Start by marking “Healing the Heart of Democracy: The Courage to Create a Politics Worthy of the Human Spirit” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  504 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
At a critical time in American life, Parker J. Palmer looks with realism and hope at how to deal with our political tensions for the sake of the common good--without the shouting, blaming, or defaming so common in our politics today.

In his newest book, Parker J. Palmer builds on his own extensive experience as an inner life explorer and social change activist to examine th

Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Healing the Heart of Democracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing the Heart of Democracy

Elizabeth
Parker Palmer has some important, insightful, and inspiring ideas about democracy, but I often found myself bored with this book, only becoming interested when he illustrated his philosophical point with a real-world example. (So this criticism may be more about my lack of attention span than Palmer's writing, but so be it.)

Nevertheless, this is worth a read: talking about everything from the decline of public spaces to partisanship to our educational system, Palmer argues that we need to streng
Joyce
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration
Published in 2011, this book still rings true, perhaps even more so. We Americans have been greatly divided for a long time and sadly to say, remain so today.

This book discusses how we Americans can strive to bridge that gap because: "When we forget that politics is about weaving a fabric of compassion and justice on which everyone can depend, the first to suffer are the most vulnerable among us -- our children, our elderly, our mentally ill, our poor and our homeless. As they suffer, so does t
Michael Kruse
I have really appreciated Parker Palmer's books over the years but this book is a profound disappointment. I quit reading at the halfway point. If you are a liberal/progressive, then I suspect you may enjoy the book. It plays very well into the meme that at core of the discord in our country are conservatives. I can't help but feel that Palmer missed an opportunity.

I know he is a Quaker pacifist. I've suspected his political views were to the left based on other writing I've seen. I have no pro
Kyra Degruy
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Parker J Palmer SO much. This book was divine. Both practical and emotional, it completely shifted my perspective about divisiveness and how to bridge the gap between polarities. Highly recommend!
Dnicebear
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes! I want to be involved in democracy that stays rooted in reality while dreaming of possibility and is willing to enter the gap between the two to bring it about. Parker Palmer has encouraged me in previous books to see myself as a teacher and to let my life speak. Now, I'm with him again into this exploration into being part of "we the people" in a way that allows respect and true sharing of who we are. "Life in the company of strangers" really seems possible here, and in a way that honors t ...more
Dick
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Healing the Heart of Democracy” by Parker J. Palmer

This book was a gift from my in-laws.

To be honest, I did some research on the author before reading the book and found that he is a pacifist Quaker and at one time was a community organizer.

This meant that my mind was not objective to begin with when it came to reading the book.
Yet, as I read the book, I found myself agreeing with many of his points and yes even some of his hopes for restoring decency in our politics.

He has a tendency to gloss
Matthew Gutschick
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proceeding from the premise that our democracy is dependent on individual and collective action, Palmer argues that the urge to act stems from a mix of hope and heartbreak. This fertile tension plays out in the private, public, and eventually political spheres. We rely on the development of five habits in sustaining productive democracy: 1. understanding that we are all in this together 2. developing an appreciation of the value of otherness 3. cultivating the ability to hold tension in life-giv ...more
Gary Lindsay
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parker Palmer began writing this book in 2004 and published it in 2011, but it is so timely it could have been written during the current election year. It speaks of the great political and social divisions in our country, divisions many are seeing as permanent and unreconcilable. This book is a thoughtful and thorough rebuttal of that view.
Parker's view is that we can bridge this gap by looking at our hearts for the cause of our division, and healing this chasm through constructive engagement.
Kate
Tired of the sniping, nastiness and cynicism in Washington D.C.? So is Parker Palmer. In his usual attempt to be a redemptive thinker, Palmer gives us a clear-eyed assessment of the situation, describing the broken-heartedness of our democracy. And again, as usual, he calls us to our better selves--to quote Abraham Lincoln--"the better angels of our nature." This is not the usual language heard around the beltway, but it's quite refreshing to hear from a wise, hopeful man about one way he can fi ...more
Read  Ribbet
A gift from Kathy Champeau, I wanted to see what Parker Palmer had to say on this topic. Some I know follow his work religiously. Others like to quote him for inspiration while their actions seem to suggest otherwise. The tone of the book is somewhat somber and we come to learn at the end that Palmer found it hard to embracce writing on this topic. His own concern about where society is at after years of writing on compassion and wisdom must be a bit disheartening, but he remains hope-filled tha ...more
K.A. Krisko
I had a hard time with this book. i only managed to read a paragraph or two at a time, and I skipped the exercises in the back after a quick skim. I appreciate the general idea, but I found it rambling, disjointed, and heavy on the historical review, with very little actual suggestions for healing the 'heart' of democracy. I'll take very few ideas away from this into the future, I'm afraid, despite also attending several discussion sessions on the book.

