Start by marking “A Thousand Suns” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Suns

A Thousand Suns

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  636 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
It's early April of 1945 and the bloodied days of World War II. The Nazi regime is being slowly throttled by the oncoming Russian and Allied armies and Hitler rages uselessly in his Berlin bunker. But the high command have one more throw of the dice to make. An audacious plan is hatched to save the Fatherland and beat off the oncoming apocalypse. All it will take is a hodg ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Orion Publishing (first published May 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Suns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Suns

Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-slip
A Thousand Suns: Alex Scarrow
This book is a fantastic debut Novel for Alex, I myself am a fan of many genre, and in the world of War time exploits one of My favourite authors is Jack Higgins, some one I consider the master of this genre. I would put this book up there with his best, against the likes of Cold Harbour and The Eagle Has landed.
The Story Is a great testament to the courage or the men who fought in those times, alot of people forget or don't know that the Germans had many Brave men w
John
Another one of those Tesco bargains and another surprisingly good little book.

Historical military fiction again... also with the possibility of alternate historical outcomes too. This book is not complex, yet has sufficient in it to satisfy thriller fans as well as military fiction fans.
Hayley
Kiera Healy
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
My first bit of holiday reading during my recent trip to Malta! This is the best Alex Scarrow novel I've read, but it's still not very good. During the dying days of WW2, the Germans launch an audacious mission to drop a bomb on Manhattan, in an effort to turn the Americans against the Russians. It's politically unsound and, of course, doomed to failure.

The problem is that we KNOW it's doomed to failure because the novel begins in modern times, with an annoying, colourless British photo-journali
Amy
Like thousand suns. As such, in my view, shines this war novel from Alex Scarrow. The book has two story-lines; first from the end of the war in 1945, which tells the story of the bomber's crew; the second from the present, where a journalist with his friend a diving instructor head off to explore the found wreck. Some might be put off for from the very beginning it's clear how the crew ends. However, it's not so. Within a while the book will devour you and won't go until the end.

As was said the
Sandra
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
blijedi pokusaj da se kopira den braun, ni izbliza dramticno,dosadno,jedino je kraj donekle ok...
Lesley
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed A Thousand Suns. It's hard to believe it's a debut novel as the plotting is very assured and mature.

This is the parallel story of a last ditch effort by Germany to win the war in its last weeks interspersed with the contemporary story of the discover of a B-17 bomber sunk in shallow water off the coast of Rhode Island. Except the pilot of the bomber is clearly wearing Luftwaffe clothing!

I found the past story utterly compelling and entertaining. Initially in the background, it c
Andringas
May 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Andringas by: My Brother

When my brother explained to me what this book was about, I was very curious and created high expectations towards this novel. Unfortunatly, it didnt match my expectations, since I found some things to be a bit bothering.
Firstly, the way the story is told in my opinion is not the best, since the reader knows almost from the start how the end is.
Secondly, I think the autor just "casted" a lot of characters. Too many, in my opinion, since some of them don't matter that much to the action. Like n
Andrew
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Anne
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WWII fiction lovers
This was a good read about the possibility that Hitler had perfected an atomic bomb in the waning year of WWII and planned to destroy New York. So he takes a confiscated B-17 US bomber and cobbles together a last Luftwaffe team and some escort planes and devises an elaborate plan to drop the bomb on New York. Meanwhile in the present, a rusting WWII plane has been discovered off the coast of America. Chris Roland, a photographer has been asked to go down and take pictures of the plane, But there ...more
Iona
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Leighton
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
1 star - binned it before half way, please don't write anymore!!!
2 stars - finally binned it after really trying, I mean really trying and I hate to not finishing someth....
3 stars - finished it but boy was that hard work on times, it just about hooked me back in as I was about to dump it
4 stars - great book but it lacked something, something, can't put my finger on it but.... something
5 stars - want more, more books, more movies about the books, more movies about the authors and the making of t
Keith
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
A fairly gripping "what if" World War Two novel. The "what if" the Nazis did develop the atomic bomb and "what if" they plotted to send a captured Boeing B-17 bomber straight at New York City in the dying moments of the war in Europe? The novel is structured in two interwoven parts: a contemporary story of a search for the truth about this last-gasp operation; and an account of the planning and execution of the flight from the German perspective. Scarrow used to design video games and this exper ...more
Ipswichblade
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
When I started this book I thought it was going to be a five star however although it was a decent read it was far too long and padded out with far too much detail on plane dogfights and general war games. The story centres around the the discovery of a B17 plane under the sea off New England. It soon becomes clear that there is a hidden conspiracy from WW2 and the story then goes back and forth from 1945 to the present day and the story of the plot unfolds. At 200 pages less this book would be ...more
Tufty McTavish
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
An alt.history WW2 story that I quite enjoyed a smidge more than an average 3 stars I reckon. Straightforward enough, it's a little like the "5 hours earlier" plot device in movies and television shows; you know where things end up but not exactly how. And that forms the meat of the story as a few characters push this onward.

