Start by marking “Murder In The Rue Chartres (Chanse MacLeod, #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder In The Rue Chartres (Chanse MacLeod, #3)

Murder In The Rue Chartres

(Chanse MacLeod #3)

Murder hits the Big Easy.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Chanse MacLeod returns to a different, shattered New Orleans in an attempt to rebuild his own life and face his own future. When he discovers that his last client before the storm was murdered the very night she hired him to find her long-missing father, he is drawn into a web of intrigue and evil that surrounds th
Published November 1st 2007 by Alyson Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder In The Rue Chartres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder In The Rue Chartres

Richard Derus
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
#pride2016 #review of MURDER IN THE RUE CHARTRES Third in the Chanse MacLeod mystery series by ol' ya'at Greg Herren http://tinyurl.com/hnaqolq Post-Katrina New Orleans resembles Chanse's heart: Gritty, dark, grim but hope is on the horizon.
Jon
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Set in New Oreans, gay private investigator, Chanse MacLeod returns to his beloved cities as soon as citizens are allowed back after Hurricane Katrina. Trouble is, the client that hired him to find her father was murdered just before the storm. Now, Chanse has the retainer - but no client, and he's facing the depression and anxiety of a one grand city struggling to get beyond the shock of the worse hurricane to hit the region in centuries.

I enjoyed Greg Herren's simple but cleaver approach to w
Ije the Devourer of Books
This excellent series continues and here we see Chanse trying to put his life together after his loss and in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

It is a really excellent, thrilling mystery with a woman who is murdered a few days before the flood and just after asking Chanse to find the father she has never seen.

So why was she killed?

As Chanse solves the mystery we see a ruined New Orleans slowly trying to resurrect from the devastation of Katrina. It made the story so interesting, heartbreaking
Beth
May 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries, glbt
This was the first book by Greg Herren I've ever read, and I picked it up to learn more about post-Katrina New Orleans. (I visited New Orleans more than fifteen years ago and loved it, so I was fascinated to know what it might be like to an insider. The author himself survived Katrina and has moved back.) It was pretty well-written overall, except for one major mistake in the first couple of chapters: his client is killed after hiring him but somehow leaves him a message two days later and fires ...more
Daniel Mitton
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Originally Reviewed for Love Bytes Same Sex Book Reviews.)

I posted on Facebook last night after I finished reading book two in this series, Murder in the Rue St. Ann, that I didn’t think I liked Greg Herren any longer. The end of that book was really sad, and after reading the Author’s Comments at the end of that book, I knew why the storyline had to end there, but I was still sad.

So later last night, around 11pm or so, I started immediately into this current installment. In Murder in the Rue C
Kristina
I read this book because it was written by one of my former New Orleans neighbors whom I often find myself missing. This was his first post-Katrina book and within the first twenty pages, I cried and laughed in his descriptions of going back into the city - I knew and could picture these scenes so well - not to mention his descriptions of the Avenue Pub, my own local haunt (well, my husband's) while I lived there.

