Start by marking “Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16)” as Want to Read:
Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16)

Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver #16)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,060 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
When James Lessiter returns to Lenton after many years to claim his family estate, his reappearance opens old wounds never healed. Then he is found bludgeoned to death by a fire poker and the suspects are too numerous to count. Thank heavens Miss Silver is in town to visit a friend.
Published (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Silver Comes to Stay, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Judy Lesley
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Patricia Wentworth series featuring that wonder of private investigation, Miss Maud Silver, can always be counted on to deliver a relaxing, comfortable reading experience. In today's mystery novel culture they are wonderful road trips down a small village street where you can be assured of hearing no profanity (surely there must be SOME, but it certainly doesn't stand out in my memory), of reading a description of murder couched in only the most oblique of phrases, and of knowing something l ...more
Nathan Eilers
Mar 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of mysteries
Recommended to Nathan by: a lady at a book store
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This book is average. Wentworth is no master of prose, but neither is she terrible. Her mystery is sadly bereft of the usual suspense a murder mystery has because she eliminates too many suspects as she goes. Her protagonist isn't much. Miss Silver's main talent exists in getting people to trust her enough to tell he what's going on, which I suppose is a talent, but it puts her well below the Miss Marples of the world. She never really sleuths.

There were small annoyances in this one. I grew extr
Tweety
The coziest of who-dunits!

With a cast of characters both likable, unlikable to downright hateful this little English house Mystery sets it's alongside the likes of Agatha Christie, Georgette Heyer and other. There's a light romance, and plenty of busybody villagers who know how to eavesdrop.

I'm not doing a synopsis since its a mystery were the least said the better. But I can say that I just knew who had done it, I felt so sure and then, near the end I found out who it really was. If you can g
Mo
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars

So you think you've got this one all figured out early in the story... HAH!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver #16), Patricia Wentworth
Sally
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I've now read 19 of the 32 Miss Silver mysteries. This is the 16th in the series. They are all pleasant cozy reads, with different plots and new personalities for Miss Silver to observe and analyze, but other than giving a synopsis of the plot, it is hard to give a meaningful review of each one. It does seem that each one has at least one really disagreeable character that either becomes the victim of murder or turns out to be the perpetrator, and in a way that makes them satisfying. Patricia We ...more
Emmanuelle Maupassant
Being an avid reader of Agatha Christie, I had high hopes for 'Miss Silver' - who is clearly inspired by the delightful 'Miss Marple'.

While her character failed to hold me, I largely enjoyed Wentworth's portraits of the main protagonists, and the writing was perfectly 'of its time', in the 'cosy mystery' style.

The theme of thwarted and lost love is one I am drawn to, so I was ready to settle to the story. Sadly, details failed to be sufficiently explored and I found my attention wandering abou
Miriam
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Instead of tracking down the beginning of the series as I meant to, I read #16 because I'm at my mother's and she had it on the shelf. I doubt it makes too much difference, although I am curious now about this prior mystery that involved Randal Marsh and his sisters, students of Miss Silver's from her governess days. Randal is now grown up and a police detective. Miss Silver always seems to be drawn into these mysteries through various old friends or their distant relatives. And she always seems ...more
Andrea
This has a good character set-up, though the resolution of the murder simply involves someone listening in on a conversation that makes clear the murderer.
QNPoohBear
When Miss Maud Silver comes to stay with an old friend, she doesn't count on being called on in a professional capacity to solve the murder of James Lassiter. 25 years ago, James Lassiter wanted to marry Rietta Cray, despite her cousin Catherine Lee's attempts to attach him. Alas, James went away penniless, Catherine married Edward Welby and Rietta was left to raise her sister's son Carr Robertson. When Edward died, he left Catherine with hardly anything to live on and she turned to her
Ryan
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I think I've really delved into the Golden Age of mystery writing, that I've read a wide array of authors, and met the most important characters in the genre; I realize something very important, I'm only getting started. Patricia Wentworth and her knitting detective, Miss Silver, have popped up on my radar before. I'm sure that both Yvette of in so many words... and Bev of My Reader's Block have reviewed her books before. My first experience with Miss Silver, was a parodied version of ...more
Pat
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixteenth book in Patricia Wentworth’s popular Miss Silver detective series originally published in 1948. Anyone who has ever watched the TV series “Midsomer Murders” knows that however quiet an English village seems to be there are strong passions and bitter rivalries and resentments beneath the outward calm. It is no different in the village of Melling where Miss Silver arrives to stay with an old friend.
The return of James Lessiter to claim the house he has just inherited is the i
Stephanie Cowart
I read this for a book club that I'm just joining. It's a murder mystery set in the late 1940's. The writing was fine - very old fashioned etc. etc. in keeping with the times. My Silver is a sort of old lady detective with sleuthing abilities that all the characters marvel at given her career as a governess.
I didn't guess the murderer right off so that's something.
I didn't dislike it terribly - it just wasn't very intriguing for me and thus probably won't be a series that I'll read again.