Not brilliant, not essential, a little different from my norm, but pulpy and enjoyable enough. 4 stars seems generous, so call it 3.5/5.
Ali Burns
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
'On April 29th, 1945, the allies unconditionally surrendered to Nazi Germany. Four hours later that surrender was withdrawn...'[return][return]It was the above tagline that made me pick up the book, and it was such a good purchase. It had been a long time since I was unable to put a book down until I'd finished it, but had to do it in this case. Absolutely brilliant idea, really well executed. Thoroughly recommended.
Naomi Styles
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
I got halfway through the book and realised that I didn't actually need to read any more. The ending was clear because it's one of those books that is set in two dates, so I knew what was going to happen. A quick flick to the end and I realised that I was right; nothing unexpected did happen; so i saved myself a few hours then. It's a fun setting, and has some research which did like. But dramatic irony does nothing for me; so that was that really.
Peter Lees
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book as an audio and enjoyed it. The story is well crafted and nicely read by Robert Slade. The story flashes back to the last days of World War II and Germany's last ditch attempt to secure victory from the Allies and prevent complete annihilation from the Russian army. It is an actioned filled story with a solidness about it. I was able to relate to many of the characters in the book.
Stephen
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book. It starts out with a WWII mystery and then spends quite a bit of time telling the WWII story while jumping to the current time characters. What if Nazi Germany had developed the A Bomb before America? What if they had used that to try to blackmail the US? What if the Germans tried to deliver the bomb to NY via a captured B-17? All of this is explored in this book. It is an entrancing piece of fiction.
Pedro
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Esta história tinha tudo para ser excelente: um setting promissor, um tema que eu gosto e um estilo que prendia à leitura. O problema é que o final acabou por ser demasiado previsível, nalguns pontos tão previsível que já se sabia de antemão como uma das linhas da história iria terminar. Talvez se pudesse resolver o problema com uma estrutura diferente, talvez...

Fiquei muito desapontado! Esperava muito mais! Não recomendo este livro!
Dave
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked it. Probably came to a too quick an ending. But then again I say that with all the books that I enjoy. Probably because I don't want them to end. But saying that, I can understand the German side of the tale finishing as it did, but I would have liked Chris and Mark to have done more towards the end rather than just give up and walk out.
Brenda
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book! I'm shocked by how realistic it was, the action, the war and the suspense was very vivid and I was forced to think about the possibility of this happening. The what ifs and this being something that could have actually happened in WWII, I might lose sleep thinking about this tonight
Steve
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great idea, good book and definitely one that I would read again. There were a couple of sections that had me scratching my head but in all I really enjoyed reading this book. Alex Scarrow has definitely joined my list if favourite authors.
Whywhy Yip
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Although the books premise was very good, to say I enjoyed it throughout would be a lie. A great novel, but one that can be very boring. The end of the book, however, was very good. Bur the middle was kind of boring.
Keith Nixon
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
A cleverly plotted debut. Germany are losing the war but as a last throw of the dice a lone bomber sets out to destroy New York... A plausible historical fiction story I found myself relating to the enemy. Very well written, good characters and worth a read.
Graham
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A decent tale, with two linked storylines running consecutively. I found it an easy and quick read. The only thing I'd did find a little disappointing was, what I considered to be, a rather predictable ending. Nevertheless an enjoyable book.
Kleinspunk
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
I loved Last Light und October skies by Scarrow. After reading these, I read A Thousand Suns. I found it very disjointed and found myself skipping pages, then chapters. The characters and plot felt superficial. I wouldn't read it again and would't recommend it. Go for his other novels instead.
Alex Rogers
Aug 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Bit of a hokey premise, but started promisingly enough. Unfortunately one of those books that is just good enough to keep reading hoping it would get better or ultimately be satisfying - but eventually give up on half way through and wish you hadn't wasted so much precious reading time on.
Craig
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not a bad read but for some reason I couldn't really get into the characters. With having two timelines you also knew the end which kind of ruined it for me. But I will try reading Alex Scarrow again as I think his later books might be better.
Mic
May 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Unsubtle. I wanted to like it, but quit about 50 pages in.
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • Transgression
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Last Night Another Soldier
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Countdown: The Liberators
  • Gifts of War
  • Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure: The Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • Battle for Iwo Jima
  • The Leader and the Damned
  • Summer Heat
  • Tombstoning
  • Island Madness
  • Gods Go Begging
I live a nomadic existence with my wife Frances, and son Jacob. For now we're living in Norwich. I spent the first 10 years out of college in the music business chasing record deals and the next 12 years in the computer games business as a graphic artist and eventually a games designer. For those of you who like their computer games, here's some of the titles I've worked on:
Waterworld, Evolva, The
More about Alex Scarrow...