Start by marking “Great Son” as Want to Read:
Great Son

Great Son

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
THE SCENE: Seattle from village to skyscraper city; the Alaskan gold fields.
TIME: 1851 - 1941.
THE SUBJECT: Four generations of the marvelous Melendys--a frontier family grown rich and ill at ease.
THE AUTHOR: Edna Ferber, who wrote So Big, Cimarron, Show Boat, and other great novels straight from the heart of America.
Mass Market Paperback, Complete Text of Original Hardcover Edition, 223 pages
Published April 1st 1974 by Fawcett (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Great Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Son

Michael David
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Terrific in all creation'

My first encounter with Edna Ferber was with Cimarron. No, I didn't read the novel or watch the movie, but the movie is among the worst Best Picture winners in the Academy Awards. After seeing the marginally better Cavalcade, I no longer had any interest in watching it. Its tagline was that, 'terrific in all creation.' I had thus presumed that she wrote about frontier America, and realized that I was right. Although I think she doesn't belong with Katherine Anne Porter
Amber Anderson
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, favorites
WHY IS THIS OUT OF PRINT?!

I read most of this on the train from Chicago to Grand Rapids-it made the trip seem much shorter than it actually was. I was completely absorbed from the first page:

"There was too much of everything. But not for Vaughan Melendy. Himself of heroic stature, he fitted well into the gorgeous and spectacular setting that was the city of Seattle. Towering and snow-capped like the mountains that ringed the city, he seemed a part of it-as indeed he was. Born into this gargantua
Mrtruscott
Sep 15, 2015 marked it as to-read
I read this sometime around its original publication date, never dreaming that I would end up living in Seattle. I'm anxious to re-visit it, as when I moved here, knowing very little about Seattle (that corny 70's TV show and FRANGOS every Xmas from friends' who'd lived here)....at any rate, when I moved here from the hip metropolis of Albuquerque, people frowned and asked, "Why would you move there?"

Ahh, Seattle....I hardly know the city any more. Boom and bust, indeed.

Off to search for this
Norma Bush
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I grew up in Seattle and recognize almost everywhere her characters visited. I even had a house on the working class side of Queen Anne Hill overlooking the Fishermen's Wharf.

I realize this book was published during the Second World War and Japan was our enemy; but, be prepared for a degree of racism that would not be tolerated today. The Japanese household staff is consistent portrayed as sly and untrustworthy. I knew many Japanese growing up in the 1950s -- my 4-H leader and her family were in
Sally
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
It was an OK book. Must be since it was written by Edna Ferber. I think I am spoiled by the movie adaptations of her books. For me the best part of the book was the most interesting. I would recommend it since it is a look at the history of the Kondike during the gold rush and early Seattle as as starting point for the gold diggers.
John
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, historical-novel
I was not wowed but i did enjoy parts of it. only liked the very old madam exact and the very young mike and reggie and of course pansy who was old when young and young when old. Only picked it up to read when i saw it took place in Seattle where i was stationed when in the service. A good one day read but i doubt i will remember it next month
Katie Hilton
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
A fairly interesting portrait of a fictional family that founded Seattle. It has engaging descriptions of the panorama and interesting details about the Klondike gold rush, but otherwise is forgettable. Not up to Ferber's best.
Kecia
Aug 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: general_fiction
I enjoyed it but it did not WOW me. Maybe I'll have to read Giant or So Big to be Wowed by Ferber.
Jamie Green
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
i love Edna Ferber however be warned that her books are slow and involve a lot of discription
Janet
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Edna Ferber is my all time favorite author. I'd never read this one. Definitely worth it!
Joe Betz
Jun 06, 2011 is currently reading it
I am 40 pages in and am waiting to see what will develop.
Wyyknot
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great son by Edna Ferber (1945)
J
Nov 07, 2014
Marianne
Aug 21, 2016
John E Haffty
rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2017
Apr 15, 2015
Current
May 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Edna Ferber was an American novelist, short story writer and playwright. Her novels were popular in her lifetime and included the Pulitzer Prize-winning So Big (1924), Show Boat (1926; made into the celebrated 1927 musical), Cimarron (1929; made into the 1931 film which won the Academy Award for Best Picture), and Giant (1952; made into the 1956 Hollywood movie).
Ferber was born August 15, 1885, in