Start by marking “Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)” as Want to Read:
Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)

Asterix and the Great Divide

(Astérix #25)

Can there ever be a happy ending for star-crossed lovers Melodrama and Histionix, whose fathers are rival chieftains of the same village? The only hope is to call in Asterix, Obelix and Getafix to sort out the feud, the intriguing of the sinister traitor Codfix, and the military might of Rome. Watch out for some interesting new magic potions...
Published November 15th 2001 by Asterix (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix and the Great Divide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix and the Great Divide

Start your review of Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
Nicolo Yu
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I've always preferred my Asterix to be done by both Goscinny and Uderzo but seeing this volume on clearance was just too hard to ignore, so I bought it. This volume was the second Uderzo did solo after Goscinny passed away and there isn't any noticeable difference. I've only read a handful of the books and I feel need to read more but I guess I could say that it still feels like Asteriz. Uderzo didn't try too much to deviate from what made Asteriz beloved to generations of readers.

It wasn't a
Kimberley doruyter
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
kinda like shakespeare but less tragic.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Asterix and the Great Divide (Astérix #25), Albert Uderzo
itchy
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ys
codfix: i'm from majestix, rightful chief of the right side of our village. i'm his alter ego and right hand.
centurion umbrageous cumulonimbus: and this is my left foot! be off, or it'll alter your ego.

we'll miss you, rené
Christine
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Best retelling of Romeo and Juliet ever!
Biondatina
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A Shakespearian comic - parody of the "Romeo and Juliet" story. Ours friends with the Druid Panoramix come to a Gallic village which is divided left and right part by a deep ditch. Each part is ruled by a different competitor chief while his daughter Melodrama and his son Histionix are in love!!! The two rival chiefs have to be convinced to see the great good and stop the "Great Divide"... but before the solution....the Roman Army is involved, the pirates are involved and a very "fishy" guy...
Luis Tormento
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A village in Gaul is politically and physically divided by a deep ditch because of a leadership dispute between rival chiefs Cleverdix and Majestix. Efforts to overcome their differences, first through dialogue and then through battle, only widen the rift. Majestix's fishy advisor Codfix, suggests intervention by the local Roman garrison will enable Majestix to become the sole chief, in return for which, Codfix wants to marry his daughter, Melodrama. Majestix agrees to the plan, unaware that ...more
Michael
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of pretty creative puns and very well drawn, Asterix was a lot of fun. It's a little young for me; if I had kids, I'd probably buy the whole series for them, but I don't see myself reading much more of it for my own sake. Though it's still one of the most fun and engaging comics I've read.
Luciana Nasser
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This and the the Cleopatra one are the best ones.
Linli
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, kat, tim, dan
One of my favourite Asterix titles. I like the take on the Romeo and Juliet story. And who doesn't like what happens to the Romans when they drink the magic potion!
Pramod
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
everything was so fishy. amazing pun, sarcasm, irony
Jc
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A Gaulish version of Romeo and Juliet.
Anna
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this one, Asterix, Obelix and Getafix help a village that has been divided down the middle. Predictable, light, chauvinistic and stereotypical but still one of the better Asterix books.
Jerome
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this parody of “Romeo and Juliet” (with elements of Lord of the Rings present) a Gallic village is divided by a deep ditch, with each section ruled by a different chief. Both chiefs hate each other, while their children are engaged in a secretive romance. One of the chiefs, Cleverdix, calls for the aid of Vitalstatistix to help settle the dispute, and Asterix, Obelix, and Getafix are sent to see it done. At the same time, a creepy fish-like creature named Codefix is manipulating the other ...more
Karhum Ghassan
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The whole series is very funny and engrossing. The premise is that of a tiny community in ancient Gaul that has firmly resisted the occupation of the Roman Empire now all of Gaul is conquered by the Romans except for the small village surround by several roman camps, thanks to a magic potion produced/provided by the druid that grants outstanding strength. In all-ways, I learned quite a bit about the Roman army through this series. It has been translated into a countless number of languages, but ...more
Kevin
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is the first of Asterix comics I've read, and the whole series is very funny and engrossing. The premise is that of a tiny community in ancient Gaul that has firmly resisted the occupation of the Roman Empire thanks to a magic potion produced by the local druid that grants exceptional strength. In retrospect, I learned quite a bit about the Roman military through this series. It has been translated into a huge number of languages, but they're almost not worth reading in anything but the ...more
Bruce
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, graphic-novel
Asterix the Great Divide – an excellent companion to Asterix and Caesar’s Gift, this one analogizes two-party governance to a Romeo & Juliet-style feud, as Druid Getafix calls upon a village that’s literally split right down the middle by competing co-chieftains.
Matthew Hunter
One of the better Goscinny-less attempts by Uderzo. Goscinny's absence still shows, however. Political satire? Weak. Word and name puns? Weak. One-line knee-slappers? Slapless. The attempt to play on themes from Romeo and Juliet? Meh. Artwork? First-rate. It took Goscinny to give that artwork some soul-depth, however. A somewhat fun, uninspiring read.
Alex Wilson
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: when-i-was-7
This book was about two people that wanted to marry each other but there was this guy that was mean and he was half human and half fish. He captured the chief's daughter who was one of the people who loved the other person. She whacked the person in the face when it was gonna offer her flowers because she knew it was gone whack her on the face. It was fish guy.
Frederick Tan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Can there ever be a happy ending for star-crossed lovers Melodrama and Histionix, whose fathers are rival chieftains of the same village? Asterix and Obelix again have to do some ingenuous maneuver to convince the rival chieftains to agree to disagree for the greater good of the star cross lovers.
Meghan
Aug 03, 2011 added it
Reading the Pendragon Cycle reminded me of these comics, as they have some thematic overlap with the Roman Empire, Gaul, Britannia, bards, druids, etc. I own a couple of these, but read tons of them at the library as a kid. Loving the wordplay and names all over again. :)
Amalie
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Well it's good,I suppose I'm not sure though. Not one of my favourites.

