Start by marking “Just Another Ordinary Day” as Want to Read:
Just Another Ordinary Day

Just Another Ordinary Day

Like most kids, Amanda gets dressed, goes to school, plays with friends, and eats dinner with her family. But don’t be fooled by this deceptively simple story—readers will soon find out that Amanda is no ordinary girl! Best-selling Australian artist Rod Clement has
created a wickedly funny picture book in which the artwork tells an extraordinary story of ‘just another
Published April 24th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Just Another Ordinary Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Another Ordinary Day

Start your review of Just Another Ordinary Day
Becky B
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!, Third Culture Kids
This is one of my favorite picture books. I've read it to 100s of kids in the library, and they love it too. I teach in an international school, so this book is a great segue to talk about how your idea of ordinary might very different from someone else's.
Gabriella
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book and found creativity in the way Clement kind of told two different stories at the same time. The text is a simple story that explains Amanda's ordinary day but the illustrations tell us a completely different story, they are extravagant and contradict and are anything but ordinary. I thought it was interesting how he was able to make the illustrations and text so different but still go along with each other, I have not seen that very often. I enjoyed the full bleed ...more
Nat
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just as original and creative as I remember from my childhood.
N
Cute story about how a kid imagines their day.
Diane
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, humor
One of the most outlandish days ever!
Almira
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a "hoot".
I used to read this at preschool story times, however, our system's copy has long since been deleted. I would love to have it back in our system...…..
Annie MacPherson
Good example of how illutration speaks independently from text.
Bree
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved that if you had just read the words of the book it would have sounded like any other normal day. It's in the beautiful art work on the pages that the normal day isn't quite that normal after all. The illustrations are really amazing and totally bring this children's book to life. I love all the aspects added to the book to make it just a bit different then a normal day for you and me. It shows kids that our normal isn't always the normal of everyone around us. It's important to know this ...more
Bix
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clement's wonderfully clever, funny picture book contrasts the story of Amanda's 'ordinary' day with large, fully colored illustrations sure to make young readers laugh out loud."

CIP: "Amanda's ordinary day has her riding to school with a Tyrannosaurus rex, having lunch with an alien, sailing a pirate ship at [the] library, and riding home on an elephant."

SLJ (Starred review): "A laconic text tells of frizzy-haired Amanda's ordinary day while hilarious illustrations belie every word."

Kirkus:
Jill Smith
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant picture book by Rod Clement and worthy of being short listed by The Children's Book Council of Australia.

I was at Somerset Literary Festival several years ago and joined a session where Rod Clement was explaining his writing to the children. He read whet his daughter had told him about having an ordinary day, and how he was planning to make it into a book.

The illustrations are truly magical. Her ordinary day is quite extraordinary!

This is another treasured reading book for
Kandice Buck
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
Amanda wakes up and goes through her "ordinary day". She wakes up, eats breakfast, goes to school, plays on the playground, and more. Every event she goes through during the day is full of imagination. Her alarm clock is a person striking a gong. When she eats breakfast she flies downstairs and eats a giant egg. A T-Rex drives her to school on her ordinary day. This book is full of adventure and shows how a child's imagination can make their day more enjoyable.
Alison Durbin
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and thought it had a lot of humor/silliness in it that children of all ages could enjoy! I thought the characters were clever: Mrs. Ellsworth (who was as old as a dinosaur), Mr. Wilson (scientist who was a fly), etc. The illustrations were also very well done, and I appreciated the attention to detail. This is a great book that I would love to add to my classroom library.
Heidi-Marie
I like the book overall. Fun, imaginitive ways an ordinary day might not be so. I think many children would enjoy the book. I like the pictures, too. It doesn't necessarily fit my UFO No Girls Allowed program, but still a possible read for some other future school-age storytime. I might skip the very last page though. I thought it didn't fit the rest of the book.
Casey
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and so did my students. The pictures are creative, colorful, and exciting. They made for some small discussion while reading the book. The story is about a girl and her ordinary day, but the pictures show unordinary events. I used it for a sequence of events lesson, and it worked very well. It is a book that definately catches the attention of young readers.
Tara
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Everything in this book is different than in a normal world. But to the main character of the story it is normal. This was a very cute book and since kids like dragons and lions for pets I would recommend this book.
Jackie
Just Another Ordinary Day as Amanda is taught by the science teacher who is an insect, driven to school by a dinosaur, and watched as the librarian made disrespectful students walk the plank. Tiring? Yes. Typical? No.
Stef Rozitis
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is so fun! Make sure you read the pictures though not just the words
Breana Fitzgerald
The words are telling an ordinary story, but the illustrations show how interesting her ordinary day actually is. Great for a quick fun read.
Roberta
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
silly read with fun pictures!
Laura Morrigan

Yes, I was reading picture books again today!
Karijean31
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute children's book!
Kim
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love to read this aloud without showing the pictures first. Great visualization practice!
Vanessa Woolverton
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Love the illustrations. Zander was smiling the whole time we were reading.
Missmoop
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My dad ALWAYS Read this to me as a baby and i REALLY Love it!!!!!!! it is a book that i almost know by heart and cherish it with some of my favorite memories!!!!
Marcia
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: grades1-3
One girl's day is anything but ordinary in this imaginative picture book. Lots of laughs and a hit with the second grade.
Linda Ulleseit
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-picture-books
Wonderful for teaching visualization in my upper grade classroom!
Megan Sutherland
A humorous book for children to read about Amanda's "ordinary" day. Good book for imagination and comparing.
Elizabeth Butner
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Very whimsical story. Good mentor text about not judging a book by its cover. The title is "Just Another Ordinary Day" but the contents of the book describe a very non typical day.
Marshmallowlemonade
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Text is ordinary. Illustrations are extraordinary.
Emily Peery
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved how imaginative this book was! Students would have a fun time coming up with their own "ordinary days" and drawing pictures. I liked that the text was saying one thing, but the illustrations told another story. Picture book

• In the Night Kitchen
  • The Arrival
  • Tuesday
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Honey & Leon Take the High Road
  • Charlotte the Scientist Finds a Cure
  • Chicken Talk
  • Rude Mule
  • Janine and the Field Day Finish
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown