Start by marking “Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)

Insomnia

(The Night Walkers #1)

Her eyes saved his life.
Her dreams released his darkness.

After four years of sleeplessness, high school junior Parker Chipp can't take much more. Every night, instead of sleeping, he enters the dreams of the last person he's made eye contact with. If he doesn't sleep soon, Parker will die.

Then he meets Mia. Her dreams, calm and beautifully uncomplicated, allow him blissf
Published June 8th 2013 by Flux (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Insomnia, please sign up.

Start your review of Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
J.R. Johansson
May 10, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book is unexpectedly creeptastic. It even surprised me, and I wrote it. I can also say with complete bias, that even after reading it approximately 1,247,463 times, I still like it.

That has to mean something, right?

You should read it and let me know. :)
Brandi
Apr 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody

1.5 Stars

The story is about Parker, who hasn't actually slept in 4 years, and is an invisible bystander to the dreams of the last person he made eye contact with. As things get progressively worse he can only trust his best friend, and his friend's sister, to help him uncover what is wrong with him, and help the girl that he found out he can sleep with (har har).

For such a wholly original idea (to me anyway), this book sure wasn't anything special. I mean, watching the dreams of the las
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Wow, I don't quite know what to say. I'm not sure what I think of this one, actually. Surreal, scary, unreal; it's like looking at a René Magritte painting. This book just wreaks havoc with my head. It features an unreliable narrator, and that's what took me for a spin. It was well-written, but there were problems with the plot that could have been solved by a few easy steps. I liked it, but I'm not sure if I loved it.

The concept is interesting and original, the execution is somewhat flawed. It
Rose
Initial reaction: I wasn't that impressed with "Insomnia," despite some pretty awesome aspects that were peppered into the story. My primary problem was the protagonist Parker - usually I don't mind unreliable narrators if I can sympathize/empathize with them, but Parker irritated me more times than not. The writing in this didn't really support the storyline that well either, having one too many holes and some expansions that were difficult to buy for me. And I couldn't get the Al Pacino/Robin ...more
Steph Sinclair
OMG! I love this cover. Super creepy. I approve! I can't wait to read this!
Faye, la Patata
Thank you Flux and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for a review. This generous act did not influence my review in any way.

As a person who oftentimes finds herself still awake in the wee hours of the morning, and as someone truly fascinated in the subject of sleep deprivation (having experienced it in my university life once or twice, ahem), it comes as a no wonder that the moment I saw Insomnia by J.R. Johansson on NetGalley, I felt that I just had to have it. Entering the dreams o
Zuleeza
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 star.

In the barren wasteland of YA (I seriously cannot stand this new wave of New Adult books), this was truly awesome, guys. If only the ending is not so anti-climatic...

As usual, with amazing books, I don't really have much to say but I'll try anyway since I need to convince you to read this!

The book opens up strong, I was quickly thrown into the harsh reality of Parker's world. He couldn't sleep for four years, instead, at night he is forced to watch the dreams of the last p
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

DNF Mini review.

There are people who genuinely enjoyed this book. Then there are the few that disliked this to a large extent- one of them being me. The only shining point in this novel was the idea. But look no further as the execution was illogical and far-fetched, also, in no way, shape or form I could relate to the main character. Calling Insomnia a disappointment does not even begin to cover my emotions right now.

Insomnia opens to a illustrative beginni
Wendy Darling
Hm. I'm not sure about this rating yet; the book started out pretty strong, but after awhile, there were too many logic gaps and convoluted scenarios. It's disappointing to find that what was an interesting psychological thriller (which I thought would have an extremely unusual answer to its mystery) turned out to be a pretty typical, and predictable, thriller after all.

Review to come.
hayden
May 09, 2012 marked it as to-read
This sounds very interesting, like something Lisa McMann would write. Hopefully, it's just as good!
Mauoijenn
Interesting plot.
But nope.
Sarah Marie
Insomnia by J.R. Johansson

First in The Night Walkers series

Parker hasn’t slept in four years and after a trip a doctor he starts to suspect that he’ll die soon from lack of it. Instead of sleeping, Parker enters the dreams of the last person he’s had eye contact with. Parker’s tired. Exhausted to the point of death and dealing with other people’s haunting dreams and nightmares, Parker just wants sleep. If he doesn’t sleep he could face psychosis or even death. Then he meets Mia. A stra

eileen
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Check out more of my reviews at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***!