An allegory of the Berlin Wall in the guise of a Romeo and Juliet tale.

There's a lot of repeating ideas, jokes, I don't know some how, it lacks the originality in the plot but Uderzo's art is still priceless.
Linda
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Sian
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ho..ho...hi..hi...ha..ha..
Dimitri
Jun 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the first attempt of Uderzo to go solo. Not bad but he can not reach Goscini's grandeur. Subsequent stories get worse.
Derek Baldwin
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better Asterix stories, with some sharp satire that goes beyond the usual silly names (great as those are).
Greg
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to laugh and laugh at the title of this one alone. Great story.
Donna
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Asterix meets Romeo and Juliet - a great concept!
Jayaram
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Asterix and especially Obelix ath their best..just think of a romantic Obelix..slightly heart-broken..
Mariana
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The classic story of a forbidden love (more or less). I can't say it's one of my favorites but I still loved it. Although I wish they'd have gone to another country, it still is one of my favorites.

• Obelix and Co. (Asterix, #23)
  • Asterix in Corsica (Asterix, #20)
  • Asterix and the Picts (Asterix, #35)
  • Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (Asterix, #18)
  • Asterix at the Olympic Games (Asterix, #12)
  • Le Daily Star (Lucky Luke #53)
  • Der Papyrus des Cäsar (Asterix, #36)
  • How Obelix Fell into the Magic Potion When He Was a Little Boy (Asterix Comic)
  • Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin, #12)
  • Le Nid des Marsupilamis (Spirou et Fantasio, #12)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Asterix
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • The Complete Guide to Asterix
  • Flight 714 to Sydney (Tintin, #22)
  • The Seven Crystal Balls (Tintin, #13)
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
Albert Uderzo is a legendary French artist and illustrator, best known for his collaborations with the late René Goscinny on series such as Asterix.

Astérix (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)