Start by marking “Boots for the Gentleman (Steamcraft & Sorcery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Boots for the Gentleman (Steamcraft & Sorcery, #1)

Boots for the Gentleman (Steamcraft & Sorcery #1)

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Hired by a mysterious faerie gentleman to steal seemingly worthless artifacts, Querrilous Knotte is seen as a traitor by the humans of Halcyon. But as long as he’s getting paid, Querry doesn’t mind. When his client makes a cryptic comment about a certain house, Querry contacts his old flame Reg—a former street rat who now works in the Royal Archives—to learn if the propert ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 320 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Boots for the Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boots for the Gentleman

julio
May 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
TL;DR: as full of promise as disappointment.

I feel betrayed by whoever edited this book. Even the author bios have subject-verb issues.

But then, when your authors appear to have been making shit up as they went along, there can't possibly be that much an editor can do.

Because blithely winging it is not exactly the ideal approach to an attempt at melding AU Europe, a steampunk London that openly intermingles with Faerie, and the kind of sorcery that involves arcane mumbling and wiggling your fing
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I want to state for the record before I go on with my review that anything I write is my opinion (naturally). Others might feel differently than I do especially if they compare what they read to what I've shelved this book under. They'll most likely completely disagree with half those shelves but I feel they pretty much explain the book from my eyes.

With that said, this book, honestly, blew me away. There were, of course, things I didn't like about it but the world-building and the deta
Deja Dei
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a wild ride! 4.5, I think, but rounded up for being so creative and original. I really haven't read anything like this before. It's more of an action-adventure story than a romance, just with gay main characters. This won't be for everyone, because it is really different.

First, the characters aren't typical heroes. Querry, the character whose POV the story is told, is a thief, a bit of a slut, and at times so reckless he's almost silly. That's who he is though, and he just won't bow to a
Lady*M
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I approached this book very cautiously because I've seen several lukewarm reviews (before Deja Dei's which convinced me to read it). Also, I like both steampunk and fantasy, but finding steampunk that satisfies me is rare and there are so many fantasy books out there that they started to blur together.

After reading the book, I can say that it was better than I expected. The world building was detailed, especially clockworks and how they functioned. I also liked the overlapping of the "real" and
Тамрико
What a mess this book is, starting with the title - what's with the boots? We never find out! O.o

But that's not the only glitch here, too many things don't make any kind of sense to me. My personal pet peeve is Querry's inability to hold onto any kind of weapon. The poor guy always loses it within the first two minutes of a fight.

Very chaotic writing, plot twists and turns to keep you as confused as possible.

Fadia Pierre
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
They say you cant judge a book by its cover. With this particular book it was the cover that drew me to it. If you are into steam punk, adventure, Fae and magic then this book is for you. Really enjoyed this book. This book is well written and plotted although its in another world I cant help but to relate to the characters. The biggest suprize for me was the relationship dynamic and the growth that goes on amongst the characters.
Maxine Marsh
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk, erotica
I'm on a steampunk erotica reading streak and this is one of the best I've encountered so far! The world is elaborate, the characters incredibly real and the story is packed with action and adventure. This book is unique, with great characters and excellent writing. This is a threesome partner story, but the characters fit well together, each complimenting the others' strengths and weaknesses, and a thrilling erotic element. A great read! I heard there's a sequel one the way, can't wait.
Eisheth
Charming and engaging steampunk fantasy. Good world-building and interesting characters. Really creative applications of magic and steampunk-y bits. But the characters are rather too lovey-mushy for my liking, and polyamorous relationships are really not my cuppa.

Beautiful cover art!
Pia Veleno
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting and detailed world-building, mixed with mystery, love & lust, fae & magic, and the beauty of highly intricate clockwork mechanisms. This is a wonderful creation, and I cross my fingers that the sequel could possibly be just as breath-taking.
Octobercountry
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This alternate universe tale is an interesting mix of steampunk (with the focus on a society that runs on various clockwork mechanisms) and urban/paranormal fantasy (with the addition of the fae---portions of the story are set in the fairy realm). I think it all holds together fairly well, though I really would have liked to see just a little more world-building. I would have liked to learn a little more of the background of Querry and Reg; there’s no mention, for instance, of how on earth Reg m ...more
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 1/2 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

I love these types of books because the imagination and descriptions that go into making this come to life is brilliant. Querrilous Knotte survives by doing odd jobs for other people…oh alright he’s a thief for hire but he does have a kind heart… well kinda. He finds trouble in a derelict house and needs Reg’s help. Reginald Whitney is an ex-street rat who was adopted by a wealthy couple; he is facing up t
S.A.
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
The authors might hate this word, but this was a charming read. The descriptions were beautiful and three dimensional. Even when the characters swerved out of believability (no one can survive naked in a snowdrift for three days sans explanation), something came along to delight the reader to distraction.

Poor Querry avoided death so many times I started to think he was part cat, but there was always an explanation about his escape. Still, one too many times dragged at the action. Midway through
Joël
Oct 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I was about half way and had already had numerous instances where I hoped the book would end soon, when I gave up reading any further.
It suffered from what I call convenience: Things that happened that felt too easy, or where I didn't feel the struggle and emotions. Like it was glazed over, of no consequense, while I know this could not have been the intension.
Then there were the numerous listings of things that were in the scenery, or explanations/stories at the wrong times. Both threw me from
SueM
Okay, this turned out to go in directions I hadn't expected, and I ended up being somewhat disappointed in it. However, some of that is my personal taste, so others may not mind the things I didn't really enjoy.

