Start by marking “Republican Like Me: Infiltrating Red-state, White-ass, And Blue-suit America” as Want to Read:
Republican Like Me: Infiltrating Red-state, White-ass, And Blue-suit America

Republican Like Me: Infiltrating Red-state, White-ass, And Blue-suit America

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
When the red states trumped the blue states in the 2004 presidential election, many Democrats were left wondering just what makes the conservative mindset tick. Wonder no more. Join self-described "infiltration journalist" Harmon Leon as he goes undercover to explore what being conservative really means.
A flaming liberal in real life, Leon has been called "a cross between
Published November 7th 2005 by Prometheus Books

To ask other readers questions about Republican Like Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Republican Like Me

Vince Darcangelo

This review originally appeared in the BOULDER WEEKLY

Behind Enemy Lines
In Republican Like Me, journalist Harmon Leon infiltrates the Red (State) Menace to find out what makes conservatives so dang kooky

by Vince Darcangelo
- - - - - - - - - - - -

They're angry. They're hateful. They love their God, their flag and their country, and if your croissant-eating liberal ass doesn't love it, too, you can damn well leave it—and God help you if your skin is a bit to
Mariah
In Republican Like Me, Harmon Leon, journalist and flaming liberal goes undercover into a a variety of conservative/right-wing groups. He starts trying to shock us by attending a Neo-Nazi meeting at an Applebee's. The participants are at least semi-normal people with very creepy opinions- they mention that they are very family-oriented. The family that hates together stays together? Often at the various events he goes to, he makes provocative statements (not lefty but more righty)

One of the thi
Peacegal
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Let’s get the bad news out of the way first: Harmon Leon could use a better editor. The writing style throughout this book can be spotty and there are numerous typos. One has the feeling that with a bit more polish, Republican Like Me coulda been a contender. That said, I still found myself laughing out loud so frequently--especially when Leon would choose an inane catchphrase and repeat it throughout his interactions—that I was asked several times to tone it down.

The premise has the author ado
Scott DeVogelaere
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a book that will make liberals laugh out loud as they read it. It was modeled by the author after the sixties? classic 'Black Like Me' where a man actually painted himself black somehow to fit in with other blacks to expose how whites treated them. So the author of this book attends anti-abortion protests at clinics, fundamentalist churches, gun shows and Republican rallies. What he does is confirm the ignorance of many of these types of people through his antics. It is a funny, quick re ...more
Mike
Jan 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book turned out to be a disappointment. It wasn't at all what I expected it to be. When I read the blurb on the back I expected someone to pretend to be a republican red-stater and possibly provide me with some insight into how it is that they think they way they do. Perhaps let me know how they manage to be such unquestioning automatons. But alas, this is not what occurs in these pages. Instead, Leon goes to a menagerie of political functions and clubs, goes waaaaay over the top pretending ...more
Hatuxka
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was, as his first one, funny as shit, only not quite as funny as his previous one. I read his other one while on a work trip, saved what was unread by the end of trip for the next trip and finished it on like the third trip. Same with this one. Made the lay-overs and after the conference down time bearable and sure did beat TV. You don't think at first this could be that great, but somehow living in deep America as I am, the fact that he is so dead-on about the "folks" he depicts really syn ...more
Dray
May 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I bought this because it was $1 at the used bookstore and because I am a dirty liberal who likes to laugh at people who aren't. (kind of joking)

Like others have said, I enjoyed the content, but the formatting was terrible. It seems like he received no professional opinions when writing. The chapter titles were in a weird font, the text was rarely broken up... It was just kind of painful on the eyes.
Mandy
May 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: democrats & anarchists
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. First chapter: "My dinner at Applebee's with White Supremacists". Need I say more? Well I will.

This guy infiltrates different groups and writes about his experience amongst them. I like it so far, though I have to admit I haven't picked it up in a few days and am only halfway through. Good brief chapters for people who are in between great books.
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good laugh
I know that all the reviews on the back of the book esentially say the same thing but "HILARIOUS" is really the perfect word to describe this book. If you don't like that awkward feeling of laughing outloud at crowded bus stops when no one else knows what your laughing at, make sure to read it at home :)
Patrick
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006
Leftist goes undercover at various conservative gatherings, hangs out at pro-life rallies, repeatedly yells, "Wake up, America!" at NRA meetings, and meets with white supremacists at Applebees. Funny, but not very informative.
Cherie
Aug 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Funny stuff. A liberal Democrat "dude" infiltrates Republican events including volunteering for Governor Schwarzenegger's campaign. I wouldn't call this non-fiction but the guy did do the things he writes about.
Nichole
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Why did it take me this long to finally read this book?! Harmon Leon is hilarious. But it also makes me sad to read this. Tighten up that Canadian Border! The version I read had quite a few grammatical errors, hopefully those were corrected in subsequent editions.
Mell
May 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Not what I expected. Was looking forward to smart criticism and witty insights, but got low brow commentary.
Steph
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS!
Angela
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
God, this was hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Laughed my ASS off.
Deidre Evans
Oct 29, 2012
Rob
Jan 11, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Harmon Leon is an award-winning author, performer, and former senior writer for National Lampoon. His latest book, The Infiltrator, was released in 2006, and his writing credits for print and television include NPR, National Geographic, Maxim, Cosmopolitan, The BBC, and Showtime Television Network. He lives and works in San Francisco. (from the publisher's website)"
More about Harmon Leon...