Start by marking “Pánico al amanecer” as Want to Read:
Pánico al amanecer

Pánico al amanecer

John Grant es un joven profesor de un pueblo de la Australia interior. De camino a Sydney, donde debe tomar un avión hacia unas merecidas vacaciones, Grant se detiene en Bundanyabba, una tórrida y polvorienta localidad minera en la que todo el mundo se aburre. Después de dejar la maleta en el hotel, se dirige a tomar una cerveza. Pero Grant no sabe que en realidad se dirig ...more
Published May 2011 by Seix Barral (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Pánico al amanecer, please sign up.
Peter There are common elements, but unlike that book, nobody is deliberately trying to hurt the main character. He's his own worst enemy, and and it's the …moreThere are common elements, but unlike that book, nobody is deliberately trying to hurt the main character. He's his own worst enemy, and and it's the over friendliness of the town people that helps bring him down more than anything.(less)

Start your review of Pánico al amanecer
Brenda
John Grant’s quiet pleasure at the thought of six weeks away from the dust, the heat and the flies; of being away from the tiny community where he taught a few students; of being in Sydney at the beautiful beaches, relaxing and getting the dust out of his system was euphoric. As he locked the school doors he was smiling – the journey on the train to Bundanyabba where he was only staying the night before flying to Sydney was imminent. He was on his way…

“Yabba”, as the locals called it, was bigger
Doug H
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This short novel blew my mind. Disturbing. Funny. Horrific. Hypnotic. Cinematic. Addictive. Reads like a David Lynch film written by the love child of Cormac McCarthy, J D Salinger and Patrick Hamilton. Oh my god, I can't even tell you!
Toby
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melanie
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping page turner about a rather annoying schoolteacher broke and burning up in an outback town.

The construction of this nightmare is sudden and brutal, as-is the decline of our protagonist.

The storytelling is hypnotic, more frightening for what it holds back than lets on.

Happy to recommend this dark gritty Aussie classic.
Janie C.
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an affecting story of a man who loses virtually everything. Gambling, haphazard decisions, alcohol and brutish companions take the narrator on a hazy and derelict journey during which he must face his own predatory and primitive nature. Despair and loss of self-control force the hapless narrator to accept the outcome of his own bad choices. Fast-paced and relentless, this novel is is an unadorned blow to the senses.

Greg
Wake In Fright

I had imagined Kafka wakes up one morning and finds himself transported to the Australian outback in this novel by Kenneth Cook. How would Kafka handle the change from his gloomy overcast world to the heat and blazing sunlight of this outback isolation Hell?
"Sweat, dust and beer... there's nothing else out here mate!"

It is not Hell at all to the characters who inhabit this place, it is heaven. The space, the light, the freedom to be yourself. No one judges anyone.

One of the main k
MaryG2E
4.5★s
Young, naive, clueless teacher John Grant travels from his remote school at Tiboonda to Bundanyabba (thinly disguised Broken Hill) for an overnight stay before he catches the plane to Sydney for the Christmas holidays. Arriving late at night, he searches for a meal and a cold drink in the stifling December heat. In the pub he gets dragged into the blokey male culture of the Yabba, which consists of drinking very large quantities of beer. From there, the intoxicated Grant is taken to a two-u
notgettingenough
Update: Tuna is listed separately now. As people have read this entry and voted for it, I wasn't sure whether I should delete it.

This is a review of Tuna, by Kenneth Cook. Goodreads does not list this strong book by a notable writer.

------------------

Having read Wake in Fright a while back, I noticed a copy of this on the shelves and it's definitely a small-handbag book, so in it went.

I read this immediately after a discussion on FB with my friend Linda which involved questions of what is 'Aust
Doug
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, rounded down.

A decidedly odd little book, it reads quickly and is involving ... but it didn't totally add up for me. That, combined with some gruesome scenes of animal slaughter; essential, but NOT pleasant reading, leads me to give it a middling rating. Am eager to now see the cult film made from it, which was my impetus for my reading it in the first place, however.
Frank B
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic tale of the civilised man from the coast going mad in the barbarous interior. John Grant is a country-town school teacher on his way back to Sydney for the summer. However, because of problems with his flight, he gets stuck for one night in the Yabba, a town based on Broken Hill in the West of NSW. Author Kenneth Cook spent time in Broken Hill himself and he recreates the atmosphere in brilliantly cynical fashion. Wake in Fright was his first novel and it's certainly the most w ...more
Nigeyb
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noir lovers, the Australian Tourist Board, drinkers, teachers
Doug H's review alerted me to this book. It's taken me a while to get to it however it was well worth the wait.

