Start by marking “Uncivilisation: The Dark Mountain Manifesto” as Want to Read:
Uncivilisation: The Dark Mountain Manifesto

Uncivilisation: The Dark Mountain Manifesto

“That civilisations fall, sooner or later, is as much a law of history as gravity is a law of physics. What remains after the fall is a wild mixture of cultural debris, confused and angry people whose certainties have betrayed them, and those forces which were always there, deeper than the foundations of the city walls: the desire to survive and the desire for meaning.”

‘Un
Published 2009

To ask other readers questions about Uncivilisation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncivilisation

Start your review of Uncivilisation: The Dark Mountain Manifesto
Dave Schaafsma
A group of people are meeting on my university campus to discuss an area they are calling Political Geographies. I learned one of the things they are reading is this manifesto, the main authors of which are Paul Kingsnorth and Dougald Hine, from England. It's short, a slim volume, though you can also read it online, right here, and then connect to their website and related issues.

I got it and read it right away. Context: I am an older reader of eco-terrori
Alex Sarll
Was there ever a trickier art form to pull off than the manifesto? If you're lucky, a few phrases will become the cliches of three generations hence. Read as a whole, though...invariably, your first readers will be the people who've already bought what you're selling, while the masses who need it are not the sort to read a manifesto. And you can't strike the necessary bold pose if you hedge every statement with caveats - but if you don't, inevitably you leave holes in the argument at which even ...more
Ted
Feb 09, 2016 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Ted by: David Schaafsma
I "have" the book via the link given in David's review. ...more
ATG
Oct 05, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2015, 2016
Uncivilisation: The Dark Mountain Manifesto is a plea for a conscious re-rendering of the world through stories, the primacy of which almost nobody acknowledges. Or realizes. The thesis runs that our modes and habits are products of stories we tell ourselves, and of course, this is clearly true. We buy green products because we experience guilt over burgeoning ecological woes. We shop locally if we can, for who wants kiwifruit in January if it has to be carried many thousands of miles? We vote. ...more
Shannon Finck
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
"We do not believe that everything will be fine. We are not even sure, based on current definitions of progress and improvement, that we want it to be." ...more
Jessica
This pamphlet started to pop up in many of my bookshelf recommendations, so I ordered it from the UK because it wasn't available on Amazon or from my local library.

As someone who is familiar with a broad cross-section of environmental literature, the ideas put forward in this manifesto were not that shocking or groundbreaking, and the authors seem to be rather west-centric. But the idea behind the movement is interesting, and I would be willing to delve further into Dark Mountain literature.
John Wright
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Dark Mountain Project (a website, a print journal, a movement) led me to this manifest. I did not write it, but it speaks to me as though I did. This is the manifesto for those of us who have stopped believing in the myth of "progress". This is for those of us who want to sit outside the bubble of civilization and comment upon what we see happening there. ...more
Charly Ray
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Inspired and inspiring. I give this book away regularly. A contemporary manifesto calling all to the frontlines of social change in service of our collective soul. We proudly sell this at our bookstore- Honest Dog Books - the only retail source in North America.
Samuel Peck
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don't agree with everything, but certainly thought-provoking. ...more
Emma Filtness
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully-written, resonant manifesto. An important call to writers for Uncivilised writing to counter the myth of civilisation and human centrality. Truly inspiring.
Withmanyroots
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
I am 10 years late to this party - but I found the narrative and guidelines I have been looking for.
Silvio
Incredible, how this project found me at exactly the right time, this time where all doors of my heart were fully open for these words to come in, attach their wings and fly out into the world.
Christopher Cockrum
Some good points. Some... meh. However, if the author was a true believer, shouldn't I have not heard of this? ...more
Anna
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Reseña: http://theamericanbeat.wordpress.com/...

Aunque la idea me parece genial y lo empecé a leer porque estoy muy interesada en estos temas, me ha parecido bastante vacío de contenidos con demasiados florituras.
Leif
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Manifestos are noisy things. This one is competing with the furor of modern life, resisting transformation. Read it.
Iryna
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quite an interesting concept. Even if you don't fully agree- it makes you think and that, alone, is a great accomplishment. Definitively worth a read through.
Amy
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Paul Kingsnorth is essential reading for the Anthropocene.
Brendan M.
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a big, big fan of this slim volume.
Zach Bain

• The Crisis of Parliamentary Democracy
  • The Transgender-Industrial Complex
  • JinjerZilla
  • Sayings of the Spartans
  • Vallankumous ja sen toteuttaminen modernissa yhteiskunnassa
  • Ruskin
  • The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • Canto jo i la muntanya balla
  • Apeirogon
Paul Kingsnorth is an English writer and thinker. He is a former deputy-editor of The Ecologist and a co-founder of the Dark Mountain Project. He lives in the west of Ireland.

He studied modern history at Oxford University, where he was also heavily involved in the road protest movement of the early 1990s.

After graduating, Paul spent two months in Indonesia working on conservation projects in Borne

News & Interviews

“THE EIGHT PRINCIPLES OF UNCIVILISATION

1. We live in a time of social, economic and ecological unravelling. All around us are signs that our whole way of living is already passing into history. We will face this reality honestly and learn how to live with it.

2. We reject the faith which holds that the converging crises of our times can be reduced to a set of ‘problems’ in need of technological or political ‘solutions’.

3. We believe that the roots of these crises lie in the stories we have been telling ourselves. We intend to challenge the stories which underpin our civilisation: the myth of progress, the myth of human centrality, and the myth of our separation from ‘nature’. These myths are more dangerous for the fact that we have forgotten they are myths.

4. We will reassert the role of storytelling as more than mere entertainment. It is through stories that we weave reality.

5. Humans are not the point and purpose of the planet. Our art will begin with the attempt to step outside the human bubble. By careful attention, we will reengage with the non-human world.

6. We will celebrate writing and art which is grounded in a sense of place and of time. Our literature has been dominated for too long by those who inhabit the cosmopolitan citadels.

7. We will not lose ourselves in the elaboration of theories or ideologies. Our words will be elemental. We write with dirt under our fingernails.

8. The end of the world as we know it is not the end of the world full stop. Together, we will find the hope beyond hope, the paths which lead to the unknown world ahead of us.”
2 likes
“[W]e go carefully, for cartography itself is not a neutral activity. The drawing of maps is full of colonial echoes. The civilised eye seeks to view the world from above, as something we can stand over and survey. The Uncivilised writer knows the world is, rather, something we are enmeshed in – a patchwork and a framework of places, experiences, sights, smells, sounds. Maps can lead, but can also mislead. Our maps must be the kind sketched in the dust with a stick, washed away by the next rain. They can be read only by those who ask to see them, and they cannot be bought.” 0 likes