Start by marking “De vijf frustraties van teamwork” as Want to Read:
De vijf frustraties van teamwork

De vijf frustraties van teamwork

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  79,903 ratings  ·  3,612 reviews
In The Five Dysfunctions of a Team Patrick Lencioni once again offers a leadership fable that is as enthralling and instructive as his first two best-selling books, The Five Temptations of a CEO and The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive. This time, he turns his keen intellect and storytelling power to the fascinating, complex world of teams.

Kathryn Petersen, D
Published January 2008 by Business Contact (first published September 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about De vijf frustraties van teamwork, please sign up.
Catherine Tackett The author of this book does not mean it to be weak or vulnerable in that sense. In this context, he means that all parties drop walls that we put up …moreThe author of this book does not mean it to be weak or vulnerable in that sense. In this context, he means that all parties drop walls that we put up to keep ourselves to appear stronger than the next individual. Basically, leveling the field to create equals instead of fostering a competitive environment. This includes the "leader". It's not about making others feel sorry for one another but seeing that each of us have strengths and weaknesses that can contribute to the team environment. This helps drop walls in order to proceed forward with honest problem-solving and not defensive or evasive behavior. (less)

·  79,903 ratings  ·  3,612 reviews

Start your review of De vijf frustraties van teamwork
Neil
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been in corporate America for just under 4 years now. In my time, I've never really bought into the majority of management strategies I've seen because well, they blatantly do not work; and if they do, its at an absurd cost of employee retention, dissatisfaction and needless overwork.

Passive aggressiveness, no accountability, scared of conflict... I see it too often, and I'm constantly frustrated by it. And just when I thought I was alone, I read this book and was completely blown away. Eve
Daniel Silvert
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Dysfunctions of a Team
As a consultant who has worked with hundreds of teams in organizations large and small, I can attest that model outlined in “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team” is both accurate in it’s root diagnosis of team dysfunctionalism, and is as pervasive as human nature itself. As with all of Lencioni’s books, he opens with a fable and concludes with the model that is the basis for the story’s solution. In the fable, a new CEO is confronted with a dysfunctional executive team and
Jacob
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bear with me. I am highly skeptical of models as methods versus tools (I will explain later) and of corporate literature. With that bias, this book would have been lucky to get three stars from me. Please keep that in mind.

What I mean by a model as a method versus a tool, is that when a model is presented to help people try and understand how something functions I have no problem with it. Meyers-Briggs personality test is a great example. Fun to take and compare with people and get an idea of wh
Amanda NEVER MANDY
This is another one of my “have to” and not “want to” reads. I would never even consider reading one of these types of books for fun, they are not my style at all. The information they contain is usually common sense stuff that people are aware of but unwilling or unable to incorporate into their day-to-day work lives. Most jobs are group based versus individual and even if you are in the mindset to make whatever changes that books like this deem necessary, it doesn’t mean everyone else you work ...more
Marleigh
First line: "Only one person thought Kathryn was the right choice to become CEO of DecisionTech, Inc.

Summary: Lencioni identifies five problems with executive teams, which he presents through a story (fable) and then analyzes.

Spoilers! In as much as reference books can have spoilers.

The 5 dysfunctions are:
1. Absence of trust. Where trust is comfort with showing vulnerability and admitting mistakes to teammates.
2. Fear of conflict. Teams need to be able to have passionate debate and walk away
محمد الملا
Simply, this book is "Must read books" list, I liked the story way to write the book, and the simple make Sense model of the five dysfunctions of teams

I already recommended this books to my friends, it's must read for every one

I will recommend that the reader should be ware of "Tuckman's stages of group development" which will put this book in the right context
Stephanie
How lovely if things were actually this simple.
jack
forced to read this one for work. did some awful group work with it also. really not that helpful in a bullshit retail situation.
Nikki
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a one of the best business novels out there. I love the idea of introducing concepts through a storyline of a fictional organization. The only thing better would be if it were based on actual events that was told in story form.

