Start by marking “Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde” as Want to Read:
Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde

Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From the critically acclaimed author of The Memory Cathedral comes perhaps the most powerful, haunting, and unforgettable novel of the Civil War—or any war—ever written. Provocative, poetic, and disturbing, it introduces us to a young narrator, Mundy McDowell, whose voice rivals any in literature, bringing poignantly to life the surreal horrors of battle and its spiritual ...more
Published (first published November 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde

Karla
Sadly, this excursion into the lit'ry Civil War didn't go as I'd hoped. The premise was interesting - a boy gets traumatized when accidentally stumbling into a battle skirmish & latches onto some vision of a ghost dog & believes himself invisible/dead - but the character's voice was lit'ry in the sense of being packed full of run-on sentences & linguistic quirkiness, sometimes repetitious. Believable for the character's education level & circumstances, but tiresome to read.

DNF
Ryan Lantzy
when I first looked at the silent I thought it was going to be a book that I would really enjoy, turns out that I was wrong. there was nothing really wrong with the story I just did not enjoy it like I thought that I would have. I believe that the book is too long meaning they carry out the story to much there are a lot of things that didn't need to be added to the book that were. That is the main reason that I thought that the book was a boring read. If you need a book were something grabs your ...more
Steven Paulsen
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Silent is a wonderful book. Masterfully written, for me it had echoes of J G Ballard because Mundy McDowell, the protagonist, simultaneously traverses the strange war torn landscape of the American Civil War and his own 'inner landscape'. It is poetic and haunting. I had read it before but this time I listened to the audiobook and very much enjoyed Chris Kipiniak's narration and interpretation. Highly recommended.
Krista
Feb 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Silent takes place in Virginia during the Civil War. The main character (Mundy) witnesses a tragedy and then leaves home. Mundy travels all around and meets many people; this book is a story of his travels. Long descriptions make the read boring and slow. I prefer books with a more exciting and entertaining plot.
Ryan Petty
Jun 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How this got published I don't know. I tried to get into it, but the story was lacking so I only read about half. I know it is written from the perspective of a 14 year old boy, but that shouldn't be an excuse for poor writing. I wouldn't recommend this book at all for a Civil War book.
Laura Tims
Sep 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to stay interested in but forced myself to finish it hoping it would have a really great ending. Which it did not. In fact,I don't even understand the ending. Would not recommend.
Larry
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: civil-war
I was looking for a good Civil War fiction book as a change of pace and googled some top CW fiction lists. This book appeared on several so I thought I'd give it a try. It was published in 1999 and although Amazon sells it, finding it through most libraries is hit and miss. Had to order it from another system.
But I'm sure glad I read it. Set during the war in the Shenandoah valley, it is the story of a boy who witnesses the murder of his family and as a result is struck dumb and dazed. He wander
Rena Sherwood
Best fiction about the American Civil War that I've ever read. Ok, that's a bit like saying this is the best rock band in Normal, Illinois but it's still the best fiction book about the Civil War that I've ever read.

description

I had read anthologies edited by Jack Dann but was surprised to see that he's a talented and imaginative author in his own right (write.) The Silent is a book that does not fall neatly into any categories -- except, perhaps, magical realism. There's plenty of sex and violence, though
Kathleen McRae
The Silent is the story of a young 14 yr old boy who lost his parents and everything he has ever known during the civil war.He experiences things so awful and he becomes so traumatized that his speech leaves him.the story chronicles the horrific events of the civil war thru the eyes of a young boy with PTSD.This is based on a actual person but the story is the invention of the author.Another story that points out the wrongness of glorifying!
Kevin Irwin
The Silent is the story of a Virginian adolescent during the American Civil War. The reader goes with Mundy on all of his so called "adventures." The plot lacks excitement. A long book is fine if it is detailed, but The Silent is not. Jack Dann essentially rewrote a duller version of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn set in the Civil War. I do not recommend this book for average readers who are seeking an easy read.
Jen
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the idea of this book -- a 13-year-old boy gets caught up in the horrors of the Civil War. It is written as if it is a journal, set down to paper at a later date, telling of the boy's experiences in 1862. The book itself is brutal, which is to be expected for the subject matter. But beware -- it is very graphic, not just of the dead but also of rape. Ultimately, I found the beginning of the book brutal and the end unrewarding.
Kate