Start by marking “The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #6)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  307,847 Ratings  ·  8,854 Reviews
Alternate cover ISBN 0006716679

The whole adventure begins when Digory and Polly find themselves in eccentric Uncle Andrew's secret study. But when Uncle Andrew tricks Polly into touching the magic ring, she vanishes into the Other World. Digory is aghast, and determisn immediately to go in search of her. Not only does he find Polly but together they listen to Aslan's song
Published February 1983 by Collins (first published May 2nd 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Nephew, please sign up.

The Witch Woman For me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of…moreFor me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

That means, that you should read "The Magicans Nephew" first.

(I, myself, read in this order...)(less)
Jorge
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

J.G. Keely
Suffers from the same problems as Lewis' other books, both his children's fantasy and his pokes at theology: Lewis' worldview is not sophisticated, and his sense of psychology has a large blind spot. However, it's not his faith that is the problem--it certainly wasn't a problem for Donne or Milton.

Lewis is simply unable to put himself in another's shoes, which is very problematic for a writer or a theologian. He cannot understand the reasons or motivations for why someone would do something he c
Justin
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's mildly embarrassing that I've lived almost 32 years and I've only read one book from the Narnia series. Well, I guess I've read two now, but I feel like I should have read those a long time ago. As an adult, it's difficult to even rate this book fairly because the adult version of myself wants to be all critical and make comments about how this isn't Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, but it's not supposed to be. And that's fine with me.

Is this the first book in the series! Is it the sixth
P
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics
“No great wisdom can be reached without sacrifice.”

I loved the narration of The Magician's Nephew, it's clear, imaginative, and addicting. This book took me book to the time when I was sitting and listening to my grandma's tales. She always told me about folklores. I can still remember the story about there's a ghost hiding in the closet, it made me so scared and never ever wanted to open the closet alone again.

This book literally made me feel like that. I kept wondering why I did and figured
Manny
My autistic-spectrum son Jonathan is fascinated by the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He wants to know what her motivation is. "Why is she always so angry?" he asks. "Why does she hate Aslan? Who is she like?" These are good questions. I have suggested that he should read The Magician's Nephew, but Jonathan only reads the books he wants to read and ignores recommendations. A pity, I would like to discuss it with him.

The White Witch is the best character in the series, and i
Dannii Elle
I have owned this beautiful set of illustrated hardback editions of these books since childhood and am only now getting around to reading them. After reading this spellbinding first installment I am so mad at myself that I have missed out on entering this world for so long.

I decided to begin reading this series in chronological rather than publication order (as per the numbers on my books) and I am so glad I did. This brilliantly sets up the rest of the series without giving any spoilers of what
Eyebright
Dec 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: classics, 2008-books
Despite the fact that The Magicians Nephew is the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia, strangely, it is frequently overlooked. People skip straight ahead to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and then, at a later date come back to this book.

Personally, I like this book just as well as any others in the series. I love to see how everything got started, the lamp post, the wardrobe, the White Witch. Not to mention the beautiful allegory of Creation. The Magician's Nephew also has good morals
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6), C.S. Lewis
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ژانویه سال 2002 میلای
عنوان: ماجراهای نارنیا 6: خواهرزاده جادوگر؛ نویسنده: کلاویو استیپلز لوئیس 1898 - 1963 ؛ مترجم: امید اقتداری 1330 ؛ منوچهر کریم زاده 1328؛ کتابهای کیمیا، تهران خیابان ولی عصر، بالاتر از میدان ونک، شماره 133؛ چاپ نخست 1379، هفت جلد در 1368 ص؛ جلد ششم در شش و 172 ص؛ شابک: دوره هفت جلدی 9647100116؛ چاپ سوم 1386؛ شابک: 9647100108؛ موضوع: داستانهای کودکان برای کودکان از نویسندگان انگلیسی - قرن 20 م
مترج
Deborah
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - of all ages
Mario
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
I really enjoyed reading this one. Fun and fast read, and I also loved reading about how it all started. And even though I noticed a lot of connections with Christianity, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I just enjoyed the story in general.