I have one word to describe Insomnia: addicting. We have a fresh idea incorporated with flawless execution, and I couldn't get enough of JR Johansson's debut.

The dominant topic here is both exhilarating and unlike any other. Parker has a special ability to experience the dreams of the last person they made eye contact with. The only catch is that he doesn't get any real sleep because his brain is active during all of the dream
Kenya Wright
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So. . .

I wasn't too keen on opening this book. There wasn't a big muscular half naked guy mounting a captivating woman so from the very start I was a bit bored, before I even opened the book.

So I read the first line:

It'd been over four years since I'd really slept, and I suspected it was killing me.

ummmm okay. I'm interested. I'm overjoyed. I decide to read more.

Meet Parker. He hasn't slept in a long time, dude. Why? Because he has a special power that deals with dreams. I don't want to give t
Renee Collins
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A tip for readers of Insomnia: Clear your schedules before beginning this book. DO NOT start reading just before bed if you have to get up early the next morning. And use caution when reading during class or at work.

Guys, this book will grab you and not let go.

J.R. Johansson weaves a story that gets right into your head. It's smart, creepy, chilling, vivid, and exciting. I was truly kept guessing until the end. In fact, I can't wait to read it again and see what I missed!
Carmen
May 01, 2012 marked it as to-read
This sounds like Wake by Lisa McMann... hmm, interesting.
Alyssa

Publication Date: June 8, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

It’s been four years since I slept, and I suspect it is killing me.

Instead of sleeping, Parker Chipp enters the dream of the last person he’s had eye contact with. He spends his nights crushed by other people’s fear and pain, by their disturbing secrets—and Parker can never hav
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
Every night Parker has other people's dreams and it's slowly killing him. It has been years since he's gotten any rest, until he meets Mia. That night, Parker is able to rest for the first time. After that, Parker becomes obsessive and tries to makes sure that Mia is the last person he locks eyes with in the day. Instead, Mia becomes fearful of Parker and thinks he's a creepy stalker. Things get even worse when she begins to
Debbie Narh
Insomnia is a creative story that most people wished were true. Hell, I wish I could be a Night Walker and know what some people dream about! That sounds pretty cool, right? Right? Anyway, the story follows Parker, who has been dealing with this gift/curse for four years now without sleeping a wink until he meets Mia who changes his life forever. The story starts out with a little too much information before most of the characters or past events are introduced. And speaking of the characters, on ...more
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Insomnia was a compelling read in such a manner that I couldn't put down the book. It was gripping and interesting, and I just wanted to read the book as fast as I could because I just had to know what is happening.

This book is memorable for me because this is one of my first mystery books aside from Nancy Drew and others from my childhood. Though I'm not really open to any other genres aside from Contemporary Romance, this book caught my attention and I am really happy that I decided to read i
Colleen Houck
Creepy dreams, stalkers, and a great hero with lots of problems. Poor guy! I was on the edge of my seat and feeling a bit crazy like I hadn't slept in a week either. The sweet painting/landscape dreams were as relaxing for me as they were for him. Love the love interest in this book too. She's awesome.
Deniz
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5Stars

Oh this book was so so close to 5 stars for me. It's in so many parts so brilliant. But somehow I felt a bit let down by the solutions at the end. And when I started thinking about this, somehow several issues kept creeping up... hence I rounded it down. Still a really great book.

The idea behind it all? Absolutely brilliant! I might be a wee bit biased though, because I have problems sleeping. Which is actually one of the reasons the book drew my interest. In on of my insomnia spouts I s
Nikki
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Parker Chipp hasn't slept in four years - at least, his mind hasn't. When he was 12, instead of falling asleep and dreaming his own dreams, his mind started entering the dreams of the last person he made eye contact with. He hasn't gotten any rest since then: His mind is fully conscious while "Watching" others' dreams, even if his body isn't. And after four years of this, being a Watcher is taking its toll on Parker. It's just a matter of time before his body succumbs to his extreme exhaustion - ...more
C.G. Drews
To put it simply: INSOMNIA is creepy and delicious (emphasis on the creepy). If the cover isn’t enough to make a bookworm’s heart beat, the storyline will keep you up late into the night. (It’s called insomnia, after all.)

