Start by marking “Jew Vs Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry” as Want to Read:
Jew Vs Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry

Jew Vs Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry

Jew vs. Jew is Samuel G. Freedman's passionate story of the "struggle for the soul of American Jewry." Freedman believes that three fundamental questions are rending the American Jewish community today: "What is the definition of Jewish identity? Who decides what is authentic and legitimate Judaism? And what is the Jewish compact with America?" Exploring these questions le ...more
Published September 21st 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 10th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Jew Vs Jew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jew Vs Jew

Janet
Feb 07, 2010 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a novice on the subject of Jews. I’ve always known that Jesus was a Jew and that makes us all family of a sort, Christians and Jews. I believe in supporting Israel. I’ve often had a Jewish doctor. I have Jewish friends. It was the Israeli National website that I turned to on 9/11 to gain insight on how to protect my family from assorted terrorist weapons. One of my favorite documentaries is Raid on the Reactor: http://video.google.com/videoplay?doc...#

I find it comforting to know that Israe
Simcha Wood
Oct 23, 2011 Simcha Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jew vs. Jew provides a well-investigated and engaging account of the various cultural and theological struggles that have arisen within Judaism, and particularly within the Jewish-American community. Freedman brings his narrative and investigative journalistic skills to bear on a series of anecdotes that explore such issues within the Jewish community as conversion standards, intermarriage, the role of women in public ritual, the future of Israel and the Palestinians, and inter-denominational co ...more
Reb
Jul 13, 2008 Reb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jew-ish
the author thinks that Orthodox and liberal Judaism are on a course for serious schism, which he proves through a series of anecdotes (nicely written, quite generous in portrayal of some people who act like jerks) about clashes between "traditionalists" and "revisionaries." I use scare quotes of course because the "traditionalists" are only interested in their received version of tradition, and "revisionists" often have many faith-based non-negotiables.

anyway, he takes us through several intract
Samantha
Dec 11, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a very useful look at how the different strains of Judaism have evolved in the U.S. And their relationship to Israel. Immediately after reading this book I have a better understanding of some of the news coming out of Israel. I selfishly wish this book could be rewritten every 5 or 10 years to keep me up-to-date. This is not a comprehensive text, nor does it try to be. But it shows how these divisions have grown through telling specific stories of American Jews, their backgrounds an ...more
Robert Wechsler
May 07, 2013 Robert Wechsler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A very well written look at a variety of situations where the views and interests of secular and religious Jews have collided in the U.S. or, at least, among American Jews. One even takes place in New Haven, soon after I moved to the area. It grew out of an issue at Yale involving co-ed living arrangements.

Freedman is a first-rate storyteller, especially good at portraits that are done not physically, but professionally and philosophically. He gets way deeper than most journalism. I look forward
Mintzis
A well done study of what divides Jews from each other. The case studies, with one exception, were well chosen to illustrate the problem. I wasn't that taken, however, with the intro to each study and the wrap up.
Jon
Feb 21, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful in understanding the various divisions within 20th Century Judaism in the U.S. I had no previous knowledge of American Judaism before reading this book, and this book was a good way to begin learning.
Linda
Nov 25, 2007 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book examines Jewish identity in America. It describes the struggles between Orthodox communities and less observant Jewish communities. It gives descriptions of the Jewish environment in a few cities in the US (unexpected one's like Salt Lake City, Clevland).
Donna
Jun 14, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbiased and impartial treatment of the tensions between the various spectrums of American Jewish community.
Heyden
Heyden rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Jane Mendelsohn
Jane Mendelsohn rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Betty
Betty rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2010
Jennifer Garshofsky
Jennifer Garshofsky rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2007
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2011
Adina
Adina rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Adam Allenberg
Adam Allenberg rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Rhianon Huot
Rhianon Huot rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Cydnee
Cydnee rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Mike Witcombe
Mike Witcombe rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Karolina Rzadkowolska
Karolina Rzadkowolska rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2015
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Paulatics
Paulatics rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Amiel Handelsman
Amiel Handelsman rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Justin Swanstrom
Justin Swanstrom rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Achikam Yogev
Achikam Yogev rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Wendyloraine
Wendyloraine rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Tensy MB
Tensy MB rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Samuel G. Freedman is a columnist for The New York Times and a professor at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. He is the author of seven acclaimed books, most recently "Breaking The Line," and has been a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.
More about Samuel G. Freedman...