Start by marking “Don't Pat the Wombat!” as Want to Read:
Don't Pat the Wombat!

Don't Pat the Wombat!

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Wormz, Nicko, and their friends fear that their experience at a school camp in the Australian bush will be ruined by the presence of the dreaded Mr. Cromwell as a substitute chaperon.
Published June 13th 2000 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Pat the Wombat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Pat the Wombat!

Samantha
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book.
It's way below my reading level now, but I still read it sometimes.
Livvy ♥
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
this was really funny when i read it in year 6 :)
RikkasaurusReads
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book when I was young. Recommended for young readers.
Emma
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Really funny, more for kids under 12! heart-warming as well as outspoken!
Richie Partington
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
6 January 2001 DON'T PAT THE WOMBAT by Elizabeth Honey, Knopf, June 2000

Last week we traveled to Yosemite for a few days. The kids wanted to play in thesnow, so each day we'd travel by shuttle bus up to Badger Pass. During the 40 minute rides up and down the mountain I read aloud this absolutely wonderful book, previously published in Australia where it won several awards. It will be released in paperback this summer.

DON'T PAT THE WOMBAT is the story of a boy named Jonah who moves from his famil
Luvlollies
Hi Readers off the future,
At school we had this book in the book club,
we weren't allowed to take them home but I took mine home my mum found it and told my teacher now they don't have the book any more!
Bad mum!!!
L8TR READERS OFF THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sally
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sally by: Andi
Shelves: camps
Andi mentioned Elizabeth Honey to me the other day when I was adding a bunch of childhood books to Goodreads, and I'd never heard of her... so she went and found this book in her room an lent it to me :D (And ended up re-reading it herself that night!) And I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. Oh my gosh, it brought back SO many memories of grade five camp and it's seriously something that every Australian who EVER went on a school camp needs to read :D It's just an absolute gem, kind of in the same vein as Pe ...more
Donna
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for its demographic, but loses a lot when read aloud. Best to be enjoyed as a solo pursuit
Julie
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I can see why primary schoolers love this book. It feels so genuine - the characters, dialogue and details all ring true. The author obviously knows primary school and kids of this age very well! I had a twinge of doubt about the inclusion of some of the grosser songs and rhymes - the parents of the few kids who don't already know these would probably not approve - but, again, they ring true. I knew them when I was a kid, and I suppose most kids know them now. Anyway, the story was fun, interest ...more
Steven
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
My year 6 students adored this book and it is easy to understand why. The characters feel genuine, the storyline is laugh-out-loud funny and there are more than a few "naughty" moments to engage the reluctant readers. As a teacher, I suggest you do a little reading ahead as there are some inappropriate moments, especially when reading aloud.
Gen
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
Used to love this book as a kid. It's about a grade 5 boy and his mates on their school camp. The combination of the words, cartoons, and photos make this a rather funny little book. Would recommend for maybe 9-12 year olds.
Dylan
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was quite interesting, especially the part where they're singing on the way to camp.I read this book a long time ago, so I can't really tell any of you readers that much about the book.
Heidi Mcjunkin
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book set in Australia.
******☠Ŗąνĕŋ☠******
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. Reading it to my younger sibling sister :)
Clara
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved this book - I read it in Grade 5 it was AWSOME!!! ---... There's a bear in there... on an electric chair ect. ...--- such a funny and great book
Olivia!!!!!!!## curly wurly
this is a really good book elizabeth honey is awsome i have met her once
Nat
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fromchildhood
Read to my kids, and just as brilliant as I remember from when I was a kid myself. Didn't feel dated in the slightest.
Lynn
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
It was the funniest book i've ever read!!!!!!!
Evelyn Romp
Hilarious!
Mary
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, real-life
An interesting camp story in the bush down under.
Sophie Lagerwey
Great book! The characters in this book have such personality. They remind me of a few kids in my grade 2 class from last year. Must recommend to them! :)
Rose
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't pat the wombat! by Elizabeth Honey (1996)
Max
Rajni Gopal
Oct 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Misery Guts
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • Unreal! (Uncollected)
  • Hunwick's Egg
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Galax-Arena
  • Make Your Words Work
  • A different sort of real : the diary of Charlotte McKenzie, Melbourne 1918-1919
  • Somewhere Around the Corner
  • Gracie Faltrain Gets It Right (Finally) (Gracie Faltrain, #3)
  • The Big Bazoohley
  • All in the Blue Unclouded Weather (The Melling Sisters, #1)
  • The Secret of Hanging Rock
  • Little Sister
  • Burning Eddy
  • Fern Gully
  • Just Macbeth
Elizabeth Honey was a weedy child who always seemed to have a sore throat, so her parents didn't send her to school until she was nearly seven. The Honeys lived on a farm in the bush near Wonthaggi, Victoria. There were four kids and Elizabeth was number three. With her younger sister Mary, Elizabeth puzzled over jigsaws, played with the dogs, climbed trees and one way or another did a lot of pret ...more
More about Elizabeth Honey...