I’ve had this book marked on my To-Read shelf on Goodreads for a looooong time. I watched the pre-release build up! I counted down the days!! And then finally, finally, I had my hands on the creeptastic cover and could devour it. I found it a fairly quick read, though it IS 330
Stephanie
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review and others are posted at Read, Rinse, Repeat.

The story of Insomnia is one of the more unique I've come across. Parker is haunted by other people's nightmares. Each night, he enters into the dream (or nightmare) of the last person he saw that day. He fears being viewed as crazy, so Parker keeps his ability hidden, even as his physical and mental well-beings deteriorate.

Everything changes the day he meets Mia. That night, for the first time in four years, Parker is able to fully sl
Trisha
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This one is tough to review. It's twisted and scary and different from anything I've read lately.

On one hand, I loved it. I've had insomnia on and off for my whole life. I seem to go in spurts of sleeping normal and then sleeping horribly - so bad that each day can have a dream-like fuzziness about it that makes it seem almost 'not real.' It's awful and it sucks. On the flip side, I don't dream. And, on the extremely rare occasion that I do dream, it's always a bad dream.

So, I can understand Par
Abstractelf
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-in-series
Oh. My. God. That's the simplest way to summarize this book.

I have to admit, at the beginning I thought, this will another disappointment but as I read on, it became creepier, darker and more twisted, and I always asked myself: What's going on here?

The author played a really good mind game with me til the end of the book which was awesome! Okay, I felt like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown but nevermind that part. It was totally worth it.

At the beginning I didn't really like Parker, mostly bec
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
At least the stalking wasn't romanticized? (At least I don't think so, but there was quite some blurred fine lines) It was straight up creepy at quite a few points.
The ending was really random tho.
It was a crazy wild ride that I am still freaked out over.
Also there is a lot of narration on rape culture, and I'm not sure if it was done consciously or unconsciously.
The male mc pov was not what I'm usually used to reading when it comes to YA and it seems to be a hit or miss. This was somewhat in th
P๏€cɨℓią* ~SLiTsRead
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it!!
The idea was quite original and the story flows. I got easily sucked into the story and was able to finish it in one sitting. The male POV reminded me of another YA novel, Anna Dressed in Blood. If you liked that one, you'd probably loved this one too. Pacing wise I actually prefer this one over that. There was never a dull moment, and nothing felt too drawn out.
There was just one thing I didn't like......who the villain was. It felt a little out of the blue. Hmmm really? Him?
Other
Kathy
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! There were a lot of things about this book that could have gone in the direction of every other story out there, but never did. Everything about the plot was different. I did guess the ending, but my husband thinks that's my super power. However, despite knowing the end, I loved every second of this book. Jenn kept me guessing at many other things, and she did succeed at making me question my ending guess several times.

I could not put this book down. I read it in one sitting. Writers
Insomnia J.R. Johansson 1 1 Mar 07, 2019 10:44AM
Book Report - Leslie Moreno 1 1 Mar 12, 2018 07:32PM
Cure insomnia with the help of zopiclone 1 6 Apr 08, 2015 05:19AM
FYA Book Club of ...: August 2013 Read- Insomnia Discussion 1 11 Aug 31, 2013 03:43PM

• Mania
  • Mr. Monster (John Cleaver, #2)
  • El Principito
  • The Ghost of Ohio
  • Firelight (Firelight, #1)
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
  • Hidden (Firelight, #3)
  • Asylum (Asylum, #1)
  • Vanish (Firelight, #2)
  • I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3)
  • Los Vecinos Mueren en las Novelas
  • Memorias de un Engaño (Lesath, #1)
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • The Warden (Asylum, #3.5)
  • The Stranger Game
  • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)
  • Poison
J.R. JOHANSSON is the author of the Night Walkers Series (INSOMNIA, PARANOIA and MANIA) as well as standalone novels, CUT ME FREE and THE ROW. Her books have been published in over a dozen languages and more than twenty countries worldwide. She has a B.S. degree in public relations and a background in marketing. She credits her abnormal psychology minor with inspiring many of her characters. She l ...more

The Night Walkers (3 books)
  • Paranoia (The Night Walkers, #2)
  • Mania (The Night Walkers, #3)