Start by marking “Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)

Copycat Killing

(Magical Cats Mystery #3)

Everyone thinks their cats are special—but Owen and Hercules have powers that go far beyond an adorable look or an irresistible purr. Along with their owner, librarian Kathleen Paulson, they have an uncanny instinct for solving crimes...

It's been raining cats and dogs in Mayville Heights. The small town's been deluged, and now the local artists' co-op is on the verge of fl
Published May 1st 2012 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Copycat Killing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Copycat Killing

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved it.
Yes, it kept the annoying stuff. Yes, Kathleen goes a bit crazy with poking her nose in police business. Yes, she still wants to teach Marcus how to do his job. And everyone is nice! But, in the case of this book, I do not care at all.

Copycat Killing has more than one mystery to be solved. Most of it has roots in something that happened a very long time ago. I'm being vague because I don't want to spoil anything. The past and the truth can't stay hidden as the inhabitants of this sma
Glen
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, cozies, mystery
It's raining in Mayville Heights, the resulting mudslides uncover a body, who could be the pater of one of the sleuth's good friends. Then an artist who makes avant garde masks is killed.

Kathleen investigates, the super cop spins his wheels, and things turn out the way they should. WEll contsructed mystery.
Andree
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Still continuing to enjoy the heck out of this series. The magical cats are just fun, I love Kathleen's two main female friends, Maggie and Rona, and I'm enjoying the slow burn that is the romance. Plus just in general the secondary characters are great. I love the town.

The one problem with setting a mystery series in a small town though, is the fact that already a fair number of the tertiary characters (recurring, but not significant), have been either suspected or convicted of murder (or both
Lyn
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first Sofie Kelly mystery I've read and I will definitely read more of hers. The setting is a small town in Minnesota, which seems to be a popular locale for cozy mysteries. Who knows why? '-) Anyway the spring storms have filled the basement of the community art co-op and everyone is trying to deal with the local flooding. Our heroine, the librarian Kathleen, is also involved in caring for a colony of feral cats that have been housed in an old house outside of town. In the course of ...more
terpkristin
Audiobook from Random House Audio
Narrated by Cassandra Campbell
Length: 9.75 hours

I don't have a lot to say about Copycat Killing that I didn't say about Curiosity Thrilled the Cat or Sleight of Paw. This was another "Magical Cats" mystery, complete with librarian Kathleen Paulson, her cats with seemingly magical abilities, Owen and Hercules, and her friends living in small-town Minnesota. This time around, there were two murders in the town: a local artist was murdered, and it turns out that the
Sam
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
A fun addition to the series, loving the Hercules/Owen page-time as usual and I'm excited to see the Kathleen/Marcus romance progress.

I had to knock off two stars due to a few annoyances that were too glaring to ignore:

1. How many times did we need to have yet another Mayville resident ask Kathleen how her head felt/tell her that her forehead wound looked painful? It felt unnecessarily repetitive. Too real-life, not enough narrative discretion.

2. How many Mayville denizens will be left standin
Lee Roberts
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
A lot more coffee than the previous story but a little less pastry. Lots of coincidences happen to solve a couple of murders, one old and one recent. It seems that Kathleen Paulson has one of those jobs where you rarely have to actually do any work, so she spends her time having conversations with everyone in town. And for some reason, they all feel a need to confide in her their darkest secrets. Her two magical cats play a small part in finding some clues along the way. Good story if you like c ...more
Vicky Marie
If Kathleen can stop bringing up the fact Marcus doesn't have a library card that would be great. It isn't funny, it just makes her sound like a snob. Also, she should stop whining about him doing his job. Some people might think her protectiveness toward her friends is endearing, but to me it makes her stubbornness obvious. I just want her to treat Marcus better.
chrisa
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
-------- There are some spoilers in this review, read with care!-------------------

I really enjoyed the third book in the Magical Cats Mystery Series. :)

In particular I enjoyed the two-part mystery that was going on as well as all the little mysteries that were included.