It's well-written, well-edited, and well-fo
Deidra
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many people say they "don't do/talk about politics" when nothing could be further from the truth. We all do politics every day. Our unwillingness to engage politics thoughtfully is what hinders a lot of forward movement, but some of our unwillingness comes from a lack of voices encouraging us to think differently about politics so that we can talk differently about politics. Parker J. Palmer does a great job of helping to reframe the role of politics in everyday life so that we can each be be ...more
Pam
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did this for book club, Pauline and I were the only two who finished it. That said, it gave me a truly good grasp on our private, public and political lives. We need to develop the habits of the heart that fuel and support democracy. I am so tired of people thinking participation In the political process is a waste of energy. Parker reminds us that we are democracy at its best and if we choose so, at its worst.
Loved this book, he has a great command of language, lots of epigrammatic phrases for
Marilynoregan
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best antidote I know for confronting the apathy and, worse, defeatism that I can find in myself in the face of the ongoing barrage of bad news and pessimism that assault us daily. Yes, democracy can be preserved if we can reactivate the "habits of the heart" that permit us to be We the People. And this book by one of my favorite authors goes well beyond nice thoughts to practical ways to begin to restore our democracy to health.
Maughn Gregory
I've developed a deep fascination with the relationships between progressive political activism and contemplative practices. Gandhi. Jacob Needleman. Parker Palmer. Palmer is the most explicit about the many ways in which the two realms of practice need each other: self-work and working on the world. Meditation and marching. Strident witnessing and deep listening. This book is a modern classic in the prophetic tradition that calls us to fight inner and outer injustice at the same time.
Aaron
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so sincere, and so complete and humble. I can see why so many politician aspiring to a better world like it so much. I've just read it three times as it is part of study I've done on leadership and his ideas hold together so well... every time I thought some connection had been missed, I realized that it was there all along. I really like his ideas about meeting and embracing the shadow and that leadership has something to do with including the "other."
Silke
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There isn't anything that Parker Palmer has written that I don't find worth reading, absorbing, and sharing. My kudos to Parker Palmer for taking the concept "Habits of the Heart," which also happens to be the title of a sociological must-read (Bellah et al. 1985/1996/2008) that connects with Palmer's work nicely, a level closer to application. Palmer's style is eminently readable and enjoyable.
Martha
Palmer said this was his hardest book to write, and I had a hard time reading it - in part because the topic is so important and I don’t have a lot of optimism right now. But I did glean some good things, and particularly enjoyed a few pages he had about strategies some neighborhoods had used to increase their sense of community.
Robert D. Cornwall
This is a must read book, especially right now. It speaks to the crisis we face and calls us to find ways of reclaiming and rebuilding the institution of democracy. I'll have a full review soon, but please read this book for the good of the nation and our local communities.

This is my book of the year!
Eric
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right on the money about this culture's illness and how, together, we can heal our democratic society. Ultimately, our problems will not be solved through political answers, but through a collective awakening of the heart.
Chuck Peters
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Core concepts are powerful. References are insightful. Challenge to media worth taking up.
J. Brent Bill
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book that is much needed at this time. I highly recommend it to all who are concerned about faith, politics, civility, and the "soul" of the United States.
Carol
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parker Palmer's book about healing the heart of democracy is very appropriate for this year as we adjust to a new president. The book starts out slowly with a detailed explanation of why people are heart broken about our democracy and explaining his choice of the word "heart" to signify the core of our existence. He also points out that people feel that way on both the right and left. Conservatives have broken hearts about abortion and liberals are frustrated by a lack of action on helping the p ...more
Geri Degruy
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being part of a democracy truly is a matter of the heart. Our willingness to create community, to accept difference, to look at our own and our country's myths and strive to bridge the gap between myth and reality; all of this work of democracy requires a heart that can have compassion and courage. This is a heartening and guiding book about how I can, and you can, find a place in healing our ailing democracy.
Tom Helmick
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This was a remarkable read and a terrifically worthwhile read. We started it in the reading group at St Lukes and I finished it in Cincinnati. Parker Palmer has written a very important book in this read.
Nancy
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is well worth your time....in fact, I didn't sell the book when I was done with it because I thought it was worth a book discussion group topic. If you're interested in a Faith and Politics book club in Fort Wayne, let me know.
Ilana
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
This book hits my heart, would recommend
Jan
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parker Palmer always brings out the best. Especially timely this year.
Phil
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Politically relevant, personally enriching. Palmer once again enters the emotional and spiritual depths of the broken heart and shows us how to emerge with an integrated, healed, and "open heart" to engage in our public square authentically and with compassion. Resources to start community organizing using ideas from the book are available at http://www.couragerenewal.org/. Timely with helpful references.
Joanne
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Palmer gives readers important insight and perspective, although I found the book repetitive. It is a good read on the fundamental beauty of democracy, with its push and pull dynamic, and its call to debate honestly and freely.
  • The American Bible: How Our Words Unite, Divide, and Define a Nation
  • A Public Faith: How Followers of Christ Should Serve the Common Good
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation
  • Education and Capitalism: Struggles for Learning and Liberation
  • L'islam Et Le Réveil Arabe
  • The Artist's Rule: Nurturing Your Creative Soul with Monastic Wisdom
  • Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence
  • Rebuild the Dream
  • So Far from Home: Lost and Found in Our Brave New World
  • American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us
  • The Abundant Community: Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • Stalking the Divine
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • We Make the Road by Walking: Conversations on Education and Social Change
Parker J. Palmer (Madison, WI) is a writer, teacher and activist whose work speaks deeply to people in many walks of life. Author of eight books--including the bestsellers Courage to Teach, Let Your Life Speak, and A Hidden Wholeness--his writing has been recognized with ten honorary doctorates and many national awards, including the 2010 William Rainey Harper Award (previously won by Margaret Mea ...more
More about Parker J. Palmer...

“The more you know about another person's story, the less possible it is to see that person as your enemy.” 12 likes
“We suffer, ironically, from our indifference to those among us who suffer.” 6 likes