Start by marking “Mid Ocean” as Want to Read:

T. Rafael Cimino

Read eBook* *Different edition

Mid Ocean

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Special Agent Joel Kenyon, just out of the U.S. Customs Academy, has been assigned to the badlands of drug enforcement, the Florida Keys. In a short time he must adjust himself to lifestyle of sandals, Jimmy Buffett and the quest for the perfect frozen drink.

Set in 1984, Mid Ocean will take you to the Caribbean wild west. A place tourists never see, where, for centuries,
Nook, 422 pages
Published December 9th 2009 by Akula Media Group (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mid Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mid Ocean

Bill T
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I worked on the TV series and Movie Miami Vice with this author, T. Rafael Cimino (Todd to us). This book is so true to life, I don't know where to begin. A true talent, Mr. Cimino is an artist with his pen. Amazing detail of a life that I've lived and miss so much.
Pat
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get it. I know other reviewers rated it highly but I really struggled through this book. There was lots of info about boats and a huge cast of characters some of whom seemed to have little or no relevance to the story.

It was a very intricate plot - unfortunately most of it didn't seem to lead anywhere. I couldn't see the purpose of much of the narrative. When I got to the end it was all very ho-hum, and what happened to all those characters? I didn't know and didn't care.
Patrick Schultheis
I'm surprised I finished it. The writing was awful. The editing was non-existent. There were misspellings! The characters were not believable. The plot was ok, but there were irrelevant episodes and subplots that made no sense.
Loganville Tiger
Eh...... Lots of characters and character development that had nothing to do with the main story - made it tough to follow who was actually connected to the plot. Atlanta (my home town) being a setting for a small part of the book increased my interest - but reference to it "snowing" in Atlanta on more than one occasion during the course of the book soured that for me - we are lucky to get a single snow every few years or so. The author also attempted to inject light humor throughout the read th ...more
Kristopher Stuggen
I could almost feel the salt spray coming over the bow of the boat as a read "Mid Ocean" by T. Rafael Cimino. The author's depiction of 1984 South Florida is flawless. In an age that transformed this part of the country and defined a decade, Mid Ocean hits the nail on the head with blow by blow prose that grabs the reader and doesn't let go until the last page.

Mid Ocean was written by ex-Miami Vice (TV Series) writer, marine director, T. Rafael Cimino and his in depth portrayal of the drug smug
John Cranor
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cimino
Anything that gets me singing Smugglers Blues is good.
Nicholai
Jan 28, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Well there you have it, only good looking girls like this.
What more proof do you need, go get this book immediately pawn.
Marina Alazar
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandfather was a Venezuelan immigrant who came to Miami in the 70's. As a result this is where I was raised. I used to listen to all the stories of the drug dealing and smuggling and it wasn't until I read Mid Ocean that I had a truely graphic picture of what really happened. My own father was killed on 88th Street in a drug deal and this specific part of crime drama has a special place in my heart. Now I keep this book very close to me. Thank you to Mr. Cimino for writing it.
Debbie
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Mid Ocean was akin to jumping onto a movie set and becoming part of the story. It usually takes me several weeks to read a book of this length but once I began reading it I couldn't put it down. The portrayal of the drug trade era, south Florida and the surrounding environment of the time, was spot on. When I finished the last page I was a little sad...like parting with new friends. I hope a movie will be made from this book. I just received Table 21 and will begin a new adventure readin ...more
Svetlina Kiryakova
I was captivated by the first page and blown away with the ending. I am very critical of American fiction writers but found this book to be very realistic and straight forward. I understand that a film is in the works and cant wait for that to happen. I strongly recommend this book.
Anne
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-rapheal-cimino
I thought enough about this book to be on my second time around , to savor more details. I tend to read too fast (the good ones) Could not put it down either time Thank you T Rafael for the adventure. Keep on writing.

HOWARD MCCONNELL
May 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I thought it would be. A lot of characters that went no where. I really like this genre,but this story didn't fit into it.

Guess I've been spoiled by book's like, Blow or Smokescreen. I've never written a book. So I will give the author credit for writing one
Andrea
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was always a fan of Miami Vice. Mid Ocean is the latest in this great storyline of drugs, cops and South Florida. When I found out the Author was a big part of the TV series it made this thrilling story that much better.
Tommy Schlamme
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrilller
A brilliant read. I know this author and am pleased to give my unbiased appraisal of his work. Cheers and much success my friend.
Val Wilkerson
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books-read
This was really a fun read, its about the drug runners in Key West, the coast guard
chasing them, about boats, boats, boats.
Brenda Zalka
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read, exciting, intriguing and so real.
Bjorn Johansson
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mid Ocean reads like a vivid movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend to all.
Chris Wilson
Well written, but all of the technical boating terms were too much. Seems like it was filler. Also the ending left a lot to be desired, especially when it came to some of the "villains."
Patience Sloan
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this author! Great stuff. I'm originally from South Florida and am a huge fan of Miami Vice which this author wrote part of. Waiting on more from him!
Andi Cary
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I recommend to all!
Nikola Kolev
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I was cruising to the Bahamas in a 100 mile an hour Cigarette boat. This author's descriptive style are both inducing and mentally persuasive. A true instant classic!
Jan
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bought
Shades of Miami Vice but based on true events! Drug smugglers and US Customs deal with each other in Florida and lots of twist and turns in the story. Enjoyed reading!
Art Tobin
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read from this author and I love his work. I am very selective and I give this book 5 stars because it's great.
Shepherd
Bradley Whitford
Jul 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Shores We Walk
  • The Quick Adios (Times Six)
  • The Storm Killer
  • Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)
  • Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent Into Crystal Meth Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland
  • Bones of Coral
  • Key West, Tequila, a Pinch of Salt and a Quirky Slice of America
  • Lysergic
  • The Real Verdict: My Quest for the Freedom I Never Had
  • Cannabis: A History
  • A Cold Night for Alligators
T. Rafael Cimino (born Todd Rafael Cimino, June 4th, 1963 Wayne, NJ, USA) is an American novelist and screenwriter. He grew up in Key Largo, Florida in the Florida Keys, attending the Island Christian School in Islamorada, Florida where he graduated from in 1981. He then attended the University of Florida and the Florida Atlantic University where he graduated with a Master’s degree in Naval Archit ...more
More about T. Rafael Cimino...

“Prolific irony - For 8 years, the finger on the button that could end the world belonged to a president who couldn't pronounce the word "nuclear.” 52 likes
“Your right of religious freedom ends where my right of religious abstinence begins...” 32 likes