Start by marking “Childcraft: The How And Why Library 1984” as Want to Read:
Childcraft: The How And Why Library 1984

Childcraft: The How And Why Library 1984

(Childcraft - The How and Why Library 1984)

Childcraft was first published in 1934. Since then it has undergone substantial revision several times. This edition is a 15-volume resource library designed especially for preschool and primary-grade children and for the older child who needs high-interest, easy-to-read materials. Childcraft also serves as a resource for parents, teachers, and librarians.
Hardcover, 50 years anniversary
Published January 1st 1982 by World Book-Childcraft International (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Childcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Childcraft

M. Lawrence
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series of books when I was a kid. They were sold along with the World Book Encyclopedia set, which my parents also bought and I also read avidly. Childcraft was designed to be a sort of encyclopedia for kids, I think, but it really was so much more, with each volume dedicated to everything from nursery rhymes to international folk tales to biology and how technology and machinery work. Fascinating stuff. The articles were extremely well written with first-class illustrations that en ...more
Jay Traub
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Childcraft books are wonderful. I still read them as an adult, but for a child, they open the world up in ways that are profound in how they shape the view of the world. The book on plants and stories from around the world are my favorites. The set I read was from the 1970s, and I am not sure if there is an updated set, but I am not entirely sure I want an updated set. If I ever have kids, I would try really hard to make sure they had access to these books.
Tia
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I grew up with this series, and wow! - this series really opened my imagination up as a child! I loved the stories, poetry, facts and fiction these books provided. We ended up with 19 books, as we were still sent others such as the Indian book, the book of the sea, and I can't quite remember the last two... hhmmm... Wonderful Childcraft International, very grateful for these wonderful books...
Meyps
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 80s fanatics
The 15 books in the Childcraft collection, circa 1980s were my constant childhood companions. I grew up enjoying red Volume 1's nursery rhymes and poems, apple green Volume 2's stories and fables; I learned to recognize more animals aside from the usual dog, cat, cow, and pig in brown Volume 5; started being conscious about the different types of people, different cultures, different worlds in orange Volume 8; discovered that my imagination was broader and better than my fine motor skills with b ...more
Nayera Faisal
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
بحب جدا السلسلة دى قريتها اكتر من مرة و انا صغيرة و مترجمه بإسم سلسلة الباب المفتوح
May
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the 1988, 1993 edition. The Arabic Version by "Al-Bab Al-Maftuh الباب المفتوح".

I began to look at the pictures even before I knew how to read. I used to ask my siblings to read them to me. After few years I was able to read them by myself and boy did I read. I also discovered that my sister made up stories as she pretended to read to me.

I learned many things from these books. math, art, cultures and many more. I also learned how to count to 10 in Italian from them. I still remember them
Haily Lincoln
After years of searching online, I finally found what these book's were called. I read these books cover to cover through my childhood until roughly high school even though they were probably outdated for my generation. I still loved them and think of them often, they helped shaped my love of reading and learning.
Dena
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I grew up having these in my home. I especially liked the "Make and Do" volume and the one about the holidays and seasons. I was surprised our library has them here to check out.
May Prez
I once had the mostly complete 1961 set when I was younger, but my mom made me throw most of them away :(

We had another edition of one, The Green Kingdom and that one was my favorite.
Hailey Shannon
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My childhood!
✨Jinglemarco✨  Маркуша - Мишутка (Nursery rhymes enthusiast)*

So this is the original version of my italian "I Quindici" collection, where, I think, images about cities and urban streets mostly were switched with the ones of Milan, for an italianization.
Michelle Moloney King
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
These books were the building blocks of my childhood!
wena
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brings back good memories :-) wonderful books from world book!
Margaret Chind
Oct 29, 2014 is currently reading it
Chad Lamb
The boring guide for parents -- not entertaining reading material for kids.
Monica Henderson-carpenter
This was something I read as a child and wanted to introduce my daughter to. I am so glad to have found them again!
Mroush
Apr 28, 2013
Ayessa
Feb 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

Childcraft - The How and Why Library 1984 (1 books)
  • Great Myths And Legends (1984 Childcraft Annual)