Start by marking “Kat Kong” as Want to Read:
Kat Kong

Kat Kong

Doctor Varmint and his beautiful assistant, Rosie Rodent, have made--and captured--a stunning scientific discovery: the mighty Kat Kong. But when he breaks free from his shackles and tears through the streets of Mousopolis, there's no stopping his terrifying rampage. Is anyone clever enough to halt this massive meowing menace?
Published August 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1993)

Start your review of Kat Kong
Dan
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
A purrfectly pleasant tale of kitty dominance -- I am pawsitive that this is the best book about a giant cat I've read all year!

Amar Pai
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
You know this whole book was just an excuse to use this photo:

Ann
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ann by: Katie and Quasar!
Funny, creative book! Made up of pictures and drawings Pilkey takes the classic King Kong story and turns it into a children's book with cats and mice. Some of the puns are a "little cheesy" and the ending might upset sensitive young children (follows the King Kong vein to the end), but it's quite amusing and delightful pictures!:D
Kathryn
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Quasar (thanks!)
Good, silly fun! Tyler and I enjoyed reading this together, laughing at the absurd puns and hilarious pictures of the cat! He looks like our neighbor kitty, and I think Pandy has worn that expression a few times, too! :-p
Kaethe Douglas
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
February 9, 2015

You know, I'm kind of sorry that Pilkey has done so insanely well with his other books, because he hasn't made any more like this and Dogzilla, my favorites.

October 27, 2013

well done, loved the cat, the Possum got the jokes

September 3, 2008

Great book. We continue to love this book every time. to my delight (and her's), the PandaBat can go to the library every school day if she wants. This is what she brought home to read tonight.

July 10, 2006

Library copy
Mayda
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I admit it. I bought this book when my kids were young...but not for them. I fell hard for Kat Kong, and if you like cats - or old movies - you will, too. The humor abounds, even in the fine print that assures that no animals were harmed in the making of the book. The pictures are darling, and story is one that you'll enjoy time and again. There is a moral to be learned...not that MY cats ever have! Don't miss this picture book: Borrow a kid to read it to, if you're afraid to read it alone!
Becky
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: One dark and perilous night, three mouse explorers sailed toward a strange, uncharted island. Captain Charles Limburger steered the tiny vessel, while Doctor Vincent Varmint and his beautiful assistant, Rosie Rodent, looked on.

Premise/plot: Are you looking for a picture book to share with your children that's rated TS--Terribly Silly?! If you have, I'd recommend Dav Pilkey's Kat Kong. In this adventure, three mice capture a vicious monster from a strange island. They bring him
Ryan
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These book stand the test of time and I love them. Pilkey takes real pictures of his pet cat and his (i'm assuming) pet mice and creates a story. Then he fills in the illustration to round out the tale. It’s so unique, but also so much fun. And his wordplay and puns just ramp up the story.
Jenny Clark
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, dav-pilkey
A fun read, quick and simple like a kids book should be. The photos are quite funny.
Elizabeth
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this aloud to my son's fourth grade class. They were excited to hear it was written by the same author of Captain Underpants. It was funny and I really loved the real-life photos of Mr. Pilkey's pets that were featured among the illustrations.
Melanie
An adorable book by the author of Dogman and Captain Underpants with NO potty talk! I didn’t think it possible! Pilkey takes photos of his three pet mice and his cat to create a story based upon King Kong. Puns and cuteness galore!
Stacy
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hamster
You don't have to be a cat owner to enjoy this book, but it helps.
The kids LOVED it.
Mostly I just wondered how they got those cats to stay in those positions while they took pictures.
Thanks for the recommend, Amy.
Katherine
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The puns are FABULOUS (in that they are so bad they are amazing). A treasured yard-sale find.
Cheryl Gladfelter
Maybe I just read this at the right place, right time but I loved this silly story, all the puns, and the adorable mice and cat.
Michael Economy
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Kat Kong!

(view spoiler)
Steph (loves water)
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: me-my-son
The best! Laughed so hard through this book!
Tiffany Shafapay
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This fun and wild beginners children book will having readers laughing until the end. The author does a fun and abstract version of the classic story of King Kong but this time with cats and rodents being the predator and victims. The illustrations are funny to follow as the artist uses a combination of painted and drawn images while using reals animals to portray the cat and mice. The dun expressions of the wild Kat Kong will keep kids want to keep reading even if they are unfamiliar with the ...more
Jessie Drew
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wolfie-and-me
Tracy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best children's book ever written! Okay, maybe there's room for improvement. The writing could have been better suited to a broader audience. My kids age 1 to 12 all LOVED this book, but the story wasn't comprehensible for some of them. What we all were addicted to was the inventive and unusual illustrations. Think YouTube cat video made into an art collage.
Bruce
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The original King Kong film has been recast by the author with his pet mice and cat. He’s made some terribly silly collage illustrations. To these terribly silly pictures he has added some terribly silly text. LOL!!
Ann Santori
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silly and just adorable with the juxtaposition of the real photographs and computer graphics. This cat-lover does wish, however, that the story could have been changed to a happier ending for Kat Kong!
Josie
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I swear this is the best book I've ever read.
Katie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this, along with Dogzilla, to my students just for pure entertainment value. It's a laugh-out-loud selection!
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Funny way to use photographs of the cat and mice to tell the story of King Kong.
Erin Martin
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Funny pictures. Big words, unlike other Pilkey.
Kathy O
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
A fun book, for adults as much as kids
Meg
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, children
This book, written at an advanced-reader level, is BAE. OMG I laughed so hard.
toxxicduck
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short children's book is a work of art as well as being adorably funny. Must have for cat lovers.
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Declan
Shelves: kids-books
The same comments asDogzilla I am looking forward to this going back to the babysitter
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Dumb Bunnies (The Dumb Bunnies, #1)
  • The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon (Harold, #1)
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters
  • The X-Files: Earth Children are Weird
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • The Rough-Face Girl
  • Leo the Late Bloomer
  • The Dumb Bunnies' Easter (The Dumb Bunnies, #2)
  • The Evil Princess vs. the Brave Knight
  • The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

“Never trust anyone, Daniel, especially the people you admire. Those are the ones who will make you suffer the worst blows.” 4 likes