Start by marking “Samson and Denial” as Want to Read:
Samson and Denial

Samson and Denial

Samson Gallows is an average guy. He loves his wife, loses more than he wins, and lives his days in the gray zone between right and wrong.

After a junkie walks into his pawnshop with a mummified head, Samson is thrown into a downward spiral through the streets of Philadelphia, getting more blood on his hands wherever he goes.

In 24 hours, Samson learns how deep betrayal
Paperback, Limited/1st, 126 pages
Published 2011 by Thunderstorm Books

To ask other readers questions about Samson and Denial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samson and Denial

Start your review of Samson and Denial
Sjgomzi
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-list-2019
Wow! So much story packed into this crazy bloody firecracker of a novella. I loved this and can’t wait to get my hands on more of his books. This was a hell of a lotta fun! ...more
Chris
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written noir crime action thriller with several interesting twists and just the right amount of absurd humor elements to make it enjoyable and shine a bit of light into an otherwise very dark story. The supernatural element felt a bit like one of those game “cheats” that you use to clear levels that you have no business having any success with, but was still fun.

I would definitely read more by this writer.
Kevin Lucia
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Samson and Denial (Thunderstorm Books) is a powerful debut from author Robert Ford, a story reeling at a break-neck pace that demands a reading in one sitting. This is Robert E. Howard, Norman Partridge and Bryan Smith, all rolled into one explosive package that doesn't mince words, but also doesn't sacrifice its craft. It's a story of substance as well as fast-paced thrills.

Things have taken a nasty turn for pawnbroker and small-time drug-dealer Samson Gallows. His brother and drug-dealing
Nick Cato
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ford's supernatural crime novella is a quick, tight read with absolutely ZERO filler.

When Sammy (a Philadelphia street kid who now owns a pawn shop) finds his brother brutally murdered at the hands of the Russian mob (who have also kidnapped his wife), he's on a mission to get her back regardless of the overwhelming odds. Along with his huge Desert Eagle handgun, Sammy's surprise weapon turns out to be a mummified head a junkie unloaded at his shop.

With smart street-wise dialogue, brutal
Glen Krisch
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whoa, so good.
Wayne Fenlon
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first single story I've read of Bob Ford's, previously reading collaborations with John Boden and Matt Hayward (amazing by the way, check them out)
So, where does this one stand?
Well it's older, 2011, but that doesn't mean to say it doesn't stand up. It's very good.
The writing is really on point.
There was a touch of humour in this that I really liked too, and I did feel emotionally attached to certain characters. The story moves swiftly along, maybe a little too swiftly for me this
Frank Errington
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Samson Gallows runs a pawn shop in South Philly and he's involved in a little side business with his brother, Markey, if you get my drift.

The story starts with a drugy walking into the shop, wanting to pawn a 3,000 year old, mummified head.

Robert Ford's writing is as real as a Philly cheesesteak, one from Geno's or Pat's, if you will.

Bob knows his craft and how to paint a picture. "I drove back through Rittenhouse Square and saw the bum was still there. He was ankle-deep in the fountain,
Jamie
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here we are again...I've read more of Bob Ford's work, and I'm here to sing his praises some more. 2019 has been quite a year for my bookshelves, which are near collapse under the weight of my favorite authors' work. This year has been exceptional with regards to discovering new-to-me writers, many of which do not get the recognition they deserve. Bob Ford is included in this fine group of talented people.
I feel like I'm backpedaling a bit as I make my way through his books, as I started out by
Ms. Nikki
Samson and his brother are making good money with the pawn shop and dealing on the side until a Boss wants the money they are making and then things go downhill very fast. A bloody crime read with a paranormal twist. A good, short read.
Mandy DeGeit
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ever have one of those days where you should’ve stayed in bed because everything seems to go wrong? Today is that day for pawnshop owner, Samson Gallows.

Things start to go downhill when Samson purchases a mummified head from a junkie. Over the next twenty four hours, Samson is forced into a world of murder, mystery and mayhem where he meets some very interesting characters. Between Nick, the junkie he purchased to the head from; the two tortuous Russians he keeps running into; his prostitute
George Wilhite
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Samson and Denial” from Robert Ford is gritty dark crime tale with a twist of the supernatural. This novella is easily read in a sitting or two due to its fast pace and wonderful first person narrative reminiscent of a great film noir or pulp novel of the past.

Samson runs a palm shop and deals drugs. The former brings him into the possession of what Nick--his loser, regular client--claims to be the severed head of an ancient mummy. The latter gets his brother Marky murdered soon thereafter. His
Lincoln
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bob Ford's prose and voice are deceptively simple, but he always makes sure to slip in a reminder or two that there’s a real smart feller in there. It’s a rare gift in a genre often filled with sculpted, poetic phrasings and raw, brutal depictions; not that there’s anything wrong with either, but Bob’s smooth style definitely sets him apart from the crowd, and that can only be a good thing. This slim, brief taste of a novella is absolutely worth any horror fan’s time, and is a rarity in that it’ ...more
Michael
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-e-books
This is not a book I would normally read but I'm glad I did. This may be a quick read but it contains a great deal of action and violence and a mummy head.

I had a lot of fun reading this and hated that it ended so soon. Bob Ford is a talented writer that doesn't waste a lot of time on backstories or background. once the story gains momentum there's just no stopping it.

Bottom line if you want a quick action packed and violent read pick this up. You won't be disappointed.
Emily Warner
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Samson And Denial is a page turning must read! This author wields a gifted pen and makes you want more when the final page is read. Read for yourself! This is a truly talented author that will inspire you with his gift of the written word.
Russell Coy
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A hellish ride through the mean streets of Philly. You never know what's going to happen next with Ford, but as always he ties it all together with the voice of his main character. Bob Ford has always wowed me, and here he does it again.
Jack
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If your life's in danger and someone offers to sell you a mummified head for 20 dollars snap their hand off! SAMSON AND DENIAL is a cool modern splatter novel from Bob Ford. I had never heard of Bob before when I took a gamble on Amazon. I didn't regret it and I urge you to do the same...
Jeff Heimbuch
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read it awhile back, and loved it. Just read it again, and it still kicks all sorts of ass. Bob knows how to write a great story, and proves it time and time again. This one is incredible, and well worth the read, folks.
Neal Hock
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Bob Ford's writing, and this story was no disappointment. A touch of noir, a bit of horror, and a lot of raw, gritty emotion combine to create an altogether entertaining and engaging story. There's enough in here to keep fans of multiple genres entertained. Highly recommended.
James Wood
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bob Ford never disappoints! If you are new to his writing then this is a good place to start. Short, nasty and to the point!
Robbie
This was a strangely good book. I had no idea what to expect and yet I was still surprised. I give this one 4.4 stars.
Dave Thomas
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Bob's created a fun, unique, violent, tightly wound noir/mobster/supernatural/action story showcasing my hometown--how could I not love it!? Never a dull moment from start to finish.
Doungjai
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a short fun read about betrayal, a mummy's head, drugs, Russians, and naked knife-wielding women. loved it!
Rob Twinem
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Enjoyable fun read involving a mummified head and an ancient long forgotten curse...just the stuff to make a nice little horror story....
Keith A
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing was just ok and the story never developed enough to pull me in. Rounding up because of the writing but still not very good.
Nick
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast, violent, supernatural crime novella. Grabs you right away and speeds you along through a crazy quick moving plot. Great mix of action and scares.
Sid Stiles