This is a cute story. It's an easy weekend read, not an American classic. Although
Jeffrey Ricker
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The thing I like most about Greg Herren's Chanse MacLeod mysteries is how the city of New Orleans itself is a character as much as any of the people who populate the novels. That's especially true of MURDER IN THE RUE CHARTRES, set in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina where a seemingly random murder in the days before the devastating storm proves to be (as you'd expect) much more than it appears. Add to that the storm of emotions and grief that each character has over what's been allowed to hap ...more
Suze
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked this one the best so far.
Maybe now that Paul is not in the story ( and I was sad at that development), Chanse’s vacillating in a relationship wasn’t obvious so didn’t annoy me! Chanse does grow through this book- the devastation of Katrina and the aftermath also devastes Chanse and he has to learn to deal with lots of things in his personal life. If you read this as a standalone, then this will come over as big time navel gazing but having followed Chanse into three books, it is
Cathy
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Could not stop reading it. I picked it up because I thought it was set in Paris, but it is set in New Orleans. I liked it.
Jimmy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Up to 100 pages of an insight to the disastrous effects of hurricane Katrina, on the city of New Orleans, it’s people, the problems they face of going home or having no home to go back to, and the outrageous lack of support from our government to help it’s own, that no one can truly understand, unless they witnessed it in person, not on TV.
Chanse is deputized by the police department to investigate a burglary, and uncovers some deep, dark, horrible secrets of a very proud, prominent and powerfu
Mark
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Chanse McCleod series is becoming my own favorite literary mystery gay mental mini series. Herren's love for New Orleans is evident in all his books but it's even more apparent in this novel--his first installment after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. That national tragedy permeates everyone and everything in the story but, more importantly, gives the reader an insider's view to the city's spirit after the event. As usual, Herren's landscape is populated his intriguing heroes and villi ...more
Larry
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This is probably the best of all the Chance mysteries. I really liked the way that Gregg incorporated all his feelings after Hurricane Katrina as they were the same pretty much that all of us in New Orleans had. I would recommend this book to anyone touched by the hurricane or anyone who wants to know about the honesty of feelings after the hurricane. I am glad that Gregg won a Lambda award for this book. It is well deserved
Katherine Johnston
Jul 12, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this book in less than a week, granted one of those days I was trapped on an airplane which afforded me ample reading time. It's unlike me to get through a book so quickly. It is not a challenging read. The story itself isn't all that compelling, but the emotional portrayal of life immediately post Katrina for New Orleanians was moving. I wasn't as connected to the human anguish as I am now because of this book.
J.D.
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was the best book I've read so far by Herren. I'm not sure how early in his career the MacLeod series started but I could tell a difference in the writing of this book. Like an earlier reviewer mentioned, there are quite a few editing mistakes that need to be corrected but that didn't distract me or cause a lower rating. Part of the reason this book struck a cord with me was because I just recently stood on the corner of Iberville and Chartres Streets gazing up at the second floor.
Jack
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Third book in a series about Chanse MacLeod, a gay private eye in New Orleans. This one starts soon after Hurricane Katrina as Chanse returns after evacuating.

The murder mystery is good, lots of twists that I didn't see coming. What I didn't like so much were the characters. With a couple of exceptions they were emotionally a mess, and that grated after a while.
Leigh Ann Wallace
I always expect a good story and characters from Greg Herren, but this was a particularly good addition to the series. It's set when Chanse goes back to New Orleans right after Hurricane Katrina. The way he writes about how the city changed, what its people went through, not just during the storm, but after -- it really made me feel it.
Cheri
Feb 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
This was an interesting take on New Orleans post Katrina .It was written from the point of view of someone with a non-traditional relationship and was well written.It is the first book I have read by Greg Herren but I will certainly investigate more of his works.
Dan Beliveau
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The third in an on-going series, but the setting of post-Katrina, and the background of his previous books really made this one feel *right*. The ending was poetic and smart and made me think about where I want to go and who I want to be. Job well done!
Gerry Kelly
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-fiction, a-own
Lively and very New Orleans
Delightful readiing captures NOLA and the culture that embraces all.
Dave
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Interesting barely post-Katrina New Orleans setting, but the mystery wasn't very mysterious, and the forays into emotional healing were a little tedious.
Drianne
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
Chanse investigates a murder in the aftermath of Katrina. Well-written (although very sad); the mystery is so-so.
Josh
Jan 30, 2008 marked it as to-read
Supposedly his best work -- I'm looking forward to reading it.
Harold
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
While the characters and storyline are interesting, the author spends too much time obsessing with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The story moves slowly and is rather dry.
Karie
Jun 15, 2014
Nathan Burgoine
May 19, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Greg Herren is a New Orleans-based author and editor. Former editor of Lambda Book Report, he is also a co-founder of the Saints and Sinners Literary Festival, which takes place in New Orleans every May. He is the author of ten novels, including the Lambda Literary Award winning Murder in the Rue Chartres, called by the New Orleans Times-Picayune “the most honest depiction of life in post-Katrina ...more

Chanse MacLeod (7 books)
  • Murder In The Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod, #1)
  • Murder In The Rue St. Ann (Chanse MacLeod, #2)
  • Murder In The Rue Ursulines (Chanse MacLeod, #4)
  • Murder In The Garden District (Chanse MacLeod, #5)
  • Murder in the Irish Channel (Chanse MacLeod, #6)
  • Murder in the Arts District (Chanse MacLeod, #7)