Start by marking “The Pit and the Pendulum (comic book)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Pit and the Pendulum

Edgar Allan Poe

The Pit and the Pendulum (comic book)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  51,315 Ratings  ·  693 Reviews
by Edgar Allan Poe & Marc Lougee The Pit and the Pendulum is an adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's classic story of condemnation, hope and redemption. The comic book version of Poe's story borrows images from the award-winning stop-motion animated film, The Pit and the Pendulum, executive produced by the legendary Ray Harryhausen!
Nook, 0 pages
Published July 29th 2011 by Devil's Due Digital (first published 1842)

To ask other readers questions about The Pit and the Pendulum, please sign up.
Natalie If you love Poe, I'm sure you'll love this one. It seems to be one of his most popular.

Jeffrey Keeten
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
”The entire surface of this metallic enclosure was rudely daubed in all the hideous and repulsive devices to which the charnel superstition of the monks has given rise. The figures of fiends in aspects of menace, with skeleton forms, and other more really fearful images, overspread and disfigured the walls.”

photo pit-and-pendulum20Harry20Clarke_zps9moy5muo.jpg
Simply superb illustration by Harry Clarke.

Our nameless narrator has been condemned by a panel of black robed, white lipped, stern faced judges. His crime is unknown, but then this is the I
Glenn Russell
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

At age twelve I was given my first introduction to the world of literature by my mother who read me Poe’s The Pit and the Pendulum. I can still vividly recollect living through the horrors of the chamber with the unnamed narrator, wondering why Christian monks would construct such a room and why Christian monks would inflict such torture. I still wrestle with a number of the story’s themes.

SADISM
Why do such a thing? The story’s torture chamber is not a makeshift construction slapped together; ra
Michael
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic of sensational horror, The Pit and the Pendulum is also, for me, one of the Poe stories that most closely resembles (and certainly influences) later writers such as Franz Kafka. Here we have several Kafka-like elements: a judgment pronounced by distant, stern, inhuman judges, with no sense of what crime, if any, may have been committed, and then a devious punishment that gets more devious as time goes on. The narrator is also utterly alone in the world, save the hungry rats, and this l ...more
Candi
As the doorbell rings nearly incessantly and the frigid air seeps into my living room, I am all tucked up in a corner of the couch with my fluffy blanket, a glass of The Velvet Devil Merlot, and a book of tales from the master of horror, Edgar Allan Poe. I'm leaving the job of distributing candy to the hubby, while my teen son oversees the execution of his annual Halloween light and music show which grows increasingly elaborate each year. I can't think of a better way to spend the evening!

The Pi
Bookdragon Sean
WHAT DO YOU MEAN MR POE?!!!?

Time conquers all; it is an inescapable fate for all men: it cannot be defeated or avoided. It’s a powerful, unshakable, enemy and a recurring theme across many of Poe’s stories. I’ve seen it a few times now. This time it is a tormenter and a reminder of the incoming doom in the dark pit that is death. This is represented by the pendulum, sweeping like a minute hand, getting faster and faster as it approaches the narrator; it symbolises that death will be the end of
James
Book Review
3+ of 5 stars to The Pit and the Pendulum, a short story written in 1842, by Edgar Allan Poe. As in the tradition of Poe's other Gothic and gory tales, this one takes the fear of death to new heights. Poe tells the story of a man facing punishment during the Spanish Inquisition, a death like no other. At first, he's strapped to a wooden table while a pendulum swings from above with a saw, getting lower and lower until it's nearly about to start ripping into his flesh. But the vict
Jean
The Pit and the Pendulum (published in 1842) is one of Poe's most famous tales of horror. It does not have a supernatural element, but relies on evoking fear in the reader because of its heavy emphasis on sensations, (view spoiler) It packs a punch precisely because it it feels so rooted in reality, rather than incorporating anything supernatural.

