Start by marking “The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)

The Resistance (The Declaration #2)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  6,413 Ratings  ·  399 Reviews
The chilling, powerful sequel to Gemma Malley's acclaimed debut, The Declaration. For fans of The Hunger Games In a world where nobody dies, Peter and Anna are Opt Outs - they choose not to live for ever . . . but is that enough? To try and fight the system further, Peter infiltrates Pincent Pharma, the company behind Longevity - the drug that offers eternal life. But he f ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury Children's (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Resistance

Kimberly
Jun 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Karin
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE RESISTANCE is the much anticipated sequel to THE DECLARATION. It picks up where THE DECLARATION leaves off and is told through Peter’s eyes. He and Anna live together with Ben, Anna’s brother, in a run down house trying to keep out of the way. Peter and Anna aren’t comfortable being Legal yet and find the stares and nasty comments coming from the other citizens unsettling.

Peter and Anna work for the Underground whenever they can. They both want to see the Declaration a thing of the past. Pe
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Find this review, plus more, on my blog: Booklikes OR Blogger

Basic Info

Format:
Kindle
Pages/Length: n/a
Genre: Young Adult; Dystopia
Reason For Reading: Challenge, and story!

At A Glance

In Depth

Best Part:
Jude!
Worst Part: None
Thoughts Had: So much is going on, i love it!

Conclusion

Continuing
Marcia
Ik heb opnieuw enorm genoten van The Resistance. De originele toekomstvisie uit  The Declaration wordt verder uitgewerkt en de schrijfstijl is nog altijd even vlot. Door de perspectiefwisselingen en de introductie van nieuwe personages blijft het boek bovendien erg spannend. Hoewel het einde geen echte cliff hanger heeft, ben ik zeker benieuwd naar het laatste boek in deze toffe trilogie.
Mijn complete recensie lees je op Oog op de Toekomst.

-- 2015 --
I think The Resistance is a great second book
Amelia
I think, dare I say it, that The Resistance actually has a slight edge on The Declaration, which was a marvellous enough book as it is. Now that Peter and Anna are on the outside, living as young Legals in a world were most of the inhabitants mark their age with three digits, and raising Anna's brother Ben, we get to see them interacting with a markedly different facet of society. Rather than living in a Surplus Hall, where they are brainwashed and trained to serve and be Valuable Assets*, they ...more
Emily May

Look, I really enjoyed this book, probably even more than the first one when I got into it but the author went and did exactly the same thing again... created a happy ending.

It's annoying me. Both books follow the same format of Problem > Panic > Solution > The End. I finished the first book thinking "hey, that was a really original story" but I only half-heartedly purchased the second one because the first one had ended with both Anna and Peter alive, well and no longer on the run. The
Amanda
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
“Your grandfather is doing his best to become the most fearsome deity that the world has ever known. A deity that feeds on nothing but power and greed. A deity that must be stopped, for all our sakes.”

The Resistance follows on from where The Declaration left off: Anna and Peter are living together, officially Legal, The Underground are working hard to bring down Pincent Pharma and Richard Picent is developing an even more terrifying plan to keep people young forever.

I spoke a lot about the world
Edward's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
I've gotta say the levels of brutality and evil really surprised me.
This may sound weak, but this was probably one of the most disturbing books I've ever read, with the levels of hostility and all. I did however enjoy the concept and philosophy of these series. The suspense and shocking revelations made this worthy of the title bestseller.

This makes me puzzle over the fact that most people vote for shit such as the Matchedtrilogy and The Maestro when there are works of real art like this. Plus
Librarysteph
Gemma Malley’s The Resistance is an incredible piece of literature. I think this should be studied in school, it has the potential to be the next Brave New World or 1984. The novel deals with a lot of social issues, and critiques society in a way that will have young people thinking. I have several ideas for essays I could write about this book, and it would not be difficult for a high school English teacher to create lesson plans for it.

This is the second book in the series, but I read this one
Big Book Little Book
Helen for www.bigbooklittlebook.com
Copy received from publisher in exchange for an honest review

The story continues from not long after the point where we left it in The Declaration (read my review here). Peter and Anna are living legally on the outside, trying to cope with their new life and looking after little Ben, Anna’s brother. Anna is enjoying being a mother to Ben but is struggling with living in the world so different from the Surplus Hall. Both she and Peter feel alien from this societ
Encruzilhadas Literárias
Depois da aventura mirabolante na qual Peter e Anna conquistaram o seu direito a viver de uma maneira bastante dolorosa, o jovem casal casal enfrenta agora os olhares de um mundo que está envelhecido e que teme tudo o que é novo.
Encarregados de educar e criar o irmão mais novo de Anna, Peter decide enfrentar o seu avó, criador dos produtos de Longevidade e tentar descobrir o que se passa ao certo dentro do programa enquanto ganha dinheiro para os sustentar. Já Anna tem de lidar com uma escolha
Alex
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to The Declaration. I don’t think there will be a third… but who knows. I may have to look into it. But The Resistance ends fine, and while not everything is wrapped up, it’s pretty much settled. So really, there’s no need for a third, but it would be interesting.

So The Resistance is set in the same world as The Declaration. We’ve got Anna and Peter together, with baby Ben, a few months after The Declaration left off. A new character is thrown in- a young Legal, just a little
Kellie Alley
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was better than the first one. It was both intriguing, yet irritating. Characters I thought to trust, ended up being bad. Ones I didn't trust, turned out to be heroes. The whole series is an extremely easy read.
Tia
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of this series I find deals more with Peter than anything else. He begins posing at his grandfathers company where they make Longevity. Peter is trying to find any information to help the Underground. The Underground is a group resistance, they go against everything the Authority and the declaration stand for.