I absolutely loved that Kathleen is making an attempt to reconcile that when Marcus is a cop, he is a cop and he has to approach suspects as a cop, not as their friend. It was nice to see two people who are approaching beginnin
LORI CASWELL
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Welcome back to Mayville Heights! I hope you brought your umbrella, boots and a rain slicker. It's been "raining cats and dogs" for days. There is flooding all over town. The local artists' co-op has a basement full of water and our favorite librarian Kathleen is helping her friends move their work to higher ground in case the water continues to rise.

All the artwork is saved but one artist isn't as lucky. Mask maker Jaeger Merrill is found drowned in the basement. The death doesn't look accident
Katie
I'm knocking off a star because this got too complicated at the end. I was ready for it to be over. (view spoiler)

But I am still enjoying the series. I can't decide if I like the pace of the relationship or not. I think it'll depend on how it goes from here.
Betsy
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Copycat Killing by Sofie Kelly is another fantastic read. Highly recommended series. 4 stars
Meg McGregor
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great mystery! Even though I had already figured out who killed Roma's birth father, I couldn't discern who had killed Jaeger! That's right! Two murders for the price of one!

Kathleen is such a warm and genuine person; I am very happy for her that she has finally found someone who can challenge her, irritate her, and be totally charming at the same time! Marcus Gordon and she are purrrrfect together!

I am also so glad that Hercules and Owen were featured more and that their detective abilit
Karen
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
When is a librarian more than a cataloger of books and periodicals? When that librarian is Kathleen Paulson, interim head librarian of Mayville Heights, Mn. Since moving to Mayville to assist in the restoration of the their beloved Carnegie library, she adopted 2, seemingly magical cats, a number of great friends and found 3 dead bodies.

It's been raining cats and dogs (pun intended) in Mayville Heights. Now the local artists' co-op is on the verge of flooding. Kathleen has been up all night help
Kathy
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
So far I am liking this series of a librarian and her to supernatural cats. In this third book, the town is in the midst of a very rainy time, and several businesses are closed due to flooding in the streets. The artist co-op has at least four feet of water in the basement, and Maggie is surprised to see a body floating in it, when she goes to check the water level. The bones of another old body are found at Wisteria Hall when a cliff dislodges when Kathleen stands on its very muddy overhang. AS ...more
KarenF
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, own, mystery
The cats really are adorable (and magical) in this series. I like the setting and Kathleen's group of friends and neighbors. The romance is making some progress but I always expect that to be the case over a number of books in a cozy series.
Bernadine Sydow
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yvonne
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mayville Heights is having major rain storms causing a huge flood in the small town’s local artists’ co-op. Librarian Kathleen Paulson is desperately trying to help her friends save their art work from being destroyed by all the water. She’s more than a little stunned when she discovers the body of one of the artists floating in the basement. The questions begin starting with why was he down there in the first place.

Kathleen stumbles upon a few clues that make her think the artist’s death is mor
Kathleen Dixon
This book is a fun, light read with a quirk. The quirk is the two cats that belong to Kathleen - one can appear and disappear at will and the other can walk through walls, literally. They also understand everything Kathleen says to them and the book is full of very humorous 'conversations'.

I got this out of the library because I needed to find a book with my name in the title, author, or key character, and title and author searches didn't find me anything that appealed. Then this came up so I de
Candace Davidson
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the magical cat series.They are two murders one from the past and one in the present. Both Owen and Hercules are as cute and helpful as they have been in the first two books. There's some questions that are answered that were left from the 2nd book.
Patty P
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
If Kat says "i'm ok" one more time when she gets hurt & it's obvious she's NOT i'm going to stop reading the series all together. Why can she just admit she's hurt & it hurts? Her stupid stubbornness is really getting to my.
Melissa
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another solid entry in the cozy mystery series, Magical Cats. Kathleen, town librarian, and her two cats Owen and Hercules get to solve two mysteries. What's special about these mysteries? The cats, of course. Owen and Hercules understand English (Kathleen has entire conversations with them and they help find clues - more directly than Koko and YumYum from the Cat Who series) and they have magical powers (walking thru walls and doors and disappearing/re-appearing). There's the normal cozy cast o ...more
Joni
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rain, rain, and more rain wrecks havoc with the town of Mayville Heights. The rain also brings unexpected mystery. Kathleen, head librarian, falls down a slippery slope while feeding feral cats at an abandoned mansion and uncovers someone (yes you read that correctly). When she helps her friend Maggie move work in the town's art co-op Kathleen finds more than she bargained for in the water in the basement. Are these two incidents related or just bad timing?