A mere 174 pages it packs a mighty punch. Written in 1961, it powerfully relates John Grant's descent into hell, here also known as outback town Bundanyabba ("the Yabba"). The people of the Yabba feel compelled to subsume any outsiders into their world. The ghastly hospitality of the local yokels provide the guileless fish-out-of-water John Grant with the worst days of his short life a
B the BookAddict
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
totally hypnotic. I was equally fascinated and repulsed but this book demanded to be read to the very end.
Pickle.
Bandit
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there was ever a man determined to undermine Australian tourism it was Cook. His novels do for Australian Outback what every other scary book and movie have done for small towns for ages now. Yeah, Cook writes the Outback not merely inhospitable or forbidding, but more like a hostile alien environment where a stranger isn’t meant to survive. This isn’t just going by this book, I’ve also read Fear The Rider, but this one seems to be not only more famous (possibly due to its cinematic adaptatio ...more
Brendan
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
got sent this one cos the publishers want me to do some puff about it that may end up on the re-release cover which i was hell stoked about as people will think im totes literary for being quoted on a book. so i gotta think of something pithy to say. feel free to throw me some suggestions. i need big, unfamiliar words. right now i got this:
a real menacing bastard of a book. lean and terrifying. im never going for a holiday to broken hill or wherever it was meant to be. kenneth cole has construc
Roberto
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy a good downward spiral in a novel. This was a particularly disturbing one, a nightmarish but grimly realistic tale of bad luck, bad decisions, and too much booze, and a shot to the heart of complacency, because y'know the wild is always just around the corner brother.
Cphe
The story of John Grant, teaching in a three shanty town in the outback who yearns for the bright lights, women and beaches of Sydney. During the school break he sets out for Sydney but ends up waylaid in the town of Bundanyabba, and his descent into a"hell" of his own making begins.

This is a powerful story, and packs an emotional wallop, a dark and sinister air pervades. The writing is visual and descriptive. You can see the heat haze coming off the land, feel the flies, the all pervasive dust
James
Heat, dust, thirst, hunger, desperation, descent, and despair. Wake in Fright evokes all these phenomena in uncomfortable detail, down to the eviscerated kangaroo.

Kenneth Cook here subjects Tiboonda schoolteacher John Grant to a personal hell (and Tiboonda in the Outback is already "a variation of hell") where—in largely straightforward prose reminiscent of Hemingway—Grant must contend with the harsh, unforgiving Australian landscape as he makes his increasingly miserable way towards Sydney, so
Kobe Bryant
cool eerie outback vibe
Text Publishing
‘It might be fifty years since the novel appeared yet it retains its freshness, its narrative still compels, and its bleak vision still disquiets.…Cook can make us feel the heat, see the endless horizon, hear the sad singing on a little train as it traverses the monotonous plain.’
Peter Temple, from the Introduction

‘Wake in Fright deserves its status as a modern classic. Cook’s prose is masterful and the story is gripping from the first page to the last.’
M. J. Hyland

‘A classic novel which became
notgettingenough
If Summer of the Seventeenth Doll the movie was compromised beyond salvation by its attempts to Americanise it, Wake in Fright not only survived its international production team, but became, by all account a fine film which did justice to the book. I'm looking forward to finding a copy of it. Apparently the rights were first bought with Dirk Bogarde in mind as the star - perfect! Although that didn't happen, one of my favourite English actors played the role of the doctor when the movie finally ...more
Dillwynia Peter
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this film from years ago. I can’t be sure if it wasn’t part of the Film Studies portion of my Year 10 English. Anyway, I remembered too much of the film, because as I read through this, I knew what was coming next and I wanted to scream at John Grant for not doing the stupid thing he was about to do.

Because this is exactly what you want to do. A young man, drunk, making really dumb decisions based on what he sees around him. Those early scenes are quite surreal and you are engaged in
Andrew Nette
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rural noir is big at the moment, if the interest in US writers like Donald Ray Pollock, Cormac McCarthy and Daniel Woodrell, is anything to go by.