The story
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. I'm not much of a horror fiction reader, but I like to dabble in the shallower waters of horror short stories occasionally, and October brings it out in me. In this 1842 short story by Edgar Allen Poe, an unnamed prisoner tells of the ghastly and elaborate tortures he endures at the hands of the Spanish Inquisition. He begins with his sentencing by black-robed judges, a nightmarish sequence of images that culminates in his loss of consciousness. When he awakes, he's in a pitch dark ro ...more
Araz Goran
الحفرة والبندول ~ إدجار آلان بو

ياللجحيم الساكن في دماغ هذا الرجل , كل قصة يكتبها هي الفزع, هي الجحيم بعينه, الشر المطلق
الوقت والرعب , لا يلتقيان أبداً إلا في أبشع القصص , لا شيء يُفزع الإنسان أكثر من مصارعة الوقت وتحدي الموت البطيء الذي سيأتي كعقوبة إعدام , الوقوف على الخط الفاصل بين الحياة والموت , حين يكون الوقت هو السيد..

في هذه القصة يكثف " بو " مفهوم الوقت كيف أنها تتلاعب بنفسية الإنسان في أصعب الظروف , حين تعلم أن الموت قادم لا محالة , حين تشعر بدغدغة الخطر وأنت عاجز عن فعل أي شيء حقيقي لأي
Fabian
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What makes this one a bit more hair-raising is its radical two-point climax curve. The guy nearly dies at the pit, then nearly dies at the pendulum. SAT words galore as well as the best known anecdote of death at the Inquisition, at least for me, makes it easily an essential read. Just for horror writers: Here's a wealth of adjectives & verbs that describe dread & the absolute horror of impending death!
Brian
Third Read, 8/2017: The story overwhelms me with such excited emotion. The work reads like a painting with more vivid reality that a digital picture. Out if this emotion I must say. Wow! What unbelievable talent! Why did I wait so long to get into Poe?

"It was hope that prompted the nerve to quiver- the frame to shrink. It was hope- the hope that triumphs in the rack- that whispers to the death- condemned even in the dungeons of the inquisition." My favorite line, perhaps a main theme, and one th
Bettie☯

Opening: I WAS SICK --- SICK UNTO death with that long agony; and when they at length unbound me, I was permitted to sit, I felt that my senses were leaving me.

Carol
The sentence of death with torturous fear.......

"I panted! I gasped for breath! Oh most unrelenting! Oh most demoniac of men! Oh horror! Oh! Any horror, but this!"

This short POE horror classic, THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM is a first time read for me and it did not disappoint! The ending truly surprised me. Loved it!

Kathleen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A brilliant example of embodied writing.

“They writhed upon my throat; their cold lips sought my own; I was half stifled by their thronging pressure; disgust, for which the world has no name, swelled my bosom, and chilled, with a heavy clamminess, my heart.”

You feel it first—the fear, the horror. Then your mind follows. The word torture has lost its edge. This is torture. And also, this is why it is important to hope.

Must. Read. More. Poe.
K.D. Absolutely
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2012)
I used to hear this short story from my history teacher in high school, Mr. Virgilio Amolar. i am not sure what was its relationship with "New Jerusalem", "Urbana and Feliza" and "Lemuria" but he mentioned all of these during our Philippine History class when I was 15. Now that I am old and starting to gray, I think Mr. Amolar is a crazy teacher who uttered all of this in our history class just to have something to say. Maybe he was fascinated by all of these.

The Pit and the Pendulum is a very s
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

In Masque of the Red Death, Poe excelled at dread through a pronounced description of setting. Here, setting is present but it's mainly dread through the creative viewpoint of the man's internal monologue and desperation.

Emotion is high and strong throughout during the terrible ordeal - The Inquisition has taken place, the man has been sentenced, and he
Jose Moa
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teror, fantasy
Putting aside the histhoric context of the tale that is a accesory frame for the picture,the narration, we pass to review.

