Start by marking “Everything We Miss” as Want to Read:
Everything We Miss

Everything We Miss

Have you ever wondered what goes on in your life when you're looking the other way? Perhaps you're so drawn into what's going on with you that you fail to notice the events taking place in your preiphery - or even right under your nose? In Everything We Miss, Luke Pearson explores the dying days of a failing relationship through the infinitesimal unseen moments tht surroun ...more
Published June 12th 2012 by Nobrow Press (first published June 20th 2011)

Start your review of Everything We Miss
Krista Regester
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A dark take on what happens while were not paying attention. I loved the author's creative illustrations.
David Schaafsma
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-psych
A beautifully packaged short tale in a small book format about the end of a relationship and the things that our young anti-hero contributes to that ending. A bleak tale, which may be about depression more than anything. Pearson is best known for Hilda kid comics and they are fun and amazingly well drawn. This story gives Pearson a kind of outlet for adult realism. In it he dwells on darkness, disease, death and other forms of d-doom in addition to the end of this relationship. The art is terrif ...more
Lauren
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A slightly eerie but beautifully told tale documenting the end of a relationship but also highlighting the small aspects of life we seemingly miss when our back is turned.

The term 'tunnel vision' springs to mind since Pearson depicts how a lot of our (potential) encounters in life occur just outside the periphery of our vision, and since we do not look around us nor observe our environment we miss out on weird and wonderful things, and other things that might just be the saving of us.

Having re
Sam Quixote
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
There are strange shadowy creatures that enter own heads and use us like puppets to say hurtful things to our loved ones. There are strange slug-like monsters that inhabit our houses causing people to doubt themselves and argue with one another. There are ghosts in every house and skeletal conjoined foetuses on the beach. Trees dance and magic happens every day when our backs are turned.

Luke Pearson’s second graphic novel is about primarily the final days of a relationship but also about the rea
Dov Zeller
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphics-comics
This is a beautiful, mournful little book. I enjoyed it and the art is great. The bleakness is, well, bleak. There is something in there, though, about not believing in your own demons in a way. There is a sense that right beyond the haunted self-absorption of the protagonist is a world of connection and perhaps a decent shave. Between a 3 and a 4.
Ott
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: koomiksid
This is so good! An exquisite mixture of verbal and pictorial prose (almost poetry, I would suggest) and weird phantasy. It just might be that I was in the perfect state for reading it or, and this is more likely, it is just that good! The only minus is that it is too damn short - more please!
Sonic
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic! Brilliant, original, and heart-felt, I love when I discover books like this...

Wow.

Callum McAllister
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The guy seemed like a bit of a douche really but aren't we all douches? Enjoyed basically everything about this.
Emilia P
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Aw, man. Again with the Ivan Brunetti (who I haven't read, but Lynda Barry talks about sometimes) influence. Also, emooooo romance junkkkk. But dude, so well done -- a man looking out the window misses his wife levitating in the air, split into 16 pieces, reassemble self and float back down into the bed -- Just think about the simplest and most breathtaking way that can be communicated. And he does it! So nice. Also -- one of the best/simplest/most effective representations of the ubiquitousness ...more
Kelly
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bleak and eye-opening. Thanks for sharing, Jason!
Amanda
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Devastating and moving. I also found a small glimpse of hope toward the end. It’s comforting to know we all feel the same feelings, deep down.
Arminzerella
Jeffrey
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Like pretty much everything from Nobrow Press, EWM is another argument in favor of the book as object. The book is more poem than story, despite various narrative threads that run through it, and Pearson's clear, well designed drawings fit perfectly.
Kelechi
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated graphic novel, but the narrative is what I enjoyed the most. So much happens in the side-lines of our lives that we tend to miss just because other issues seem a lot more important. I'm not going to over intellectualise the whole thing, just read it and smile.
Dustyloup
Deliciously dark!
Elna
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure what I expected...a a meditation on the slow death of a relationship? A quiet, affecting look at how things die slowly when you're not looking? Maybe was was promised in the book description?