Kathleen and her close friends Roma and
Knight
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming series; I love the magical cats. Kathleen's "conversations" with them are very funny. Wet soggy spring in Mayville Heights, with lots of local flooding. (view spoiler) ...more
Rachel
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
E
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hercules & Owen continue to delight me, as does Kathleen referring to their "little kitty brain" at times because I do the same to the cat I live with.

Maybe because I'm a sucker for protective/helping people, but I may have enjoyed this one the most. I love Rebecca & Everett, learning about the Ladies' Knitting Circle and the history of Mayville Heights. Kathleen actually working with Marcus as they both approach the mystery from their own preferred angles as a nice change than her putti
Denae Christine
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reader thoughts: Flooding, a drowning, and two cat sleuths!

I love the small-town-ness of these books. I think I read the books more to read about happy, helpful people (and adorable kitties!) than I do for the mysteries.

Writer thoughts: Authors do well when they have more than one reason for any plot point. Kelly used the flooding in her book in several ways.
1, it shut down the library to let Kathleen have more time for investigating.
2, it gave a setting for a drowning.
3, it put the town in mild
Lacie Fitts
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love This Series

This series is amazing! I love Sofie Kelly's writing style. I feel as though I am right there in Mayville Heights solving crimes with Kathleen and Hercules and Owen. The cats magical powers are subtle and not over the top. If you are a cat lover these are all things cat lovers are familiar with. I also like the delicate touch she took to the romance. Highly recommend.
Rosemary
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I like the Magical Cats characters, but did not like this entry in the series as much as the first two. I think there are a few of reasons: too many plotlines, too much romance, and not enough Hercules and Owen (the Magical Cats). I'm not ready to abandon the series yet, but my enthusiasm is dimmed a bit.
Sherry
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely storyline

This series is a good gentle low stress read. I really enjoy how the author treats the behavior of the cats. The small town vibe is realistic but who would have time for all the cooking or money on a librarian's salary. Most small town libraries have very limited funding as well. But this is fiction and good fiction.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Book #5: Copycat Killing 1 2 Jan 26, 2013 11:22AM
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • The Whole Cat and Caboodle (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #1)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • How to Moon a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #3)
  • Cat Telling Tales (Joe Grey, #17)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #1)
  • Let Them Eat Stake (Vampire Chef, #2)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
Sofie Kelly is the pseudonym of young adult writer and mixed-media artist, Darlene Ryan. Sofie/Darlene lives on the east coast with her husband and daughter. In her spare time she practices Wu style tai chi and likes to prowl around thrift stores. And she admits to having a small crush on Matt Lauer.

She also writes as Sofie Ryan.

Magical Cats Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery, #1)
  • Sleight of Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #2)
  • Cat Trick (A Magical Cats Mystery, #4)
  • Final Catcall (A Magical Cats Mystery, #5)
  • A Midwinter's Tail (A Magical Cats Mystery, #6)
  • Faux Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #7)
  • Paws and Effect (A Magical Cats Mystery, #8)
  • A Tale of Two Kitties (A Magical Cats Mystery, #9)
  • The Cats Came Back (A Magical Cats Mystery #10)
  • A Night's Tail (Magical Cats Book 11)
“Then I laughed because here I was having a conversation with a cat about having a conversation with a cat.” 1 likes