Start by marking “The LEGO® Ideas Book” as Want to Read:
The LEGO® Ideas Book

The LEGO® Ideas Book

You have what it takes! Did you ever wonder what you can do with all of those LEGO® bricks after you have created the project they came with?

Now with The LEGO Ideas Book, you can take what you already have and make something new! The book is divided into six themed chapters—transportation, buildings, space, kingdoms, adventure, and useful makes—each with basic templates of

Published September 19th 2011 by DK Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The LEGO® Ideas Book, please sign up.
Christopher Anderson
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Robert
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lego
There is lots to love about this book and nothing to dislike, so long as you accept the title: it's inspirational in intent. There are no step-by-step instructions as you would find if you bought an off-the-shelf LEGO kit. Instead there heaps of pictures of different types of LEGO objects, from buildings to animals to vehicles to practical objects (e.g. picture frames) all designed and built by six amateur LEGO enthusiasts. I think it's great that LEGO reach out to their biggest fans in this way ...more
Anthony
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book has a lot of creative ideas
Ocarl243
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a Lego Lover I read every bit of this big book, It not only gives very informational pictures, but it has a lot of good reading content that is essential for building things I like.
Lee Battersby
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some absolutely beautiful MOCs presented in lush colour, with a smattering of break-aparts to show some internal construction techniques, as well as interviews with the AFOLs who made them, all presented in easy-to flick through chapters organised by theme and interest. The only problem with the book is one that's not easily surmounted when dealing with a subject that lends itself to the photo-and-caption technique, and that is that I would have liked to have seen a more comprehensive breakdowns ...more
Rebecca
Awesome gift for LEGO lovers; plenty of ideas for what to build with your basic brick and special LEGOs. Booktalk notes:

Builder Duncan Titmarsh's LEGO mosaics, p. 164
Boxes from the "Practical Makes" chapter, p. 178-179
Thomas
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I could lock myself in my room for a day with only this book and my lego and forget to come back out! If I did come out my mind would full of lego ideas! This clever book gives you simple but effective ideas from master builders.
Grant Wheeler
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Great ideas, however a lot of the focus was on placed on designs involving special pieces. There wasn't a balance present for those working with basic pieces. Overall it was fine.
Charlie
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I love legos!
Steven
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of idea's to kick start any lego project.
Geoff Battle
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The cover, the concept and the marketing are outstanding. Anyone with a tub of mixed Lego will be drawn to this book like moths to a flame. After all, this is promising over 500 ideas to put those blocks to good use. What follows. once the cover is opened, will be disappointment. 'I don't have this bit', 'I've never ever seen that bit!' and 'Who would own all those diving flippers?' are questions that will arise.

This book is not about having a tub of rectangular blocks and being able to build ho
Marie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dylan and I actually took the time to read this, not just look at the pictures and it is great! There's lots of helpful tips on using the Lego pieces you have for different things--like a torch can become a lamp. The other thing I liked about this book is that it really encourages kids to make up their own ideas, not just follow the instructions or examples. This would be a great gift for any beginner Lego builder.
Tori
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
Lego have always been a favorite in my house. I wish I had this book when I was a kid. I really can't wait to dig out my old Legos to try some of these creations as well as sharing them with my best friend and a very special little girl in my life.
Evan
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book can really give you awesome ideas for creations. For example from this book I made a two in one house. It is a small cabin that you can pull the roof off making it a cup to hold all your pencils. Cool huh?
Carli Holman
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great ideas!
Tori
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Lego's, but I wish this book actually taught you how to build things, rather than giving you tips.
Nathan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic collection of ideas, original models, and hints!
Ac
Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not a lot of Instruction. Just pictures of simple things. Truly JUST an idea book that leaves you to figure out the build.
Erth
SM
Connor Foster-Nesbit
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lego
are you stuck and have no idea of what to build well this book is just what you need.
it contains helpfull advice and solutions to solve all of you lego problems.
Matthew
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kind of like a lego cookbook: you're assumed to have some layer of competency, so the author shows you what sort of peices might be good to have and what sort of things can be made. The book is divided by genre (such as automobiles, architecture, pirates, so on) and provides a variety of different "recipes," which aren't quite build instructions, but are more than just a picture. The ideas in the book are almost universally approachable (other than the high brick count of some builds) and offer ...more
N
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lego, instructions
Very nice MOCing!!! I am very happy with how the book shows tips, tricks, and absolutely beautiful MOCs! I'm happy with the interviews with AFOLs who made the MOCs in the book, because they get the credit for the designs. They deserve it!

One thing though: It says that you can build all the things in there with your collection. I have a fairly large collection of LEGO, but some of the builds in there are too complex for some people new to LEGO to build with thier collections, and even if they hav
Parka
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The LEGO Ideas Book
(More pictures on my blog)

At 200 pages, this visual treasury is filled with interesting LEGO creations built by fans.

There are lots of cool stuff to build, provided you have the parts. But you don't really have to build it exactly, and because of that there's no building instructions.

The book's goal is to give you ideas and and does so by giving lots of pictures. Everything is beautifully laid out. There are ideas on building planes, vehicles, spacecrafts, medieval castles, to even chess sets.

I
Rll52013_andrea
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: infos-bios
These books are the hottest things at my school, and there is no reason to wonder why. They are packed with excellent information on a high-interest topic and include loads of beautiful, colorful, interesting pictures that explore all the farthest reaches of lego possibilities written by a lego fanatic himself, who, in an interview on Youtube talks about how much research goes into his lego books. He has amassed a huge amount of lego tricks and tips from his own experience and from his work with ...more
Janell
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought my grandson a large basic Lego set and got this book to go along with it. It has so many different things that he can build with his Lego set. The book is divided between six different chapters to entice your child to pick and choose what he/she wants to build. It even gives you shortcuts on what to do if you don't have all the bricks. My 5 year old grandson doesn't have a problem reading the instructions as the visual is excellent to where it required little if no reading. The only thi ...more
Elameno
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for anyone, kid or grown-up, who has "too much Lego" (like there's such a thing?). It has tips and tricks for designing your own sets, and page after page of photos full of inspiration! There aren't any breakdowns to show how everything was built, but any kid familiar with Lego shouldn't have too much of problem figuring out how to construct the finished product. If you like Lego, you'll probably like this book.
Sarah Adamson
This is a good book for inspiring and giving ideas to kids and adults. It contains a variety of different topics showing almost anything can be made with Lego. We enjoyed it. It didn't get 5* because if I had owned it then it would have been nice to have some blank pages at the back for a kid to draw or design their own Lego models. It didn't do enough to encourage a child to make their own ideas come true.
Laura Brennan
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great book for Lego lovers! Kids can build straight from pictures in the book, or just look through the pictures, enjoying what others have created. The book is divided into chapters such as "Space" and "Transportation" which makes finding your favorite Lego ideas very easy! It has a DK-like feel with text of varying sizes in small blurbs. Even children who aren't reading at this level yet will page through!
LEPIN Technic Dream Car 20001 Porsche Racing CarBuilding Blocks Bricks 1 1 Aug 25, 2018 10:27AM
  • Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary [With Mini Figure]
  • Beautiful LEGO
  • LEGO Ninjago: Character Encyclopedia
  • LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
  • The Cult of LEGO
  • The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-Edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family
  • Super Scratch Programming Adventure!: Learn to Program By Making Cool Games
  • American Revolution (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #11)
  • Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion
  • Star Wars: A Scanimation Book: Iconic Scenes from a Galaxy Far, Far Away...
  • Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments: All Lab, No Lecture