Everything We Miss is shorter than it should be, and digresses too much from what it purports to be about. Technically, yes, it does "explore the final days of a dying relationship through the infinitesimal unseen moments that surround it," but these unseen moments that surround it are nonsensic
Jessica Brown
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I don't think I would have given this five stars were I not an anxiety and depression ridden, desperately-in-need-of-mental-health-help, sad girl. It's a bleak look at the unraveling of a relationship, but also a look at what happens all around us that goes unnoticed and slips by as we are consumed by the tiny little fraction of the world in which we live. This adult graphic novel is a culmination of everything I stress about daily, and the contemplations that made me fall in love with the study ...more
John
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
a very short book about, as the title suggests, everything that people miss--as in not notice or pay attention to, things we are unable to perceive, things we regret no longer having and missed connections or letters. Not at all a happy graphic novel, still a very strange and intriguing collection of miniature stories bookended with a sad lonely man driving in the dark at night for reasons he can't explain. I can see some of the ideas that Luke Pearson would end up using in his Hildafolk books f ...more
Elliott Edwards
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Not only is this about a failing relationship but also about what goes into it. Our expectations, our fears, our jealousy and our anxiety. At times very poetic and beautifully bizzare but other times a little bit too abstract where I'm not quite sure what the symbolism means (shadow in the bar clutching his head, giant at sea etc). The Omnipresent Anurid is such a fun idea for a creature but should have been introduced earlier in the book as a point of view.

This is a great proof of concept and
Chelsea Martinez
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I think this book is a bit too short. The relationship is important to the guy... but we never see why, even in flashback, we just have to trust the author. Visually I loved it: the orange white and black are a little halloweeny but tonally it was more like Goodnight Moon for depressed people (in a good way)
J
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1-graphic-novel
Very interesting premise but there's just no story here. Just a bit too dark depressing and seems to be trying too hard. Also I would typically expect this to be somewhat autobiographical and would worry about the author, though Luke's Hilda series is quite wonderful, stick with that.
Anita
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The concept that we miss so many things while we're focusing or looking at something else is really powerful and interesting. The art is very engaging and I really liked how the author used the panels to send you through this short graphic novel. Visually appealing and poignant in a simplistic way.
Charlie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this a lot. I felt like it reaches a bit too hard at certain points but over all did a really beautiful, albeit painfully real, job of expressing the complications of interpersonal relationships and all the things we seem to miss in life when consumed with other things.
Tanvir Muntasim
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
An elegy for what we miss out in life, and what life misses out in us. Full of longing and yearning for what we can never have or what we have lost, even with its brevity, the story packs quite an emotional gut punch. A short but memorable read.
Evan
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, graphic-novel
pretty. i started to hate the main character half-way through, but by the end i realized that's the whole point. we're all doomed to be oblivious assholes. not exactly uplifting, but the art is pretty and i can't say i disagree.
Swati
This is a masterpiece. It is a story of end of a relationship and perfectly capture the despair one feels. The art is superb with a limited colour palette the storytelling is even more impactful.
Combined with whimsical elements the story seems folk tale like, which adds to the surreal narrative.
Brian Beatty
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-borrow
Wow, that was amazing and depressing at the same time.
I loved it, even though it makes me sad and also obstinately hopeful that I can overcome some loneliness in my life...
Dichotomy Girl
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
I think this was bleakest, most depressing thing I've ever read. Mr. Pearson definitely has layers, because I can't believe this is the same author that wrote the Hilda Books.
Kristina Romero
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very sad depiction of what happens when a relationship fails and all of the things we overlook or miss out on in life in the meantime.
Retinotopy
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I cried.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Shortcomings
  • Rusty Brown
  • La vraie vie (Le retour à la terre, #1)
  • Les projets (Le retour à la terre, #2)
  • La casa
  • How To Be Happy
  • A Book of Light: When a Loved One Has a Different Mind
  • The Poison of Love
  • Amma: Jayalalithaa's Journey from Movie Star to Political Queen
  • Addicted to Unhappiness: How Hidden Motives for Unhappiness Keep You from Creating the Life You Truly Want, And What You Can Do
  • The Optimist: One Man's Search for the Brighter Side of Life
Luke Pearson is a comic book artist and illustrator, author of Hildafolk and Everything We Miss (published by Nobrow Press). Hildafolk, his first book for Nobrow Press, quickly gained him recognition as a leading proponent of the new wave of English cartoonists.

"Pearson’s whimsical artwork—a cross between Lucky Luke and Miyazaki—creates a magical spell of a mysterious world of hidden creatures, an

News & Interviews