But while it is not be as well known, Kenneth Cook’s 1961 novel Wake in Fight is as good as anything that’s come out of the southern US, a searing story of masculinity, drinking and violence in regional Australia that still packs a punch today.

Fear of being trapped in the outback, as we call the vast expanse of harsh terrain that makes up the majority
Text Publishing
Peter Temple, from the Introduction

‘A chilling outback horror and an Australian classic.’
Guardian, Top 10 tales from the frontier

Kimbofo
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reviews
Kenneth Cook’s Wake in Fright, first published in 1961, is a true Australian classic.

Billed as the first outback horror story, it brims with menace and suspense. In the introduction to this new Text Classics edition, Australian crime writer Peter Temple says it “probably set Australian tourism back at least twenty years” for the picture of outback life depicted here is a hellish and frightening one.

It tells the story of a young school teacher who travels to a rough outback mining town called Bun
Tez
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-swap
WARNINGS: Alcohol addiction, smoking addiction, drunk-driving, drunk-shooting, shooting and murders of kangaroos, attempted suicide, possible sexual assault, gambling... If I've forgotten anything, I'm sorry.

NOTE: The greyhound is never hurt and remains alive.
fourtriplezed
“Peculiar trait of the western people, thought Grant, that you could sleep with their wives, despoil their daughters, sponge on them, defraud them, do almost anything that would mean at least ostracism in normal society and they would barely seem to notice it. But refuse a drink with them and they immediately become your mortal enemy” A brilliant exaggeration of the fact by author Kenneth Cook.

Written in 1961 this short story is proof that the characterisation of the typical bush Australian alp
Philipp
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia, fiction
'Powerful' is probably the most apt word here.

He sat at his desk, wearily watching the children file out of the room, reflecting that, this term at least, it was reasonable to assume that none of the girls was pregnant.

John Grant, a very young man from Sydney just out of university, has to work in a remote town as a teacher for three years to pay off the university debt. He saves his money all year to fly back to Sydney, to civilization (=air conditioning, snooty people, unreachable pretty girls
Jana
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m so disturbed. I looked up from the last page to reorient myself. I guess a few hours break from the 2020 events into a 1961 horror filled Australian outback nightmare is a good thing. Right?

I tracked this book down thanks to a YouTube interview with Cate Blanchett wherein she credited the film version as having a huge effect on her. So much so that she tracked down the book. And highly recommended both. Cate is smart. I will do what Cate says.

Next up: the movie. Made in 1971 and rereleased
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Patrick Hamil...: Wake in Fright by Kenneth Cook 14 14 Jul 17, 2019 07:40AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine listings 3 17 Dec 26, 2017 12:54PM

• Sukkwan Island
  • What the Birds See
  • The Spill
  • A Working Stiff's Manifesto: A Memoir of Thirty Jobs I Quit, Nine That Fired Me, and Three I Can't Remember
  • The Animals in That Country
  • The Coconut Children
  • Running Wild
  • Drylands
  • My Brilliant Career
  • El buen padre (Moisés Guzmán, #1)
  • They're a Weird Mob
  • One Hundred Years of Dirt
  • Box Hill
Born 1929, died 1987. Kenneth Cook was a prolific Australian journalist, film director, screenwriter, TV personality and novelist. He is best known for his novel Wake in Fright, which became a modern classic and is still in print, and for his Killer Koala trilogy.

News & Interviews

“In the remote towns of the west there are few of the amenities of civilization; there is no sewerage, there are no hospitals, rarely a doctor; the food is dreary and flavourless from long carrying, the water is bad; electricity is for the few who can afford their own plant, roads are mostly non-existent; there are no theatres, no picture shows and few dance halls; and the people are saved from stark insanity by the one strong principle of progress that is ingrained for a thousand miles east, north, south and west of the Dead Heart - the beer is always cold.” 4 likes
“Peculiar trait of the western people, thought Grant, that you could sleep with their wives, despoil their daughters, sponge on them, defraud them, do almost anything that would mean at least ostracism in normal society, and they would barely seem to notice it. But refuse to drink with them and you immediately became a mortal enemy. What the hell? He didn’t even want to think about the west or its people and their peculiarities. Let them be. Once he was in Sydney, who knew, he might never come back.” 2 likes