wind to make him her partner so she could have a better chance of winning. Ezel, her goofy friend can’t find anyone to dance with him because he is so clums. He teases her about trying to catch Brother Wind, but she is determined. She finally outwits him by trapping him in the barn, after many failed attempts, so now he must grant her a wish. When other girls ...more
Amy
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My niece and I read Mirandy and Brother Wind a couple of years ago, I guess. I enjoyed the book, thought it was fun and unique, but if I remember correctly, my niece found it to be a little confusing. As I've mentioned before, she's a very literal child, and the idea of dancing wind was just not something she could wrap her mind around.

The illustrations were lovely.
Cassandra Gelvin
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not sure whether I'd rather catch the wind or inherit it.

This review was originally published at http://www.drttmk.com/books/mirandy-a....

The main character is a girl named Mirandy. It seems to take place in the American South based on the dialects in the book. The whole community is African-American.

Mirandy is planning on going to the junior cakewalk the next evening, and sees the wind blowing by and personified as "Brother Wind." Mirandy expresses a wish to her mother that Brother Wind would b
Tess Upchurch
Lynn  Davidson
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mirandy was determined to win the cakewalk that night, so she set out to capture Brother Wind to be her dance partner. (The cakewalk was introduced by slaves and is rooted in Afro-American culture.) Mirandy's clumsy friend Ezel, trying to make her jealous, teased her that he would ask another girl to the dance with him, but she still tried to catch Brother Wind.
Lovely ending and wonderful illustrations.
Liz
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book has great themes like determination, imagination, and standing up for other people. All very subtle and part of the story rather than a heavy handed attempt to teach a lesson. I'd say the age range for read aloud is 4-8, but it is a bit long for the young attention span.
I loved the introduction with a personal note about the history of the cake walk.
A solid 3.5, just not quite a 4 for me.
Maria Rowe
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
• 1989 Caldecott Honor Book •

Beautiful illustrations, and great story with themes such as friendship, determination and loyalty. I'm not entirely a fan of the text, but the illustrations are just amazing.

Materials used: ink and watercolor
Typeface used: unlisted
Marly Uncapher
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book to teach children about friendship and what it means to be selfless. Mirandy learns the lesson that sometimes doing what we want and doing what is right are two different things.
Cara Byrne
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The art in this book is so wonderful, though the story lost me and my preschooler at times. There are great moments in the story and the book is worth looking at just for the illustrations.
Dan
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice illustrations and I like the dance.
Seema Rao
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Tale of a young girl who makes friends with the wind told in realistic, but magical watercolor illustrations.
Meleah Brown
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an inspirational story that I enjoyed reading. Mirandy is such a fun character and I enjoyed learning about the cultural background presented during this book.
Stefanie Burns
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott-honor
I liked that this story began with an author's note providing a background story to the book. Too many times the author's note is at the end which ads information that would have been helpful during the story. The concept of catching wind was an odd one and I can foresee kids having a diffiult time understanding how you can see and catch wind. In the beginning of the story I felt the wind looked like a leprechaun. Nothing particularly outstanding about this book. It's an ok story.
Copeland
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wide-reading
Pickney’s vibrant illustrations perfectly compliment the story of Mirandy and her quest to catch Brother Wind. Mirandy serves as a plucky, and resourceful heroine, making use of her resources by asking the advice of those around her, but ultimately using her own cleverness to solve her problem. I love the authors note including the story of the authors grandparents winning a cake walk with their great dancing. I also love that this book has suggestion on how to have your own cakewalk including a ...more
Gabrielle
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It brings in language that is challenging to read. In a classroom setting, i would say that a read aloud would be the best thing to do. Children may not be able to understand the dialogue. The illustrations are beautiful!
Jazmine Shoup
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Mirand and Brother Wind by Patricia C. McKissack and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney, is a beautifully written and illustrated chlidren’s story book. The book would make an amazing read-aloud choice for the many voices and characters that are present throughout, and the amazing illustrations that further complement the text. The story follows a young girl, Mirandy, who has one desire, to win the town cakewalk. Her mother tells her “There’s an old saying that whoever catch the Wind can make him do t ...more
Jazmin
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: african-american
Mirandy and Brother Wind by Patricia McKissack and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney is a wonderful book that depicts the African American culture at the early 20th century. This is a great book for the upper elementary grades like fourth or fifth not because of text complexity but because they must have some prior knowledge on what occurred in this era.
Mirandy is the protagonist in the story, and she is the grandmother of the author. Her adventures began when she wanted to enter a junior cakewalk
Mellanie C
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Patricia McKissack writes the best children's books. I loved this book, but donated it to a school in Georgia where I used to work.
Alecia
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-catalog
Author:Patricia C. McKissack

Illustrator: Jerry Pinkney

Genre: fiction picture book

Publication Info:Random House Children's Books (1997)

Reading Level: Ages 4-8; early transitional

Topic/Theme: imagination, culture,

Issues Addressed: children setting their minds to achieve a goal

Social Issues:cultural gatherings; Mirandy is attending a sort of "coming of age" cake walk. She must dance in the cake walk

Classroom Uses: independent reading, read aloud, paired reading

Summary: Mirandy is trying to win t
Amy
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Summary: Mirandy is looking for a dance partner for a cakewalk. She hopes to capture the Wind and make him her partner. She does not even consider her clumsy pal, Ezel. With the help of a neighbor women and her "conjure" and present, Mirandy not only catches the Wind, but "blows the competition away" after an unlikely turn of events. The story is also based on a true story of her grandparents in the early twentieth century.

Audience: grades 1-3

Uses: Personification, theme, and inference are stro
Karen Gedeon
Chris
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I will not be able to use this award winning book in my primary grade classroom. An overview of the story sounds innocent; a young girl wants to win a dance contest, decides to catch the wind to be her partner, but then feels sorry for a clumsy boy who wants to dance with her, and she convinces the wind to help both of them win. A closer reading reveals cultural stereotypes that could be damaging to my young readers. The story is set in the rural South about 1900, and the author writes dialog fo ...more
Matlin
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Watercolor was the perfect medium for this adorable story about a young girl trying to catch the wind. Mirandy will be participating in her first cakewalk and had heard word that if you can catch Brother Wind, he will grant you a wish. We follow along with Mirandy’s adventures in trying to capture the elusive force, all the while being drawn in by the beautifully painted pictures. Bursting with color throughout the whole book, the watercolor worked perfectly in giving Brother Wind his blue-hued, ...more
Dolly
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining tale about a young girl who wants Brother Wind to be her dance partner at the cakewalk. The narrative is entertaining and begs to be read with a southern accent. And Jerry Pinkney's illustrations are terrific.

Our girls have participated in several different cakewalks, mostly at school festivals. Their experiences with cakewalks were very different than what is described in this book, and it was very interesting to learn more about the historical background of this event.
  • The Faithful Friend
  • Where the Buffaloes Begin
  • Ben's Trumpet
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and His Orchestra
Patricia C. McKissack was the Newbery Honor, Coretta Scott King Award-winning author of The Dark-Thirty and Porch Lies an ALA Notable Book. She collaborated with Jerry Pinkney on Goin' Someplace Special (Coretta Scott King Award winner) and Mirandy and Brother Wind (Coretta Scott King Award winner and Caldecott Honor Book).