The world building was interesting and drew me in immediately. It's regency/Victorian England with the addition of magic and more advanced (compared with reality) mechanical contraptions. There is also the addition of the fae within the city of London. My initial reaction to Querry's cha
Atika  Patel
Mar 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There were so many missed opportunities with this story. Here is a steampunk London mixed in with faeries out in the open, and we hardly ever get an explanation of this world.

The relationship is also a problem. It is hard to write polyamorous relationships and I understand that. Polyamorous relationships requires you to build a connection between three people, which requires twice as much thought to characterisation and dialogue. There was a lack of connection between Querry, Reg, and Frolic. Re
Stonemagpie
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, steampunk
With fantasy and sci-fi you can create the most insane and fantastic worlds imaginable... as long as you keep the details grounded in reality.

The main protagonist, Querry, has an incredible abilty to shake off anything that ailes him.

He suffers from a fever that nearly kills him. No problem. He gets captured and beaten heavily every day for a least a week. Immediately has sex. There is no way this character didn't have a few broken bones at least. Repeatedly gets knocked unconcious. No ill effe
Natalie
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book
Gabbo Parra
I finished this book a couple of days ago with mixed feelings and decided to wait before writing a review.

I liked this book and I wanted to like it more but there were so many WTF moments preventing me from loving it that I don't know how to explain my emotional limbo.

Even worse, after so many days none of these characters truly resonates in my memory. Frolic's beauty lingers somewhere in the back of my mind, taunting me and I look at the cover and say "Damn." But beyond that, Querry comes as a
Leta Blake
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Rounded up! Review to come when at a proper keyboard. Loved this book!

Edit for review: These two books by Augusta Li and Eon de Beaumont, Boots for the Gentleman and A Grimoire for the Baron, are good, old-fashioned fun akin to the adventures serials of yore--sans the serial aspect. The combination of steampunk and magic was charming, and the stories took me to unexpected places, and on adventures I would never have imagined on my own. It was fun and happy-making to read books where the tho
Suze
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me a high 2+* read.
I like a little bit of steampunk in a story, just like a little magic or I may enjoy a little paranormal etc. this was full immersion in the genre so a bit out of my easy reading zone.
It was a fairly long read with full mechanicals and a very trippy fae town! Querry seemed to attract trouble and I never really felt I knew Reg. Frolic seemed a simple soul but possessed of great empathy too.
The story wove about a lot and had its mad professor who came to a suitably bad end.
Kathleen
Aug 21, 2011 marked it as dnf
NOTE: My shelving this on my dnf shelf has nothing to do with the book I was enjoying it when real life intervened and I had to put it down. I always have a lot of trouble picking back up with something I put down in the middle, no matter the reason. Someday I will pick it back up and read it but I just needed it off my currently reading shelf (OCD much). I am not putting up a rating at this time. I will rate when I get back to it and finish it.
Joan
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Fascinating worldbuilding, and quirky characters. However, the book has a rambling, episodic plot that never really gets its act together. Also, I had a big problem with the "hero" constantly getting knocked unconscious and losing all his weapons and gear. Perpetually-exasperated Reg would've been a much better choice for viewpoint character and protagonist, since Querry and Frolic (interesting as they are), are not very relatable.
Linasjuodas
While overall this is a rather good book, set in a well thought out world, bustling with steampunk, some fae magic, and characters that are compelling because they are not always perfect, I felt that the plot suffered from a few to many timely coincidences.
Kristy Maitz
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Both Authors done good job, but I still didn't like it, to be honest. There are to many different characters appearing and main players stop being important. I lost interest in book very early in the story.
Janice
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story. It faultered a bit at the end, but I'll definitely be reading the next in the series. Querry, Frolic and Reg are so endearing and I love the cover - I have this thing for anima.
SheReadsALot
Free on Dreamspinners today for an hour only. 5:30p-6:30p EST

Roclaf Alter -Ego
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This book should probably be 3.5 stars. It's a fun read with a good story underlying the M/M romance.
Ayanna
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I still don't get it.

I felt quite off-kilter the entire time I was reading this. Still, I rather liked the universe, if nothing else...
Sala Bim
Apr 01, 2014 marked it as not-for-me
Shelves: menage
Love that cover though.
Ingwalde
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Water Waltz (Elemental Attraction, #1)
  • Wayward Grace
  • Brown-Eyed Devil (Brown-Eyed Devil #1)
  • The Once and Future Love
  • Monsters under the Bed (Lifting the Veil, #4)
  • All Alone in a Sea of Romance
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • No Quarter (Archangel Chronicles #1)
  • Servitude
  • To The Max (To The Max #1)
  • Masters & Boyd
  • Loving Luki Vásquez (Vásquez & James, #1)
  • The Isle of... Where? (Isle of Wight, #1)
  • Thick as Thieves (Thick as Thieves, #1)
  • Catalyst (Argo, #1)
  • Indie Radio 113.9
  • Mechanical Magic (The Laitha Chronicles #1)
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)

Gus's Books are available at Dreamspinner Press, Silver Publishing, , Yaoi Press, and Storm Moon Press.

Gus has much love for readers and book enthusiasts. Communication and friendship is encouraged!

Website: www.BooksByEonandGus.com
More about Augusta Li...

Steamcraft & Sorcery (2 books)
  • A Grimoire for the Baron (Steamcraft & Sorcery, #2)