Start by marking “Signs and Wonders” as Want to Read:
Signs and Wonders

Signs and Wonders

Most children are told they can be doctors, lawyers — even astronauts. Not Annie Grace. Since childhood she’s been raised to be a miracle worker, capable of healing all that ails the followers of her father’s faith-healing crusade. Fame and riches flowed.

Now 20 years later and unable to remember any miracles, Annie goes through the motions of running her late father’s mini
Published July 31st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Signs and Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signs and Wonders

Janice Richardson
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Books that leave you with questions, not answers, are my favourite reads. I am not being told what to think, or feel. Signs and Wonders is such a book.
Having chosen not to read reviews or look at ratings, this is my take on Adena's work. It read a bit like Frank Shaeffer's And God Said, Billy!
A woman born into the evangelical, magical thinking culture. The stirrings of a conscience. It is a fanciful read, entertaining, light, with a depth of insight only a survivor or an insider of the evangel
Lori Henrich
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I started this story. I have had it for awhile and forgot what the premise of the book was so I bravely started reading. To my surprise it was pretty good.

Miss Annie has been apart of Grace ministries for as long as she can remember. Her father could fill an auditorium with thousands of people but what he was doing was mostly a scam. Annie did have a gift when she was a little girl, but it was only there for a short time. It went away as quickly as it seem
Trish
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Odd little book, and I do mean little - it was actually a novella. Written well enough that I read the whole thing rather than putting it down, but not enough substance to recommend to someone else.
Jestine Myers
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It tells the tale of a faith healer's daughter and her attempt to keep her father's ministry going despite the fact that she knows people aren't being healed. She attempts to navigate through being in charge while wrestling with ghosts of her father's success while being prosecuted by a local attorney for fraud. I really enjoyed reading this, because the characters all think they know her motivations yet she is more complicated than they give her credit for. I felt th ...more
Carla Burnham
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Possibilities

This story line definitely had possibilities but fell short of what it might have been. There wasn't enough background information about the supporting characters to understand why they did what they did. That made it, for me, difficult to follow or to really care about the main character, Annie.
Dauphne
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute
LAWonder10
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
What an honest, wonderful book concerning how sometimes good intentions can begin right but end up very false and dishonest. It is also a very controversial novella.

Reverend Grace discovered special gifts in his very young daughter - gifts he could commercialize on. But before he was able to exploit them, they seemed to disappear. Nevertheless, he decided to build his ministry on this premise anyway. His daughter, Annie, trusted her daddy and submitted to his wishes. Her brother, Benjamin, refus
Sara James
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting. It is a Christian novel that in my opinion non-Christians could read and also enjoy, as it deals with a faith healer who is believed to be fraudulent. The content of Annie Grace's faith is rather lacking, which as a Christian, I eventually came to be bothered by, but a non-Christian will appreciate the lack of preachiness and much specific dialogue with God (ie, praying.)

The story was entertaining and although I liked the ending it was a bit abrupt, I thought. Yes, I
Emily
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Let me first start by saying this is not the usual type of book I review. As I'm sure most of you know. I was a little sceptical and nervous as my sister previously stated we grew up in the south and seeing these Spiritual healers, Evangelist (Grandfather and no not all of my family supported this.), as well as the baptists that I have known too. I tend to veer from this sort of thing as they are not always portrayed in a very kind light. I in no way defend them I was just raised by my family to ...more
Stephanie Dagg
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Signs and Wonders by Alex Adena is a fascinating book. Annie Grace is a fraudulent faith healer, although when she was a little girl, she once performed a miraculous healing. Her father, Daddy, exploited this and became a very rich man through healing roadshows.
Annie feels like a fraud. A ghost from the past rears its head - Annie faces prosecution for her part in a little girl’s death five years before. Two of her employees turn against her. A client secretly taperecords her making tactless re
Peggy Randall-Martin
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The storyline is well thought out and embraces a subject that has not been done to death - with a huge plus - it is also well written. Be sure to set aside a slot of time when you start to read "Signs and Wonders," because it truly is a book you will want to continue reading until you turn the last page. And it is not to be confused in any way with a movie by the same name.

Each character has a unique perspective on Annie and the evangelistic following created and nurtured by her father. In the w
Lynnette Phillips
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Alex Adena gently guides us through the story of Annie Grace, an evangelist working with her charlatan father since she was very young.

I found Annie’s story repellant at first; she had grown up the as the daughter of a con-artist and continued his ministry only because it was all she knew. As I kept reading though and her character developed she became a haunted guilt-ridden victim desperately trying to find a better way. Finally becoming rather beguiling once she has decided in which direction
Kitty Honeycutt
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"SIGNS AND WONDERS" BY ALEX ADENA

I loved this story, after growing up in the South and part of a Southern Baptist family it was a refreshing change from all the bad press that a lot of 'spiritual healers' get. This story shows the positive route and Annie Grace learns a valuable lesson from it all. In the end the people that are out to get her learn their own lesson in humility and realize that judging is not always a good idea.