I think this is probably my favorite, right after Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis is one of those books I read just because. Because I’d read The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe when I was a kid. Because I always wondered what exactly Narnia was. Because I’d watched all the Narnia movies with my kids. Because it was sitting on my son’s shelf collecting dust and it had a number one written on it: i.e. first book of the series. So because of all those reasons, I wiped the dust off of it and read it.

This b
Annie
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

Even though The Magician’s Nephew was written as the sixth book of the Narnia series, the story predates The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Seeing as this served as the prelude to the series, I chose to begin with this. Lewis himself is known to have shown a slight preference to this order of reading, rather than in the order of publication. And the reason to why I have chosen to start reading a children’s book now relates to the arrival of a very tiny human being in the Paul household, exact

Alexander Ayala
El sobrino del mago es un libro maravilloso, lleno de magia, de valores, de reflejos de una realidad actual, que me sorprende que se haya escrito hace años.

Es una saga especial y confió a los padres estos libros para que se los lean a sus hijos, porque es de suma importancia que entiendan el mensaje, y los símbolos que tiene, además que el estilo es muy fresco y sencillo de ser interpretado.

Nunca es tarde para leer las crónicas, siempre encuentras cosas diferentes, siempre te diviertes y nunca
Nadine Brandes
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this to hubby. He is now, officially, a Narnian.
AnnaMarie
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was so beautiful.

Favorite quotes/parts:
"He put on a very high, shiny, stiff collar of the sort that made you hold your chin up all the time. He put on a white waistcoat with a pattern on it and arranged his watch chain across the front . . . He took his eye-glass, with the thick black ribbon, and screwed it into his eye; then he looked at himself in the mirror.
Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind. At this moment Uncle Andrew was b
Danny Phanton
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, despierta, ama, piensa, habla!

Me gustó mucho, el libro se me hizo super rápido de leer y la historia de cómo se formó Narnia es simplemente maravillosa.

Polly y Digory son geniales, los ame muchísimo juntos, tan chicos y lindos descubriendo juntos sus aventuras y sus peleas debes en cuando, me encantaron.(view spoiler)

Muy entretenido, fácil de leer y que te va ade
Marie
I loved the Chronicles of Narnia as a child and was excited to read this with my 8 year old son. As a child, I thought it was so magical and amazing that these children got to escape to different worlds. As an adult, I now see the parallels to the bible, and the messages it is intending to teach. The end of the book becomes a retelling of sorts of the story of the creation story from the bible. I must say my remembrance of the book was that of a 5 star read, but in re-reading it, I can only give ...more
Annabeth
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this was a really great reread! I noticed so many things I didn't when reading this as a kid, mainly the religious symbolisms of Aslan, the Witch, uncle Andrew etc.
A short but very enjoyable story :)
Kimberley doruyter
this one should really be read before the others.
it's a wonderful book to read to your children and give them a love for books for life.
Luke Taylor
So what is The Magician’s Nephew?

description

What is the sunrise? What is the miracle of spring surviving winter? What is the shape-shifting of the moon or the sound of fresh snow fallen upon the earth?

You might just say it's Creation.

Or you might say it’s magic.

So I say, as a writer and a man who will forever be bound to the incessant need to communicate what I see (imaginary or otherwise) through the use of written words, that it is the magic of creation; that beautiful moment of spontaneous freedom so cl
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipinos group
Shelves: childrens, series
I really liked how C. S. Lewis imagined how those things that he earlier introduced in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe came into existence: the kingdom of Narnia, the professor, the witch, the wardrobe and the lamp-post. Wiki says that Lewis wrote this right after publishing that first book (in order of publication) but it took him 6 years to finish it. That's probably the reason why this became Book 6 (again in order of publication).

I am glad that I've read this as my third book and not th
Erin Clemence
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Magician’s Nephew” is by all accounts, the sixth book in “The Chronicles of Narnia” series. However, the anthology I am lucky enough to own of the Great Lewis’ works, has this novel as the first story, with a description that it is “the order the author would want the books to be in.” It makes sense too really, as “Nephew” tells the story of how Narnia originated, and how it was first discovered.
I picked up this novel and re-read it after having a challenging (to say the least) few weeks.
Jamie
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I originally read this many years ago as a child.

