Start by marking “The Healing Powers of Honey” as Want to Read:
The Healing Powers of Honey

The Healing Powers of Honey

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Did you know?...

Known as Mother Nature's "nectar of the gods," honey was praised for its healing powers as far back as 5,000 years ago by Egyptians.

Eating honey can help lower the risk of heart disease, cancer , diabetes--even help reduce body fat and unwanted weight!--and increase longevity.

Pure, raw, unprocessed honey is a healthier sweetener than table sugar and high fr
Published September 27th 2011 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Healing Powers of Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healing Powers of Honey

Joanna
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I find honeybees so fascinating that I was thrilled to begin this book. The thrill dissolved quickly, but I remained hopeful. I don't like leaving books unfinished (when I do, it usually due to book-ADD--so much to read, so little time), and I don't like giving books poor ratings. This one was so poorly-written that I couldn't bring myself to plod more than a quarter of the way through its 300+ pages of irrelevant fluff for the few particles of sensible information it contained.

There were also W
Denise Hlavka
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading parts of this, off and on, since receiving it as a gift last fall. Finally finished in its entirety, but I know I will use this as a permanent reference source for years to come. This book kind of changed my life....honey is absolutely amazing!
Valerie
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enlightening. After buying raw honey for my cat and seeing how her energy increased I wanted to know more. I learned a lot from this book.
Amy
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book that provides a little bit of everything -- tips, rules, recipes, etc.
Nancy Narma
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't Let This Volume of Sweetness Buzz Past!
If you’re anything like me, my knowledge of honey was limited to the ooze from Baklava, a drizzle in your teacup to sweeten up your day, and the age-old “prescription” mixed with lemon to soothe a sore throat and nagging cough. WOW! Have I ever been missing out! Cal Orey has explored every facet of the luscious nectar, from bee to baked goodies to medicinal properties and beyond. I’m betting your mouth will water like mine has, over the wonderful var
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I have trouble with the "lite journalism" style of this book. It's too repetitive by far --and by "repetitive" I mean giving the same tiny bit of information three times on the same page, in the same words.

I have trouble with an author who uses the term "factoids" about their own writing (and yes, I am aware of both definitions).

If you know absolutely nothing about honey, maybe you can glean something here. But it's too reminiscent of an infomercial for me. Something about it--maybe the author'
Aleksandar Mićović
Makes a case for the consumption of honey, but as a book, I can't recommend it to anyone in good conscience.

I love puns, and the first 20 times the un-bee-lievable bee puns were cute. But these puns weren't thrown in to be cute. They were a part of the core vocabulary, and that's just a little off-putting in a book trying to make its case for some pretty serious claims. Something the book hasn't done effectively, hence my score. I realize that the scientific literature on honey is sparse, but I
Francine
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is something of a Honey 101 experience. Author gives the reader basic information, some history of honey's use over the ages, a discussion of varieties, uses (remedies from your kitchenO, recipes and more. The author lists 6 treatments for a cough., This is the most thorough exploration I have read to date.

Highly recommended.
Deborah Martinez
I gave the book 3 stars as I learned a lot of new information, but with that being said, the writing was poor. I did write down a few of the recipes that were in the book, so I will look forward to trying those!
Kate
May 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are much better books on the subject. It is a little to folksy for me. To much about the writer not enough about the subject.
Kristin Sauter
Reva
Oct 31, 2014
VegasGal
May 01, 2012
Cal Orey is an author and journalist. She has a master's degree in English from San Francisco State University and for three decades has written hundreds of articles for a variety of national magazines. She specializes in topics on health, science, pets, and relationships. She lives in Northern CA. She is known for her hugely popular Healing Powers book series published by Kensington. These down-t ...more
More about Cal Orey...