The tale is one of the greatest romantic horror tales,told in first person by a condemned to death by the Toledo Inquisition, with the great prose of Poe.
Is a tale about subjetive pass of time,about the subjetive terrorific reality in a sensorial deprived situation,a nightmarish voyage to the unknown next torture, and told in a sort of conscious stream of hopeles fear and ter
Fernando
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este cuento de Poe me fascina, porque al igual que con El Entierro Prematuro, nos posiciona en el mismo lugar que el narrador. Son cuentos desesperantes, asfixiantes, nos hacen sentir incómodos, consustanciarnos con la desgracia de quien lo padece y queriendo leer rápidamente las líneas del cuento para salir a respirar. O no...
Katarina Antonia
Dark, terrifying and reminds me on a long forgotten nightmare- truly a masterpiece.
Lou
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Upon waking from lethargy or sleep he plunges our protagonist into total darkness a dark chamber of death and torture. Rats and a pendulum of terror are his immediate horrors as the swing of death of the pendulum lowers and increases in speed the beads of sweat upon the characters forehead increase in the terror he is experiencing. A masterpiece of writing from Edgar Allan Poe, the creator of the dark tale and splendid writing. He really places you in the moment and you feel the air of dread and ...more
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
"To the victims of its tyranny, there was the choice of death with its direst physical agonies, or death with its most hideous moral horrors. I had been reserved for the latter. By long suffering my nerves had been unstrung, until I trembled at the sound of my own voice, and had become in every respect a fitting subject for the species of torture which awaited me."

Really good, suspenseful little story, told with Poe's deft touch of the macabre. Unlike most of Poe's other stories, though, this on
Tracey
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This scared the living daylights out of me. I bloody loved it.
Dana
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every October, I pull out the Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe that my mother gave me so I can immerse myself in the ominous fall atmosphere I associate with Halloween. To me, Poe is the original King of Horror (sorry Stephen King). Each time I read a Poe work, I'm caught up in the elegant and intelligent wording that makes these pieces so accessible to modern audiences. His short stories are not just very well written, but the words create a dark and eerie setting that demands that something a ...more
Leonard
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waking up in darkness, fearing a live burial; groping in the darkness almost falling into a pit; bound to a framework under a swinging pendulum while rats rush for their midnight snack; sizzling iron walls squeezing together, but not to cook hamburgers. These could be scenes from Indiana Jones and the Dungeons of Toledo. And yet, The Pit and the Pendulum is classic Poe: heart throbbing, adrenaline rushing, spine tinkling and hair raising suspense and terror. The story triumphs not only through i ...more
A. Dawes
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The Pit and the Pendulum 4* As a reader who enjoys dark fiction, fantasy and historical fiction, this imaginative tale of torture during the Spanish Inquisition really intrigued me. The strong aural imagery throughout takes us almost into the realm of the ghostly too. I feel as though this story had a great influence on gothic horror tales in general. While not as complicated as some other of Poe's tales, it's still a captivating narrative.
Haifa
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A man sentenced to death is put in a dungeon to meet the destiny set to him by his torturers.
Doomed. Tic toc, tic toc.

As a helpless spectator of the horrifying sight, the tumult of feelings kept unreeling before my eyes.
“all sensations appeared swallowed up in a mad rushing descent as of the soul into Hades. Then silence, and stillness, night were the universe.”

Torn between Fear and Hope (though the latter only seemed to emphasize the dreadfulness of the situation) the agony is palpable.
“Af
Bonnie
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bonnie by: 1001 Books to Read Before You Die
’Arousing from the most profound of slumbers, we break the gossamer web of some dream.’

Another short story by Edgar Allan Poe that tells of a man that wakes in darkness to be judged and given a death sentence. He loses consciousness and falls into somewhat of a slumber, where he is still aware, but… not.

’The blackness of eternal night encompassed me. I struggled for breath. The intensity of the darkness seemed to oppress and stifle me. The atmosphere was intolerably close.’

Thinking that the sen
✨Susan✨
A classic from Poe, not my favorite as there was no connection to the character beyond his ability to think rationally and the tone of his fear. The Who, What and Why were not covered enough for me to care, however, still creepy.
molly
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etc-books
hella freaky, read this for an gothic horror English task at school.
  • The Fall of the House of Usher & Other Stories
  • The Monastery
  • The Nose
  • The Real Charlotte
  • Castle Richmond
  • The Musgrave Ritual (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Monkey's Paw and Other Tales of Mystery and Macabre
  • The Lottery
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Judge's House
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • Albigenses

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Bachelor Girl
  • The Wednesday Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
“...the agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair.” 53 likes
“I call to mind flatness and dampness; and then all is madness - the madness of a memory which busies itself among forbidden things.” 43 likes