Anna, in what little we see in this book, gets herself into some trouble by being forced into a trap, which the people of the Underground with Peter's help; gets her out of.
Jordan
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La première moitié du livre est assez lente et j'avais un peu peur de m'ennuyer si l'ambiance ne changeait pas.
Heureusement, et sans avoir le temps de comprendre comment, je me suis retrouvé pris par l'histoire. L'action est omniprésente dans la seconde partie du récit. Le coups de théâtre sont énormes et vraiment inattendus ! J'ai ADORÉ avoir le souffle coupé par les révélations qui nous sont faites, être en colère et dégoûté par certains personnages et être autant séduit et captivé par l'univ
Dava Tuttle
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is how much I CANNOT wait for autumn to come so that I can read the last book in this set.

I only found "The Declaration" last Friday and am already so engrossed in the lives of these characters that I've forgotten to go to sleep.

Oh how I cannot wait to see my predictions pan out or get shot down. So far I've guessed ALMOST everything correct and I LOVE that! I love that I've been so in sync with the authoress that I can see exactly where her mind is moving!

TOTALLY RECOMMEND!!!!!
Jenny
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that Caitlin read - not sure that it is suitable for a 11 year old or if she understood it all. Can people live for ever with a longevity drug? This is part 2 in The Declaration Trilogy. A lesson I'm learning fast - read what your children are reading - don't think they had books like this when I was 11. Anyway adults although simply written it is well worth reading. Looking forward to part 3.
Marnie  Krüger
I should really start to DNF books.

This book was really a drag. I didn’t like the writing style, the characters were shallow and in all honesty the plot sucked!

I will most defiantly not be reading the last book of this series…

It’s going to be my first ever DNF!
Sonia
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the resistance is a sequel to the declaration now basically peter is looking at how longevity is made and he becomes a monster in the process. Longevity is harvested from somewhere top secret. Overall amazing a little slow at first though
jesse
Aug 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partly-read, reviews
#--##--#

The chair was padded, obviously intended to put him at ease, but it wasn’t working. He rarely felt comfortable. Anna said it was because he liked to make things difficult for himself, but he wasn’t sure. He figured that it just wasn’t in his nature to feel too comfortable. Comfort made you lazy. It was the easy option.

#--##--#

All beauty has a dark side. Heaven can’t exist without hell.
Amy
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Début un peu lent et ennuyant... beaucoup de points de vue différents, donc un peu confus parfois. Finalement l'action arrive enfin et c'est un pur régal ! Des révélations, du suspense... j'ai dévoré la fin du livre ! J'ai hâte de lire le dernier tome :)
Oct 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have bad taste in books
this book is horrible!!! the first one is reeeally good but this one stinks. I started reading it but had to put it down because i couldnt stand reading it anymore.
Michele Velthuizen
As good as the first!
Fosco2004
Second in the series, still 3 *. An enjoyable enough read but it doesn't keep me gripped and I find I read other books alongside. This just doesn't capture my attention enough to look forward to reading it. I feel committed to finishing the series though so one more to go. I think this series really is younger fiction. My 12 year old will probably enjoy it.

The Jude character I found really wet and 1 dimensional. Pip the so-called revolutionary leader has little to. I character development.
Anna h
Tatiana Z.
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amour, rébellion, résistance, jusqu'à la révélation du sens de la vraie vie!
Un livre qui te fait vraiment penser à l'existence et au sens qui se cache derrière ce mot. Ecrit dans une manière plutôt utopique, il relève toutefois des problèmes quasi réels que je n'arrête pas de retrouver chez de nombreux auteurs. La vie éternelle existe-t-elle? Quels sont les risques de la surpopulation? Des problèmes qui semblent plus réels que jamais...
Marit
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, it's just like every other trilogy I've read. The first book is amazing, the second one is okay and the third one probably is just an extension to the story... But still I like the idea of this story, because it really makes me rethink some of my ideas :)
Ashleigh
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-books
This got hella crazy and dark, but it was very good. I kept forgetting that Peter and Anna are still 15 (almost 16, but still 15), they're so young for what they're doing!
Mari
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ebooks
It took me over a year, 'nuff said
sh(e)reader
DNF ... at chapter 18. 60% ... I just wasn't enjoying it and it wasn't keeping my attention.
The Level of feeling between Anna and Peter surprise you? 8 42 Aug 08, 2012 01:42PM
  • Aurora (Exodus, #3)
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Epitaph Road
  • 1.4 (Point 4, #2)
  • The Sky Inside (The Sky Inside, #1)
  • The Bar Code Rebellion (Bar Code, #2)
  • Away (The Line, #2)
  • The Carbon Diaries 2017 (Carbon Diaries, #2)
  • Neva
  • Highland Promise (Sisters by Choice, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Island
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • Fox Forever (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #3)
  • Shine Light (Night Creatures, #3)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.1)

The Declaration (3 books)
  • The Declaration (The Declaration, #1)
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
“Before he'd met Anna, he'd thought he'd known what love was, thought he'd understood about friendship, romance, all of it, but he hadn't - not at all. Until he'd held Anna in his arms, until he'd let her see into his soul, until he'd heard her cry gently when he made love to her for the first time, he'd known nothing. And now, sometimes, when it was just the two of them, when he smelt her hair, caught her eye, he felt as though he knew all there was to know about everything, as though they knew the secret of life. A secret far more powerful than Longevity, far more long-lasting.” 14 likes
“You see, what I want is life. A real life, full of moments of joy, of anguish, of irritation, of fun. A life with an end point, which makes each second important. A life that is full of love, that doesn't cause suffering and pain.” 13 likes