Kathryn is a CEO who takes over a company struggling with its market share and profit. She has the courage to attack the difficult issues rarely losing her composure and delivers criticism in a way that it mostly encourages discussion and positive conflict. I canno
Vam Norrison
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm relatively new to the corporate world and observe heavy reliance on inane hierarchical-pyramid models and very linear "cycles" designed to describe organizations, relationships, goals, processes, progress and, ultimately, success. 'Five Dysfunctions' is a great example. While I'd love to rip into this book's awkward narrative structure, cartoonish characters, and childish melodrama, I'm certain many already have. If this book is to be considered a fable, it is only for its oversimplification ...more
Tania Lukinyuk
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeptical business book reader, I had zero expectations from this book. I only took it because it was less than 150 pages and was recommended by two people whose opinion I respected.

I am happy to admit that I was wrong. The book is written as a story of new leader coming to an IT company with poorly acting management team. The way she managed her new team members - very different, often contradicting and conflicting with each other or working in their silos - is great learning process on effect
Chad Warner
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: team leaders
Recommended to Chad by: Traction
Shelves: business, non-fiction
This identifies the causes of dysfunction in a team, and tells how to avoid them. It's astute, applicable guidance on improving a team's performance by improving behavior. The first part is a fable, and the second part is an explanation of the concepts.

It starts by saying that teamwork, more than products, tech, etc., make a company successful. Teamwork disintegrates if even one of the 5 dysfunctions is present. Teams succeed because they're exceedingly human. By acknowledging imperfections, the
Matthew Morrison
Mar 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was chosen for a work thing, then we all realized that it didn't apply to our group, because we actually aren't dysfunctional at all, so we scrapped our plan to discuss it and went skiing instead!
That being said, I did learn some very valuable lessons...ok, I didn't...but I did read it, at least. For the good of the team.
Robert Chapman
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I read this book 10 years ago when it was first released. Back then I was at a point in my career where the lessons of this book were not really applicable to my circumstances. I decided to give it another read as I remembered it to be a good book and since its release it has also gained a reputation as one of the better books on the topics of Leadership and Organizational Development.

The book tells a story to illustrate the dysfunctions using the setting of an executive team in a fictitious com
Sarina
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sarina by: My 2nd eldest sis and her husband
Certainly a guide most of us are in dire need of or everyone should at least read once. It's necessary for teams or groups not just in the corporate world, but I think in all areas, even in university or school level.
The translation by Farjana Mobin, and Onnorokom Prokashoni was just amazing.
It's like I have become a part of Katheryn's team myself.

Hats off to the translating team for bringing such an important book to the attention of the people of this country and hats off to the author for w
Jamie
Feb 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so sad that this is the first book I've finished in 2012. It was chosen for a book study at school. It's an easy read, and has some very good points and good information for team building. But, books like this are just annoying to me. I'm not a fan of fables. It feels condescending. They just aren't my thing.

Kathryn takes over as CEO of a software company and works to rebuild the leadership team of vice-presidents. She ruffles feathers, but ultimately prevails in building a cohesive, goal-or
Rita
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In the context of building a team, trust is the confidence among team members that their peers' intentions are good, and that there is no reason to be protective or careful around the group. In essence, teammates must get comfortable being vulnerable with one another."