What I loved most about this book is that after all those years tha
Annette Mardis
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
By ANNETTE MARDIS
While this novella is free for Kindle, that's no measure of the worth of this creative effort.
Too often, freebies are throwaways that I end up deleting from my e-reader after perusing just the first few graphs.
But when I started reading "Signs and Wonders," I didn't want to stop and ended up finishing 70 percent of it in one sitting.
It's a relatively breezy read, and Adena's style is straightforward, but he says a lot with the words he uses.
While the book does take a jaded a
Rhonda
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
It started out slow and I was wondering if i would even like this story but I did. I liked the ending but I wanted more.
Miss Annie travels to preach and faith heal. Annie has been part of her father's minastries since she was little. Her father died last year and she promised him she would stay. Annie was down sizing the engagements and her lawyer and accountant were not happy with her.
Annie drank scotch every night and she slept around .She was tired of fake healings she did. Her brother walked
Ann237
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was very intrigued with the book subject, of " FAITH HEALERS" , It is not a story line you find very often unless it is written with all the fire and brimstone, that would be a big turn off for an average person, Christians and Non Christians alike. This book is great for all walks. The author did a great job taking us on a journey with Annie who is the daughter of a con artist that goes around promoting Annie as a healer. Annie, is in a struggle, not really sure what she should do, because th ...more
Karla
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book~ I read this in one sitting as it was really short. I found myself wanting more, the story could have been expanded on but feel that the ending was good~ Great writing, good plot, characters were pretty well developed. This really is not a book for just Christians or believers. Anyone just may see that it's easy to become skeptical, and jaded in this world~ But really anything is possible if you just open your eyes and let yourself see things in a different light.

A beautiful stor
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I downloaded this as a free Kindle book and gave it a try. The writing was decent and the main character was compelling. The tension was decent, although I think it was more on the scale of a novella than a novel. If some of the interesting secondary characters were flushed out more, this actually could have been a really great book. It's not limited to a single view point, but the author didn't do much with the secondary viewpoints.

I do think the theology in the book was a bit sketchy--as in, i
Bob
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, religion
When a disillusioned bogus faith healer inherits her father's ministry and empire, things get confusing. She doesn't like or believe in what she's doing. Some of her staff turn against her. She's being indicted. And all of a sudden she's actually healing people. Interesting story line and fast moving and enjoyable to read. My problem with this book is the same problem i have with a lot of books today. There is no ending. No resolution. No tying up of loose ends. Instead, go buy the next book in ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was a surprise. At first it appeared as though I could predict where the short tale was taking me, I was wrong.

I saw the story tagged as a 'Christian Fiction.' Well, I guess it was, however, that label is selling the tale short as it is a message for all faiths to read.

We have an evangelist, Annie Grace on tour in Texas. She grew up in the ministry while her Father was the Minister. Once when she was a child a miracle healing took place involving the young child.

There is a surprise end
Lauri
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an easy read that had a poignant message. It was a faith-based book about someone who had nearly lost all of her faith in herself, yet she hadn't completely lost her faith in God. All the characters in the book were searching for something. Some were searching for redemption and others were searching for justice. Still others were searching for an easy payday or fifteen minutes of fame. It had a feel-good ending but made me wish the book was longer. I wasn't ready for the story to be ov ...more
Fiona
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Annie is the daughter of a "pastor" who runs Grace Ministries, after witnessing her healing powers as a young girl Billy decides this is an easy way to make money and puts her on stage to rake it in. Her power leaves her and a little girl whose parent bring her for healing dies. Years later Annie remains fulfilling her deceased father's wishes knowing what she is doing is wrong and when the district attorney decides to prosecute her for being a charlatan her power seems to return.
A short, simple
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Annie Grace has been a faith healer since the age of 5, though hasn't healed anyone since she was 5. Now her world feels like a sham, that is until her attorney and accountant turn on her . Annie soon realizes that there just might be a little more to her ability than she thought. Nice book and had a hard time putting it down .Christian overtones are not in your face so this made for a very niec read. A great way to spend an afternoon in the sun!!
Lena
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: all, to-be-sorted
This book is different. The theme is faith healing and charlatans. It's not something I would read but the storyline was interesting and when I started reading, the story kept my attention. I couldn't put the book down and it was read quickly. My rating is only 3/5 because I'm a bit of a skeptic. I won't say anything to spoil the story but you must give this book a try. Have an open mind.
Carrie Daws
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall, the story is well-written and enjoyable. It is a fairly quick read and I agree with others that it ends abruptly but appropriately. From a Biblical worldview, I have some of the same concerns as others in that the author wasn't clear on Annie's relationship to God which leaves it open to broad interpretation.
Jill
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Anne’s healing gift raises money in an evangelist setting and allows for a decadent lifestyle. She is indicted for fraud when the gift disappears and a child dies. The story appears to be a debate between Christian ministries, faith healers, believers, and non-believers and the money at stake rather than spiritual beliefs. The main character seemed superficial and shallow.
Terry Trahan
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Signs and Wonders! It truly makes you think about all of the charlatan healers on television and in the religious world. I loved how the author was able to keep Annie down to earth by portraying her as messed up and dysfunctional as a lot of us are! I can not wait to start reading Finding Grace, the continuation of Annie's story.
Tracey
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it
The story idea was a good one....I just wish it'd had been a bit more fleshed out. There was so much more that could've added depth to the story and characters. I very much appreciate the line of thinking, though--that someone who makes a mockery of God's name can repent and become a true Christian instead of a charlatan.
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Annie Grace is a miracle worker growing up, healing the sick and injured. Twenty years later she can't perform any more miracle and just wants to find her memories. She has to run her father's ministry and try to find her faith again. Suddenly miracles are happening aroud her again and she has to find the meaning of these signs from Him.
Karen
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I like how the author developed the main character of this book. It read like a made for TV movie. I just wish it was a little bit more "believable". However, it did keep my attention and I read it in a couple of days.
Christian Goodrea...: Signs and Wonders, by Alex Adena 2 7 Jun 10, 2013 02:31PM

• The Edge of Grace
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Contingency (Covenant of Trust #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Every Bush Is Burning
  • They Almost Always Come Home
  • Runaway Choices
  • Living With Fred (The Fred Books, #2)
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Steppin' Into the Good Life