This is one of my favorites in the entire series. It is the creation and beginning of Narnia. It ties so much of the story together and really lets you know who and what the queen is. And just how powerful Aslan is.

Meet Diggory and Polly as the journey to other worlds. The forest of pools is amazing and I wish we got to see some of the other worlds!I love these two characters. From their attic explorations, to naive child-like mistakes. And the u
Apokripos
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: C. S. Lewis and Kid's Fiction
Recommended to Apokripos by: the "Voice"
The Creation of Narnia
(A Book Review of The Magician’s Nephew by C. S. Lewis)

For readers who have started their journey in the magical land of Narnia by means of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (and subsequent books in the series following the original order by publication), one can’t help but wonder how had this fantastical realm ruled by a majestic lion and inhabited by talking animals, fauns, dryads and naiads, along with equally ghastly creatures, came to be.

Previous instalments would
Micheline
Well isn't this a pleasant surprise! I should explain:I have been struggling for quite awhile with this series. Having not gone to an English speaking school, I never read The Chronicles of Narnia growing up. I have to admit I discovered the film versions first. Then,I attempted to read it right after 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe' came out, but at that time, I had a hard time with C.S.Lewis' style. He tends to constantly insert the author’s voice, and I found it broke the fantasy bubb ...more
Rinda Elwakil
لأجل نارنيا..
Ziba
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine Alice jumping in and out of her rabbit hole, with the Ring of Mordor at her disposal where she could transport herself between space and time interspersed with the formation of Noha's Ark -on land - that's pretty much the Magicians Nephew for you. I loved it. And knowing where that magical wardrobe from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe comes from was amazing.
David Sarkies
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: fantasy
Narnia's Creation Myth
8 August 2013

I simply love the writings of C.S. Lewis. Okay, I may not necessarily agree with everything he writes (and I would be an idiot if I did) but I have always found his works, whether they are children's books (such as this one) or deep theological tracts (such as The Weight of Glory) to be incredibly well written, almost as if he were a master of the English language. In fact as I read this particular work it simply struck me how well he was able to use the Engli
Ferdy
May 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really DULL - the writing, the story, the main characters were all utterly boring. It was a struggle to get through so short a book - I honestly thought it would never end.

The protagonists, Polly and Digory, had very little personality — they've got to be two of the blandest characters I've ever read. Them talking like adults instead of like kids didn't help matters… Maybe all kids back in the day sounded like that? Their adventures and discoveries in other worlds should have been at least somew
Xime García
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reseñados
ASLAN TE AMO, SÉ MI MASCOTA, TE DARÉ TODAS LAS MANZANAS PLATEADAS QUE QUIERAS ok, no.

description

Fue una relectura preciosa. No puedo creer que hace ocho años este libro no me gustaba, incluso no logré terminarlo. ¿Cómo es que no pude gustar de esta historia? La forma de narrar de Lewis es sencilla y a la vez poética. Describe las situaciones más mágicas de manera que uno pueda sentirlas a flor de piel. Fue fácil sumergirme en estos mundos fantásticos que Polly y Digory visitaban, fue más sencillo que imag
Around the Year i...: The Magician's Nephew, by C. S. Lewis 1 12 May 04, 2017 08:00PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis -Restarting April 8th 2017 315 164 Apr 30, 2017 08:16PM
Magician's Nephew Review 1 6 Apr 19, 2017 06:36AM
Hello 21 137 Mar 12, 2017 07:54PM
British Literatur...: Novel Review: Magicians Nephew 1 1 Mar 12, 2017 05:50PM
  • The Princess and Curdie
  • Many Waters (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #4)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
  • Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Roverandom
  • Annison's Risk (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #3)
  • Greenwitch (The Dark Is Rising, #3)
  • The Iron Sceptre (Archives of Anthropos #4)
  • The Great Brain Does it Again (Great Brain #7)
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis...

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” 1549 likes
“Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.” 1442 likes