This.
Laura Frey (Reading in Bed)
This is the best business book I've read, which is to say, it wasn't complete garbage.
Jacquelin
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is as incredible as I'd heard. I bought it without intending to, (long story), but as always - the Universe was actually putting something in front of me I needed. When I picked it up to read months later, it was the perfect time. Somewhat unfortunately, all the lessons made so much sense because I'd seen them all play out. I look forward to using what I gained from this book moving forward in my professional career. I highly recommend!
Isaac Yuen
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Usually books about leadership, teamwork, and organizational culture bore me to death, but this one is different; I finished it in around two hours, and it was an interesting read all the way through. As the description notes, Lencioni crafts a fictional but realistic story around a high-tech Silicon Valley startup in crisis: although they have better technology, expertise, and initial investments, in recent months they have been rapidly ceding their advantage to competitors. A new CEO renowned ...more
Jim B
3 stars means "liked it." This book contains a lot of wisdom, some of which is counter-intuitive for some people who've never worked on a positive team. For example, the first dysfunction -- lack of trust -- is hindered by the need to be invincible and helped when people learn to be vulnerable, to "trust that their peers' intentions are good and there is no reason to be protective or careful around the group." Some people will read those words and think that there is no group of people where the ...more
thethousanderclub
I've been hesitant to read business-oriented books in the past. I've laid out my reasons why in a separate blog post. When I was invited to participate in a book club at work and read and discuss the business book The Five Dysfunctions of a Team I was thrilled to participate, but my excitement was more in being able to interact with other leaders and not as much regarding the book itself. Happily, I found some value in the book and would be willing to recommend it to the others.

The first red fla
Patricia Hamill
This is a story about a team of executives who are suffering from five dysfunctions that have pretty much crippled them. As repeated a few times in the book, they should be doing great. They have more money, a better product and more promise than their competitors, but they are failing. The heroine is Kathryn, the new CEO brought in to turn them and the company around.

Told as a story, this is a pretty good method of teaching what the dysfunctions are while giving examples of what they look like
Sam
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patrick Lencioni classified 5 dysfucntions of a team:
1. Abesent of trust
2. Fear of conflict
3. Lack of commitment
4. Avoidance of accountability
5. Inattention to result

The story is little bit strange to me as the recruit or promotion of a senior management seems to be so open and become a company decision instead of teh CEO make it final. It is not important for the theme of this book, just make me feel strange when reading this section. Is that cultural difference I found?

However, I woul
Rebecca
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: Merrie
Shelves: nonfiction, business
This was helpful, I think. I liked the suggestions for nonintrusive team-building exercises re personal histories and work contributions (below). If you don't have time to read this, the 5 dysfunctions are:
(1) absence of trust (manifests as invulnerability),
(2) fear of conflict (manifests as artificial harmony),
(3) lack of commitment (manifests as ambiguity),
(4) avoidance of accountability (manifests as low standards),
(5) inattention to results (manifests as status and ego).

Personal history
Jaipal
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a useful book about working in a team. It starts by highlighting the 5 features that can cause a team to fail. They are common sense but this book gives the reader a practical approach through a story of a fictitious management team. We go through the issues and how they improve as a team.

The section after that lists the 5 dysfunctions and they ways to overcome them.

As I mentioned, it's common sense but it's packaged well. Definitely worth reading and re-reading, especially for people wo
Jeff Yoak
I really enjoyed this little book. It's been on my list for a while, and got moved to the front of the list as we're going to discuss it at a management retreat next month. I can see why it is a classic. It covers several problems in team dynamic that resonate with things we're already discussing. It is immediately on-topic and actionable.
Siah
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful read, short, to the point and in a very new style of writing. The author uses a fictional story as an anchor to land his points. Unlike other management books this is not a collection of one boring lesson after another. He tells a story. And along the way teaches you about building teams at work.
Grekz
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. I was entertained during the entire read.

Trust your teammates. Don't run away from conflict. Commit. Make yourself and teammates accountable. Focus on team goals over individual goals.
BECOMING A LEADER 1 10 Oct 12, 2017 03:50PM
Kathryn Predetermines who is Necessary on the Executive Team 1 13 Oct 04, 2017 10:19AM
Houston Christian...: Pre-Reading Discussion Starter 3 6 Aug 17, 2017 03:17AM

• Who Moved My Cheese?
  • The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
  • The One Minute Manager
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow: A Landmark Study of Great Leaders, Teams, and the Reasons Why We Follow
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to

News & Interviews

“Trust is knowing that when a team member does push you, they're doing it because they care about the team.” 144 likes
“Remember teamwork begins by building trust. And the only way to do that is to overcome our need for invulnerability.” 92 likes