I went
Susan
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Oyster
Shelves: mysteries
Miss Silver comes to visit an old school friend in a small village: “a village green complete with pond and ducks; the church with its old graveyard; the Vicarage; the village inn…; the entrance pillars and lodge of a big house; a row of cottages, their gardens still bright with sunflowers, phlox and Michaelmas daisies.” The squire has recently returned to the big house but has already given many people reason to dislike and fear him. It’s no surprise that he’s the first victim, but this book of ...more
Rachel
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Apparently a rather lengthy series of Miss Silver mysteries have been written, but this was my first. In a mystery series, one should really feel a connection to the sleuth (like how I love Barbara Havers) or their foibles should be only slightly irritating (like Holmes or Poirot). Miss Silver is bland. She knits like a fiend and coughs with more expression than Meryl Streep emotes, but other than that...

The mystery was so so. Not Christie level by any means, but much better than many other aut
Grey853
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I think what I like about this series is that it's a lot easier to figure out who's going to be clobbered than who the killer is. The murder victims are so nasty, that it's not much of a care when they do get done in. The reader is made to feel far more for the main suspects, which I did in this one.

Overall a good, solid traditional mystery. The one thing that I have found annoying so far is that when Miss Silver disapproves of what someone is saying or doing, she coughs. I mean, she must cough
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-candy, mystery
Not a great read. The writing was bland. The mystery was lacking. The suspects were eliminated as suspects as you read so the suspense was lacking. And Miss Silver didn't do much but talk to a few people and gain their confidence. A decent DCI should have been able to do the same and not need her to solve the case (but this mystery lies on the whole premise that the Chief Constable was completely baffled and only lead aright because of Miss Silver). So, not that great and no need to read more by ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Miss Silver is a quiet, slightly prudish, brilliant elderly detective whose greatest asset is her ordinariness, which allows her to extract amazing information from people involved in the crimes she investigates. She often has a knitting project in her hands, which adds to her charm. I recommend the Miss Silver books to detective fiction fans and non-fans alike. They give a great snapshot of the post-Edwardian era in England.
Margaret
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book delightful. This review does a better job of comparing our spinster detective, Miss Silver, to Miss Marple, than I could manage. So I link it.

Btw I am glad I won't have to write a review to enter the date I finished the book. As to when I started it--before I set it and three others aside to finish the library book for book discussion. Who keeps track?
Elizabeth
I didn't figure out "who did it" - but then, I don't read many mysteries.

I enjoyed the references to Miss Silver knitting. The author telling the reader repeatedly that "Miss Silver coughed" is annoying and in my opinion, doesn't add anything to the narrative. Other than that, I like the prose style. I like the setting (an English village), but not any of the characters particularly.

I don't plan to read any more of Patricia Wentworth's novels.
Katie Hilton
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining, light murder mystery by a British author who is new to me. I have found another series to track down, but I fear many of these Miss Silver books may be out of print. Miss Silver, a retired governess with a deep understanding of human nature and foibles, is an amateur detective who knits while she considers the case. I like her!
Denise Kearney
Another good Golden Age of Mystery cozy 3.5 stars. , IBook-$1.99 Early Bird Books
Nancy
I knew a little about this author and series, but did not realize quite how prolific Wentworth was. She wrote 32 books in this series, and 34 other books, wow! I think her time period is called The Golden Age, but no dates appear in the story. The other thing that took me by surprise was how late in the story Miss Silver actually appears, as it was halfway through before she is consulted.
Miss Silver is a retired nanny and schoolteacher. She has come to visit an old school friend in a small villa
Bryn (Plus Others)
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I thought I wasn't going to like this one at first, but it picked up very quickly, and I was glad to see Wentworth once again mixing up her tropes. (view spoiler) ...more
Robyn
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Bookperk Deal | The thing that makes the Miss Silver Mysteries resemble Agatha Christie the most is that the solution is usually emotionally satisfying, and this was no exception. | As soon as the eventual murder victim was introduced, I said aloud "what a dick!" which is a coarse but accurate description of him. So it wasn't at all distressing for him to be killed. In these books the culprit and any of their additional victims are people you're perfectly happy to see the back of, and that holds ...more
Derk
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd Miss Silver book I've read and I liked it even better than the first one. Only her cough is annoying. I'll soon try a third book. (In both books I soon guessed the villain's identity.)
Carol Berkman
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love Miss Silver!

Another in the series with wonderfully sketched country characters, a romance and a neatly solved mystery. Perfect escapist reading and intelligent as well.
Sherry
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable Miss Silver mystery! Always preferable to have her on the spot before the murder!
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful Miss Silver mystery!
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
  • A Blunt Instrument (Inspector Hannasyde, #4)
  • The Cape Cod Mystery (Asey Mayo Cape Cod Mystery, #1)
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
“Henry, for heaven's sake! You can't propose when I'm fainting!” 10 likes